A renewable, carbon-neutral fuel source from ... iron?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: A renewable, carbon-neutral fuel source from ... iron?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Cool! I'd only heard of it in the context of solar/wind power, but it appears quite widely used.
Not quite wind/solar but look at Turlough Hill power station in Co Wicklow. Quite a spectacular project from the 1960s that uses its own off peak power to pump the water back into the reservoirs on the mountain. There's a great series of six or so videos up on youtube, from an RTE program.

But for the fun of it, and some forum relevant music footage : Turlough Hill 40th anniversary Gala Concert,
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:But this is speculation. I'm happy to be proven wrong, because I value knowledge and facts. But if nobody's tried it yet, somebody ought to ask: Okay, then - why not? Omelettes and eggs, and all that.
This.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Omelettes and eggs, and all that.
This.
It's a good thing he focused on ingredient quality and not the finished product: Milk or water? Browned or unbrowned? French, or everyone else? - because then the interview would never have ended; it already fast became a drag as it is.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Omelettes and eggs, and all that.
This.
It's a good thing he focused on ingredient quality and not the finished product: Milk or water? Browned or unbrowned? French, or everyone else? - because then the interview would never have ended; it already fast became a drag as it is.
How can you say that was a drag? That was poetry that was; sheer poetry. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:How can you say that was a drag? That was poetry that was; sheer poetry. :D
The dude was glibly talking out of his backside. You could see he knew right away that he'd stepped into a leaky boat, and had to start bailing fast. In my case, boredom won out over Schadenfreude.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:How can you say that was a drag? That was poetry that was; sheer poetry. :D
The dude was glibly talking out of his backside. You could see he knew right away that he'd stepped into a leaky boat, and had to start bailing fast. In my case, boredom won out over Schadenfreude.
He had more some years later ...

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
He had more some years later ...

:D
Hmm. He clearly has a working theory.

I had to look the guy up, because I didn't know anything about him. I'm kind of over "colorful" people right now.
KevinNot10
Tell us something.: I play pipes, flute, and whistle. Grew up in Canada, currently living in the UK. Current set is a Concert D David Quinn set c. 1980.

Post by KevinNot10 »

This is one of my favourite energy storage ideas: https://qz.com/1355672/stacking-concret ... re-energy/
Kevin
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

KevinNot10 wrote:This is one of my favourite energy storage ideas: https://qz.com/1355672/stacking-concret ... re-energy/
Compelling. I think it needs to take stack-destabilizing events like earthquakes into account, though.