Can ¨Famine Food¨ Help Save the Planet?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
an seanduine
antispam: No

Can ¨Famine Food¨ Help Save the Planet?

Post by an seanduine »

Global livestock accounts for 14.5 per cent of man-made greenhouse gases. The Rumen or fore-stomach, the first of four stomachs in cows and other ruminants is where fermentation breaks down feed and produces the bulk of the methane gas that domestic cattle create and release into the atmosphere through burps and excretion. Adding as little as .3 per cent of Asparagopsis Taxiformis, known as Dulse or Dillisk in Ireland to both cattle feed and dairy-cow feed reduces methane production by from 80% to 98%.
Dillisk, duileasg as gaeilge, was referred to as ´famine food´ in Ireland. This Red Alga also fixes carbon from seawater, thus reducing Oceanic Acidification. There has always been a cottage industry in Ireland for gathering Dulse. (See the lyrics to Dulahan). This new research could be an economic as well as ecological boon to the Republic. A science heavy article can be found here: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 958v1.full A much more readable article can be found here: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/climate- ... 4c0ff08393

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Can ¨Famine Food¨ Help Save the Planet?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Dúlamán na Binne Bui

I don't know about 'famine food' and cow farts, seaweed is riding a wave of popularity between Prannie Rhatigan's book and everything else, 'foraging' trends and a variety of 'Wild Atlantic' (always 'Wild' or ' Atlantic') seaweed baths and sea vergetable products that have become available in recent years. (Here is a local business)

It's a handy mulch for the garden (the veg garden is covered in about a foot of it and there's loads around our fruit trees and bushes).

We also pick dulse, wakame, kelp/kombu carrageen and other ones to add to the diet. And bring back a bit of samphire while we're at it. Plenty of it to be had, if you know where to look. It's not a miracle cure though.

The travelling Wild Atlantic Seaweed Baths recently (before the latest lockdown):

My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote:Adding as little as .3 per cent of Asparagopsis Taxiformis, known as Dulse or Dillisk ... to both cattle feed and dairy-cow feed reduces methane production by from 80% to 98%.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
an seanduine wrote:Adding as little as .3 per cent of Asparagopsis Taxiformis, known as Dulse or Dillisk ... to both cattle feed and dairy-cow feed reduces methane production by from 80% to 98%.

Wrong end, Nano, wrong end.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

Wrong end, Nano, wrong end.
Maybe not:

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

That's really cool, Bob. I have a (sort of) family member who does seaweed research; I've sent this to him to see what his reaction is.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, Nano, that serves me right for being a smartarse, doesn't it? :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Well, Nano, that serves me right for being a smartarse, doesn't it? :lol:
If it's any consolation, I don't delight in being a pedant.

But since I'm at it, I might as well crack on: Asparagopsis taxiformis is not dulse, which is Palmaria palmata.
Mr.Gumby wrote:We also pick ... wakame ...
Didn't know wakame grew in Irish waters. Probably my favorite. You can only get it dried hereabouts, though, but it's not a deal-breaker.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Nanohedron wrote: Didn't know wakame grew in Irish waters. Probably my favorite. You can only get it dried hereabouts, though, but it's not a deal-breaker.
The Korean grown/harvested stuff has a finer structure, the stuff you get here is a bit coarse.

Harvested and sold locally too :

Kelp used to be the big thing here, the 'sea rods' were harversted and dried and sold off to the plastics industry. There used to be big bundles drying all over the place near the coast. That ended some twenty years ago. But it was a bit of income for fishing communities for a long time.

The whole discussion around feeding cows seaweed to reduce emissions has been around for the last four or five years, IIRC.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote:The whole discussion around feeding cows seaweed to reduce emissions has been around for the last four or five years, IIRC.
Knowing what we know, and we're still only talking about it?