Things to do while sequestering

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Things to do while sequestering

Post by Nanohedron »

This would be a great time to learn to walk on one's hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z8KmZnHN-Q
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

It might come in handy sometime. :poke:
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Be on eBay constantly and buying too many instruments.
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

BigDavy wrote:Be on eBay constantly and buying too many instruments.
I've bought several new whistles this year, but only one came from eBay.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, at least this sequestering thing's given me a heap of time to learn how to to pronounce Bamlanivimab.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Nanohedron wrote:Well, at least this sequestering thing's given me a heap of time to learn how to to pronounce Bamlanivimab.
The pronunciation key was here the whole time.
https://youtu.be/M2npNkOtdZk
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

oleorezinator wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Well, at least this sequestering thing's given me a heap of time to learn how to to pronounce Bamlanivimab.
I wish I could thank you.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Spare ribs for Thanksgiving. The stores were out of turkeys.

One possible explanation is that buying for donation to those in need must have increased significantly; otherwise, would people be hoarding turkeys like toilet paper? That way lies madness.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote:Spare ribs for Thanksgiving. The stores were out of turkeys.

One possible explanation is that buying for donation to those in need must have increased significantly; otherwise, would people be hoarding turkeys like toilet paper? That way lies madness.
Possibly not hoarding, but lower supply to begin with. Seems I heard someone mention that a while back.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Katharine wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Spare ribs for Thanksgiving. The stores were out of turkeys.

Possibly not hoarding, but lower supply to begin with. Seems I heard someone mention that a while back.
Aha. I seem to have missed the memo. Still, I can't say that I was really surprised in any case. But they were out of chickens, too! And in a way I'm glad; a roast chicken on Thanksgiving is like a cultural slap in the face, so if you're going to buck tradition, it might as well be ribs; at least it won't look like as much of a farce.

Unlike our Kitchen God Ben, I don't cook much and almost never use the oven (T-day turkey's the SO's domain, and rightly so), but I volunteered to do up the ribs - and then realized that I don't know the first thing about ribs if it doesn't involve a day in the slow-cooker. Fortunately we have internet. If any of you haven't baked ribs before, it's simplicity itself: 300F, 3 hours, the last half of it covered; the rest is details. For prep I did the predictable: seasoned them with salt and pepper, and slathered them with a light coating of BBQ sauce; halfway through I generously spooned on more sauce, covered the pan w/ foil and back into the oven for another hour and a half, et voilà. Very tender indeed.

Here's how much of a cook I am not: they weren't spare ribs after all, but something called "country ribs", whatever the hell that is. I had no idea that ribs of the rural persuasion go ribless. How is it they're called "ribs", again?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

oleorezinator wrote:
I thought it was going to be Little Richard, but this covers more territory.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:
I thought it was going to be Little Richard, but this covers more territory.
... in HELL.
Greenfire
Tell us something.: I'm learning how to play the whistle, maybe one day I can branch out to another instrument. I'd love to learn the pipes, but I can only afford a whistle!

Post by Greenfire »

Please don't show that nose whistling video to my husband, I'd lose custody of them.

As for things to try while sequestering, here's a few I've tried and some I've failed at, that I recommend.

Try to learn Hand Flute (result, fail)

Learn to whistle loud with two fingers (result fail)

Make a ton of different paper airplanes and compete with someone else to see who made the best (result, total win, we'll keep doing this)

learn to make profiteroles/cream puffs/choux pastry.(result, win win win win win definitely do this, it's way easier than it looks!)

learn to move each toe independently. (result mixed, for me it was great, I can do this, my husband didn't keep trying past two minutes. supposed to be good for you though)

learn calligraphy (result mixed, husband can do it and likes it, I prefer to watch him do it than do it myself)

learn to lockpick (result not yet available, it's a work in progress, but husband is keener to learn than I am so will be a solo project)

and a skill I think is good to have though I didn't learn it during the virus, but may be hard to learn if you can't go outside:

learn to orient from a map and properly use a compass.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Nanohedron wrote:One possible explanation is that buying for donation to those in need must have increased significantly ...
It's possible:

9-Year-Old NC Girl Donates 107 Turkeys, 35 Hams To Food Bank

I say where there's smoke, there's fire.
Greenfire wrote:learn to lockpick
Very forward-thinking! I applaud your industry.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote:
Greenfire wrote:learn to lockpick
Very forward-thinking! I applaud your industry.
Tried it once, as a friend had a lockpicking set he let me borrow. I spent a lot of time trying to pick a MasterLock I had that had a reputation for being so easy to pick that you could practically do it with spaghetti (I think someone somewhere did), never came even close, decided I probably had no skills in this area... (I think I may have slightly bunged up something inside the lock, though... luckily it still works.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.