You’ve been a very naughty boy (or girl)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

You’ve been a very naughty boy (or girl)

Post by oleorezinator »

Schandflöte. Kinda looks like a scotch pipe.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: You’ve been a very naughty boy (or girl)

Post by benhall.1 »

Wow. What a weird contraption. Was that really a thing?
Chris OBJ

Post by Chris OBJ »

If there was such an item my wife would be insisting I used it !.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

According to posts circulating for the past year or so on FB this is a device used to punish a musician for not playing well. Since I read none of the languages in this posting I am only reporting what I have heard elsewhere. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Wow. What a weird contraption. Was that really a thing?
I've never seen it before, either. But I wouldn't be surprised; I see it as information, rather than merely the perverse whim of bored and creative hands: Back in the day when public punishment was common - emphasis on "public" - if you were illiterate or simply a fresh passerby you could in this instance know immediately what the offense was and, if you were so inclined, tailor your taunts accordingly. The Scold's Bridle would no doubt have served in much the same way. As such, they also served as very specific warnings to all who might qualify for a similar fate.

Note also that the punishment wasn't only shaming: there was light torture involved. The iron neck ring is fixed to the handheld part in such a way that if the arms dropped from fatigue, the ring would be at an angle that could press into the base of the skull, and I'm guessing it could bite down on the collarbones, too. Ouch. To me it looks as if there's some room for you to vary your torments so you won't get bored. Wickedly ingenious.

But we don't do that sort of thing anymore. Nowadays B&D's shifted to the private sector, where a Flute of Shame's a bit too campy even for the most tricked-out dungeon. Simple clamps are fine, thank you; much easier to clean, too. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Nanohedron wrote:The Scold's Bridle would no doubt have served in much the same way. As such, they also served as very specific warnings to all who might qualify for a similar fate.
Here’s a variation on the theme with both yokes depicted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrew%27s_fiddle
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, the good old Shrew's Fiddle. Only came across that for the first time recently in the TV drama series Jamestown. But the perp wasn't a woman as the name suggests, so one suspects that since they already had stocks, this was a punishment for all who said Too Much of the Wrong Thing to the Wrong People - but I don't remember what the guy's offense actually was. In any case, he was in pretty bad odor both figuratively and literally, because they kept him in it for days. Went looking for a screenshot but can't find one. It looked a lot like this, though:

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Just noticed that behind the tandem Shrew's Fiddle, standing on the floor is another Shame Flute! How did I miss that?

This one's neck ring can pivot, which suggests some possibilities for customizing the punishment: free-pivoting for a kinder, gentler experience (such as it is), or if you're sadistic, set it at an exquisitely difficult angle and crank the bolt tight so it won't slip. I came to this possibility because here the neck ring does double duty as a base, which wouldn't work if you couldn't secure it.
oleorezinator

Post by oleorezinator »

Nanohedron wrote:How did I miss that?
I was wondering myself.......
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Pretty sure I saw this in a tv show recently
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog