I can breathe again.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

I can breathe again.

Post by oleorezinator »

I’m very thankful.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
an seanduine

Re: I can breathe again.

Post by an seanduine »

This morning, for the first time in a long time, felt the need for the joy of making music. . .reached over and grabbed a whistle and played The Hunter´s House. Working on The Skylark. Looking for other joyous tunes. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

To better days!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, I'm still going to be watching cat videos, so...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

For your viewing pleasure. . .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd4fe0sdIOM

:lol: Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

PB+J wrote:Image
Try This, doing the rounds elsewhere

(and FWIW, the butcher's in the pic above is my local butcher shop, when Frank Healy, the musical butcher on the shop front, was running it. The shop closed some years ago and briefly doubled as an outlet for flutes and fiddles in july 2019)

(David Power selling fidles, 2019)
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote:For your viewing pleasure. . .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd4fe0sdIOM
At the end of the day, a cat's a cat after all.
Mr.Gumby wrote:Try This, doing the rounds elsewhere
Release the flying clichés!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

So can I (post-covid), thankfully, but I think my whisky tasting days may have come to a premature end. My sense of smell has not recovered and I would say I have only 60% of my original.

Moral of the story, drink your whisky while you can, and play your bagpipes even when sick - it’ll blast those alveoli back open.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:My sense of smell has not recovered and I would say I have only 60% of my original.
I'm trying to imagine this but can't. What's it like?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Not to worry. Smell receptors will regenerate and eventually recover. :D

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

an seanduine wrote:Not to worry. Smell receptors will regenerate and eventually recover. :D

Bob
Hm, maybe. I was listening to interviews with several people yesterday. All of them had long term loss off smell and taste.

This article (in the Guardian today) has some perspective as well.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
an seanduine wrote:Not to worry. Smell receptors will regenerate and eventually recover. :D

Bob
Hm, maybe. I was listening to interviews with several people yesterday. Allo of them had long term loss off smell and taste.

This article (in the Guardian today) has some perspective as well.
As the virus has supposedly not been around more than approx. a year, I'm not sure that anything really qualifies as long-term yet, unless organs (such as lungs) or other systems are damaged. I've had loss of or altered taste from dental procedures that lasted about as long and did ultimately resolve. Bad luck, and unpleasant, though.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:My sense of smell has not recovered and I would say I have only 60% of my original.
Certainly not helpful when there's a gas leak. As for losing taste, maybe better than mint toothpaste with orange juice.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Nanohedron wrote:
Well, imagine that instead of just having a continuous “smell survey” of your surroundings, you get bits and pieces. A waft here, a whiff there, despite that what you’re cooking usually fills the whole house with the smell of garlic and butter. Like, I’ll go “ooh, I smell garlic” and then realize “well, duh, I’m standing over a pan full of it.”

And I just can’t smell certain things. Like bleach - at all. I used to use bleach solutions for sanitizing my homebrew equipment, but I had to switch to one of those fancy sanitizers that breaks down to vinegar because I couldn’t smell when the bottles had been rinsed enough.

The most frustrating thing (aside not being able to quickly assess whether your pets cages are clean) is not being able to detect potentially dodgy food. I can stick my nose into a container, and aside from a vague odor of the contents most basic scent, it’s not really specific enough to tell if it smelled “off” or not.

This varies day to day, and breathing steam helps, but it’s definitely not back yet after almost a year.