not music, but amazing nightingale song

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dedindi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: hi, i'm 46
musician and composer.
live in forest for a many years.
playing guitar, bass, tabla.
music is my only friend

Re: not music, but amazing nightingale song

Post by dedindi »

stiofan wrote:
dedindi wrote:this season, nightingale nests only 10 meters from my recording studio
recorded him these nights
dedindi wrote:since the birds are entirely silent at this time, there are fantastic cricket choirs drowning in the sounds of the wind.
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing all the lovely sounds of nature from your surroundings in Ukraine.

We have several species of owls that are active at night where I live (Great Horned owl, Western screech owl, Barn owl) that have been very vocal this past fall/winter. On occasion, I'll play my Native American flute in the backyard late at night and it almost seems like they're responding to certain sounds/notes. But maybe they're just mocking me.:lol:
my pleasure, stiofan

there are owls here too, but i haven't been able to catch their calls yet
i even made a house for them but they still haven't moved in

birds are definitely musical
i played guitar with the nightingale for several nights and he followed the rhythm and even complex modulations ))
dedindi
musician and composer.
music is my only friend

Post by dedindi »

my summer attempts to catch the golden oriole song

Of all the birds in the Northern hemisphere, the golden oriole has one of the most bewitching songs often reminiscent of a florid flute melody if it were played in a low register. This rather large bird with yellow and black plumage prefers to live in the crowns of tall trees and rarely appears in open spaces.

When moving through the treetops, a pair of golden orioles are most likely to either perform what sounds like a genuine flute duet with fanciful variations or simply communicate by using harsh calls that resemble yowls of a cat whose tail has been stepped on.

This review contains a transcript of the sounds recorded in June during daylight hours featuring songs and calls of golden orioles accompanied by other birds, insects, wind, and other sounds of nature. These soundscapes were recorded in the depths of a mixed forest where a set of microphones captured a stereo panorama. The captured soundscapes are that of a meadow with a diameter of about 100 meters that produces a multi-level echo and deep reverb.

The recording session begins in the early hours, and a soft breeze can be heard moving the crowns of deciduous and coniferous trees in a sonic imitation of the sea surf, somewhat drowning out the bustle of morning birds. The golden oriole sings in the distance but its legato melody is clearly audible in the center of the stereo panorama and completely fills the background thanks to the layered echo of a forest meadow.

Listen to Golden oriole song accompanied by other birds:
https://youtu.be/Z8bzqJ-Agns

Closer to noon, the chirping of grasshoppers and bush-crickets comes to the foreground of the soundscape, creating a truly meditative environment, especially with the recurring rustle of the wind. Shifting a little to the right, the golden oriole spreads its song through the meadow, now complemented by muted calls of other birds including thrushes, wagtails, and swallows.

Listen to Golden oriole song accompanied by insects and other birds:
https://youtu.be/S_FL225ZKDQ

By afternoon, the wind significantly picks up and completely masks all sounds produced by insects and birds, except for the loud communication between the pair of golden orioles still audible in the left channel. The couple alternates the scandalous call with their usual song performed in a higher register, and their voices gradually subside as the birds retire into the depths of the forest. Here you can also hear the creak of a tree swaying in the wind.

Listen to Golden orioles' talk accompanied by wind and other birds:
https://youtu.be/g2QYRg6EV70

In the next soundscape, the golden oriole is localized in the left channel, while on the right you can hear the shrill call of the shrike and the distant song of another golden oriole. The wind, grasshoppers, and other birds also continue to harmonize.

Listen to Golden oriole song accompanied by wind:
https://youtu.be/ejJnRkIBVL4

For your relaxation, here is another extended soundscape from June of this year recorded in the afternoon. The recording features the sounds of birds and insects of the grassy meadow sheltered in a dense forest far from urban or industrial areas. On this hot summer day, the insects not once interrupted their song throughout the heatwave while the wind intensified and abated, revealing small details such as the small hammering sound in the left channel. This is the sound of a song thrush attempting to break the shell of a grape snail against the stone to eat the slug inside. Spans of swallows and insects sometimes interrupt the idyllic soundscape by moving right in front of the microphones. Golden orioles can also be heard moving closer from time to time.

