Giant Wheezing Kazoo

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Giant Wheezing Kazoo

Post by stiofan »

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Giant Wheezing Kazoo

Post by PB+J »

Wow apparently it was intentional! And you can hear it from the other side of the bay!

It's almost always windy there. Kind of cool but seems like a fundamentally bad idea
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote:Wow apparently it was intentional! And you can hear it from the other side of the bay!

It's almost always windy there. Kind of cool but seems like a fundamentally bad idea
If they had to retrofit the bridge for wind issues, surely there must have been more acoustically neutral choices available; this choice makes for a quality-of-life nosedive. And never mind the human population; the local fauna are going to be stressed, big time. Thumbs down.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I kind of like it...

Then again, I don't have to live near it...
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

It seems like a terrible idea, really--who wants hear that all the time? I wonder if they miscalculated how loud it would be.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Nanohedron wrote:the local fauna are going to be stressed, big time.
Good point, though I'm not sure how many animals (above the water, anyway) are in earshot of it, except the coyotes that apparently have been crossing over it from Marin County to SF (there's now a small population of them in the Presidio and GG Park). But, all things considered, if I were still living in SF, I probably wouldn't have been in favour of it.
PB+J wrote:who wants hear that all the time?
Well, the closest "neighborhood" is the Presidio, and I'm not sure it's in earshot of the wheezing kazoo, but could be.
Katharine wrote:I kind of like it...
Then again, I don't have to live near it...
In the 20 years I lived in SF, I rode my bike across the bridge a few times, and the blustery wind was enough to dissuade me from making it a regular outing. Like I mentioned above, I'm not sure how far the sound really carries into the city itself, but maybe it does.
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

Now here's a real "giant kazoo" atop the Kazoo Factory and Museum in Eden, NY. Dunno if it's a wheezing one or not.
http://www.edenkazoo.com/