I can breathe again.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: I can breathe again.

Post by Nanohedron »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:Well, imagine that instead of just having a continuous “smell survey” of your surroundings, you get bits and pieces. A waft here, a whiff there, despite that what you’re cooking usually fills the whole house with the smell of garlic and butter. Like, I’ll go “ooh, I smell garlic” and then realize “well, duh, I’m standing over a pan full of it.”

And I just can’t smell certain things. Like bleach - at all. I used to use bleach solutions for sanitizing my homebrew equipment, but I had to switch to one of those fancy sanitizers that breaks down to vinegar because I couldn’t smell when the bottles had been rinsed enough.

The most frustrating thing (aside not being able to quickly assess whether your pets cages are clean) is not being able to detect potentially dodgy food. I can stick my nose into a container, and aside from a vague odor of the contents most basic scent, it’s not really specific enough to tell if it smelled “off” or not.

This varies day to day, and breathing steam helps, but it’s definitely not back yet after almost a year.
Damn.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Nanohedron wrote:Damn.
Yeah. Mask up, people. I got lucky, comparatively speaking. As a woodwind player I am exceptionally lucky I didn't lose more.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Damn.
Yeah. Mask up, people. I got lucky, comparatively speaking. As a woodwind player I am exceptionally lucky I didn't lose more.
Indeed. I know of someone online who is young-ish (30s?) and fairly healthy-- as in, would ride her bike for long distances daily, etc.-- and got sick... it's been months and she is still unable to even walk very far, cannot work full-time (and is starting to think about finding out what she will do if she can't ever return to full-time work).

People talk about this as if either you die or you're completely fine... that's not the case, and plenty of people are left with long-term or lifetime health problems. Frankly, the above scenario scares me far more than dying from this thing. If I die, my troubles are over, so who cares. But if I suffer lifelong damage, I will have decades of figuring out how to pay my bills and take care of the basics of life.
Last edited by Katharine on Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

We just had a scare. I developed the symptoms of a cold, and we have a family friend who developed cold symptoms, was routinely tested and came up positive. So I went for a test and was banished into quarantine in the basement. Happily, the test came up negative.

I have no idea how much we can count on that test, but we have nothing else really to go on. I'm hoping that a rational federal government can manage this better, but it's fascinating to look at the variation in how the disease has affected different countries. In the meantime, we are wearing double masks and gong back to ordering groceries online

This pandemic will be the subject of discussion and scrutiny and analysis for decades.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

it's fascinating to look at the variation in how the disease has affected different countries
We're in our third lockdown since before chirstmas. There was a brief respite before that but the new more virulent strain of the virus from the UK has become the dominant strain and lockdown is to continue for at least another month. If anything, things seem to become harder as time goes on.

I know you have some of the new variants there too but I am not sure to what extend, but be prepared to see things worsen when they become the more prevalent strains. Some of the vaccines appear less effective against some of the new strains, particularly the South African and South American ones.

It'll be a while before we see the end of all this.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Sure I'm not the only one who's noted this topic's a classic example of thread drift! :wink:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Peter Duggan wrote:Sure I'm not the only one who's noted this topic's a classic example of thread drift! :wink:
The last few posts are completely related
to the original. My relief is due to a menace
who has been muted for the time being and
most of the infections in the US are a direct
result of that menace. The breath of relief
is a fleeting one at best. Stay tuned and
wear yer ****ing mask!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:Sure I'm not the only one who's noted this topic's a classic example of thread drift! :wink:
When you're trying to avoid the ignominy of thread lockage, sometimes it's the only thing you can do. And this one's on a razor's edge.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
it's fascinating to look at the variation in how the disease has affected different countries
We're in our third lockdown since before chirstmas. There was a brief respite before that but the new more virulent strain of the virus from the UK has become the dominant strain and lockdown is to continue for at least another month. If anything, things seem to become harder as time goes on.

I know you have some of the new variants there too but I am not sure to what extend, but be prepared to see things worsen when they become the more prevalent strains. Some of the vaccines appear less effective against some of the new strains, particularly the South African and South American ones.

It'll be a while before we see the end of all this.
Yeah, remember last March when everybody thought this would blow over in like two months, tops? LOL.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.