Things to do while sequestering

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Things to do while sequestering

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:Does he do a video on how to put your tongue in your cheek and wind up 15,297 (and counting) people with nothing better to watch?
And how dead-serious he seems, too. I see it as a cry for help.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Ha, well I decided to practice a tune rather than quibble about the snip you changed your mind about. I did notice though. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:... rather than quibble about the snip you changed your mind about.
What on Earth are you talking about?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
david_h

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote:
david_h wrote:... rather than quibble about the snip you changed your mind about.
The first time I had a chance to quote your quote of me you missed out the "15,297 (and counting) " I regard this as significant because I put it in to clarify that we watchers may have been the target for his humour.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
The first time I had a chance to quote your quote of me you missed out the "15,297 (and counting) " I regard this as significant because I put it in to clarify that we watchers may have been the target for his humour.
I see. Well, I was just trying to keep current. Obviously I thought it was significant too, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

As to targets, it makes no difference. I was entertained - more or less - and I get to ponder his limits in coping with being cooped up.
david_h

Post by david_h »

I sometimes wonder if moderator posts don't trigger the board's crossing and edit flagging features in the same way as for the rest of us.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:I sometimes wonder if moderator posts don't trigger the board's crossing and edit flagging features in the same way as for the rest of us.
They don't. It's one of the perks, and I confess it has me in its talons.

My PMs still get flagged if I edit those, though. Drat.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote:
gwgtaylor wrote:I’m contemplating renting time in a jam space. Seems silly to rent a rehearsal studio across town to squawk on the flute by myself yet here we are.
You don't practice at home, then? But I get that.

When I had my fill of big sessions, what I used to do on a regular basis was have house sessions with one other person, less often two. Very intimate, and room to fumble happily. If I were doing that now, it would be at a sensible spatial remove instead of huddled at the table, but I think it would be worth it all the same. Maybe that's doable? At least you wouldn't be playing alone, and you could think of it as serenading the S.O. :)
I don't, either. I live in an apartment where the walls are so thin I can sometimes hear my upstairs neighbor's phone vibrate. I do musical things inside very rarely (basically, only when I have to record stuff for church, and even then I do so cringing in guilt {but not so much guilt because my upstairs neighbor stomps and drops things without having the rugs his lease requires him to have, and the guy across the hall screams at his videogames sometimes until well past midnight}).

All of my recorder and whistle practice all summer was at local parks (violin I am not brave enough to play in public so I pretty much never play). Now it's too cold for that, so I have no choice but to put them away for some months. (I used to be allowed to go to church to practice, but obviously that's right out this year.)

Not fun, but it happens.

(But I dunno, guys. I am not at all bored. In fact, not having a commute means I have some extra time for things I like to do but just didn't have time for before. Artsy stuff. More reading. More music practice and writing. Even slightly more housework. Frankly I'd do a lot more things still if most of my waking hours weren't taken up by work. I'm not bored, I'm not distressed at being by myself, I admit I don't get it.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I tried to post this yesterday, when I was way up the thread, but for some reason the Board wouldn't let me ...

This specific creation is a bit late for Halloween this year, but maybe it could inspire other creations. Ink martinis (vodka, cranberry juice, blue curacao in proportions 4:3:1), roasted orange peel spiders, meringue spider webs with currant flies, black rice cookie bats, sushi pumpkins. :D

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Awww - wee temarizushi jack-o'-lanterns. A very kawaii spread, there, Ben.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Awww - wee temarizushi jack-o'-lanterns. A very kawaii spread, there, Ben.
It is quite, isn't it? I should have got a nice kogal outfit for Deb. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Awww - wee temarizushi jack-o'-lanterns. A very kawaii spread, there, Ben.
Kinky. But would she have worn it? Then again, maybe I'm peering too closely into doors that would better be left shut. :twisted:
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Kinky. But would she have worn it? Then again, maybe I'm peering too closely into doors that would better be left shut. :twisted:
Oh, we definitely wouldn't be leaving any doors open. :twisted:
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

ytliek wrote:I have watched the grass grow.
Have you also watched paint dry?
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Dan A. wrote:
ytliek wrote:I have watched the grass grow.
Have you also watched paint dry?
Not during this pandemic.