Please tell me it isn´t so. . .

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Please tell me it isn´t so. . .

Post by Nanohedron »

AuLoS303 wrote:
david_h wrote:Yes, we know about nuts. So what does DoNuts translate to then? I .
Torus. Its basically a shape,a toroidal confectionary item
Which has already been pointed out well before the question was asked, by which time the general drift had shifted to something else. You won't get far ignoring a thread's continuity. It usually requires actual reading.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

However, hailing from Norwalk, Connecticut, these people have no excuse: https://www.facebook.com/pg/YumnutsNaturals/about/.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunborough wrote:However, hailing from Norwalk, Connecticut, these people have no excuse: https://www.facebook.com/pg/YumnutsNaturals/about/.
Somebody's up for a trademark infringement. :o
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I would add another observation to this discussion. Nano has quite adequately discussed the naughty resonance, at least in American ears, of YumNuts. The question of the meanings swirling around doughnuts has come up. I worked with an individual whose first language was not English, who delightedly persisted in pronouncing the word doughnuts as ´Dog-Nuts´, thus making a salacious commentary on some of the irrationalities of spelling in the English language.
As to the rest of this discussion, I am fairly certain General Anthony McAuliffe, of the famous defense of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge would have been able to illuminate various shades of meaning. I am not certain ´numbnuts´ was current slang during WWII, but McAuliffe would´ve twigged its usage as apt in describing the German Commander´s inability to understand his one word reply to a request for surrender.

:D Bob :D
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Nanohedron wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:
david_h wrote:Yes, we know about nuts. So what does DoNuts translate to then? I .
Torus. Its basically a shape,a toroidal confectionary item
Which has already been pointed out well before the question was asked, by which time the general drift had shifted to something else. You won't get far ignoring a thread's continuity. It usually requires actual reading.
Alright snarky pants...
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Tunborough wrote:[Singular or plural? An etymological relative of 'nutcase' or not? Quite a few Right Ponders may think it was something to do with cycling.
But cycling? Now you've lost me altogether.[/quote]Consider how you might feel after a long cycling trip on an uncomfortable bicycle seat.[/quote]

I have one pair of biking shorts that dos this to me after about 40 minutes.

Makes me feel like a nothinghead from "Welcome to the Monkey House."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Saddle is too high, &/or at the wrong angle.....
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote:I worked with an individual whose first language was not English, who delightedly persisted in pronouncing the word doughnuts as ´Dog-Nuts´, thus making a salacious commentary on some of the irrationalities of spelling in the English language.
This reminds me of a family that had the habit of deliberately discombobulating words: doughnuts as dog nuts, Wisconsin as Ex-consin, beverages as beaver eggs. I never knew them long enough to learn the greater corpus of their offenses, but I'm quite sure the sky was the limit.