Listen to Woodland sounds—bird calls, insects, and wind recorded on a summer morning:
https://youtu.be/oau0IoPfqVc

The soundscapes are processed with analog equipment and the maximum playback volume does not exceed their naturally-occurring volume levels, so you can listen to it without fear of hearing fatigue.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Alas, in North America we have no Golden Orioles, and our Baltimore Oriole (unrelated, but an example of convergent evolution) doesn't match the Golden's vocal range. But fortunately we don't lack for song: The common-as-dirt American Robin is one of our most melodious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCh-Ga7bu6M

It's my favorite native songbird, and a harbinger of Spring. Now that I mention it, they should be starting up soon. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
dedindi
musician and composer.
music is my only friend

Post by dedindi »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:58 pm Now that I mention it, they should be starting up soon. :)
what a pity that the birds' singing season is limited to only three months. after that, the soundscape is varied by insects, and in autumn-winter, we have only the noise of the wind.
dedindi
musician and composer.
music is my only friend

Post by dedindi »

i successfully caught a spring thunderstorm this year
on the recording, you can hear thunder, rain, wind, crickets, and of course a nightingale who occasionally weaves his song into the soundscape
https://youtu.be/KX6VO3QbNf4
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dedindi wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:59 am
Nanohedron wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:58 pm Now that I mention it, they should be starting up soon. :)
what a pity that the birds' singing season is limited to only three months. after that, the soundscape is varied by insects, and in autumn-winter, we have only the noise of the wind.
Well, in my locale we actually have some birds year-round. Some are resident (like the robin, chickadee, house sparrow, cardinal, blue jay, and crow, to name a few). But it's true that while there's less song or calls in the winter, we are not bereft of it. Although it's unusual, I've heard at least one robin sing in the early autumn (either way late to the party, or an optimist). Otherwise the birds dependably mark each season in their way; the cycle of time may be followed just by listening. Although winter here is when the land (usually) sleeps under a blanket of white, it isn't totally silent of sentient life, and if you watch, you see that many overwintering birds are actually quite busy. Seeing a male cardinal's red among the monochromatic landscape can bring a smile to one's face. Not a pity at all, to me; there are other birdly compensations when singing takes a back seat.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
dedindi
musician and composer.
music is my only friend

Post by dedindi »

Nanohedron wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:44 am
dedindi wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:59 am
what a pity that the birds' singing season is limited to only three months.
Not a pity at all, to me; there are other birdly compensations when singing takes a back seat.
you described your surroundings so poetically )
i love winter too as I have time to do a bunch of things that have accumulated over the summer )
i once tried to live in the tropics but missed the winter so much and decided to return after a few years
dedindi
musician and composer.
music is my only friend

Post by dedindi »

this recording of a nightingale was made on a May night
insects and other birds are silent because it was rather cold
the reverberation of the woods is clearly audible in the soundscape

https://youtu.be/aDTmQWmWxEI
dedindi
musician and composer.
music is my only friend

Post by dedindi »

here is last season's nightingale concert recorded at the end of May on a full moon
the night was warm, so the accompaniment of crickets is quite impressive

https://youtu.be/_jMbnr3Hn-Y
dedindi
musician and composer.
music is my only friend

Post by dedindi »

i uploaded two more soundscapes recorded last spring

here is an amazing rap battle between a thrush and a nightingale captured on a sunset
https://youtu.be/o2bMPHDhy3c

morning birds bustle in the including an intense conversation of swallows can be heard around 6:00
https://youtu.be/xH0jhu7V3Js
dedindi
musician and composer.
music is my only friend

Post by dedindi »

uploaded two more soundscapes recorded in May and June last year

here are sounds captured on a hot summer day featuring grasshoppers, crickets, wind, and birds including a sparrow who flew into our meadow to make a bit of a fuss
https://youtu.be/jE-YrfFQCkE

another May sunset with thrush, nightingale, cuckoo, crickets, wind, and couple of cats walking along the roof near the microphones
https://youtu.be/k5pKlxXPyFM