Unusual / Rare Instruments

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
an seanduine
antispam: No

Re: Unusual / Rare Instruments

Post by an seanduine »

It´s a Harp Guitar.
Nanohedron wrote:
an seanduine wrote:I wouldn´t use ozone on any fine wooden objects. It has been researched as a reagent to aid liquefaction of wood.

Bob
I strongly suspect there's a school of opinion that holds that a puddle, where once was a rackett, is never a bad thing.
:D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote:It´s a Harp Guitar.
Naawww - where's the harp part?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

OK, nano, the man playing that beast is Stephen Bennett. . .he plays Harp Guitars. His web page is https://harpguitar.com/?page_id=315 He also has quite a presence on YouTube. Most of the instruments he plays are more ´orthodox´ shaped Harp Guitars. . .the kind I have been serenaded by in Mexican Cantinas. . .Arpas Guittarras. He´s not clear, but I think that one is a very old Symphonic Bass Harp Guitar. . .the free bass strings extend down past the second tone hole. Clearly not a ´Larson´ style Harp Guitar.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

oleorezinator wrote:https://youtu.be/_aY6TxC1ojA
Pretty wild stuff. And there's an Irish connection to the Yaybahar: "Thar Toinn / Seaborne" (2020) album by Irish singer Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh features yaybahar played by her husband musician Billy Mag Fhloinn. The Irish Eco review of the album’s final track “Port Na bPúcaí” calls yaybahar "an otherworldly-sounding instrument" that "makes an entirely mysterious sound that resonates with the lore surrounding the song and complements Nic Amhlaoibh’s singing nicely." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaybahar

Here's Port na bPúcaí by Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh (vocals) & Billy Mag Fhloinn (yaybahar):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C5QqFapcuw
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote:He´s not clear, but I think that one is a very old Symphonic Bass Harp Guitar. . .the free bass strings extend down past the second tone hole. Clearly not a ´Larson´ style Harp Guitar.
Well, I wish we could find out more, because I don't see free strings; I wonder if they could be inside the body, but that doesn't sound practical for a number of reasons.
stiofan wrote:Here's Port na bPúcaí by Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh (vocals) & Billy Mag Fhloinn (yaybahar):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C5QqFapcuw
When I heard the yaybahar played in oleorezinator's link, my first thought was, You could call whales with that thing. Apparently I haven't been the only one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Perhaps the theremin isn't all that rare anymore in some musical circles, but I think it's fair to say it's a bit not-so-usual in the pantheon of more conventional instruments. Here's Maestro Leon himself playing his unique invention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qf9O6c20o

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Nanohedron wrote:
an seanduine wrote:He´s not clear, but I think that one is a very old Symphonic Bass Harp Guitar. . .the free bass strings extend down past the second tone hole. Clearly not a ´Larson´ style Harp Guitar.
¨Nanohedron¨ wrote:Well, I wish we could find out more, because I don't see free strings; I wonder if they could be inside the body, but that doesn't sound practical for a number of reasons.
Here is a continuation of the story on this strange beast. The player is indeed Stephen Bennet, an extremely talented guitarist and player of what are called Harp Guitars. He very kindly pointed me to Gregg Miner and his marvelous Museum,
http://www.minermusic.com/ Mr. Miner pointed me to this page: http://minermusic.com/inst_list.htm The one we were seeking is in the ¨Flat Top, Extended Base¨ sub-family. It is by Charles Stumcke, Boston, 1853. Gregg Miner tells me he also has a Scherr, by Emilius Scherr, the patent holder, built c. 1937, Philadelphia. WARNING: This rabbit-hole is enormous and has fantastic photographs! You have been Warned!

:D Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote:WARNING: This rabbit-hole is enormous and has fantastic photographs! You have been Warned!
A dizzying array indeed. Compared against the list's harp guitar stringing descriptions (5+6, 8+6, what have you) the extended base (NOT bass!) guitars are listed as having only six strings and no more, so we may safely conclude that these are not harp guitars, but an eccentric design. But to what purpose? That's my question. There must be a reason for it beyond mere whimsy, or it wouldn't have been repeated, I should think. Counterbalance, maybe?

Here's the Scherr:

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Here is a detail of the Scherr (from the 1830´s, not 1930´s :oops: ) Image

These were patented and marketed as ´Harp-Guitars´, but aren´t ´Harp-Guitars´ in the modern organological sense in that they don´t have free, unfretted strings.

My ill-educated guess is that with nearly a complete scale-length and an auxiliary tone hole in the extension, the idea was to get unfretted strings to ´ring-out´ as you played.

When I studied classical/flamenco technique I was taught to either damp or let ring sympathetic strings to enhance the mode/scale of the piece.

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Nanohedron wrote:
an seanduine wrote:Compared against the list's harp guitar stringing descriptions (5+6, 8+6, what have you) the extended base (NOT bass!) guitars are listed as having only six strings and no more, so we may safely conclude that these are not harp guitars, but an eccentric design. But to what purpose? That's my question. There must be a reason for it beyond mere whimsy, or it wouldn't have been repeated, I should think. Counterbalance, maybe?
Was the Scherr played in this fashion?
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
oleorezinator

Post by oleorezinator »

And in regard to how the Scherr might have been played
is the curious intersection of the bowed and plucked.
The smaller viols and even the viola da gamba
were sometimes played across the knee like a guitar
opposed to on the lap or between the knees.
. Image
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

Oleoresonator beat me to it. The extended foot would make the wooden floor a resonator and enrich the bass. I often put my mountain dulcimers on a table for the same result.
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

oleorezinator wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:34 am And in regard to how the Scherr might have been played
is the curious intersection of the bowed and plucked.
The smaller viols and even the viola da gamba
were sometimes played across the knee like a guitar
opposed to on the lap or between the knees.
. Image

When at College, the Music Hall was donated a suite of 5 Da Gambas. None of which were played plucked when the accompanied our recorder group as continuo.

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi