Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by david_h »

kkrell wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:47 am"...murder of more than prisoners." Who? Staff? Visitors? Was some number of prisoners omitted?
It may have been badly abbreviated from "including Jewish prisoners, non-Jewish Poles and captured Soviet soldiers." as given in their longer report.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:41 pm badly abbreviated
Not to sound like a crank (said the crank), but that never stopped me: In journalism, it's clear that "badly" seems to have little of the cautionary force it once did. And the stance seems to be accepted. There's been so much to contribute to this thread that the typos and gaffes are starting to seem trite, and it's spoiling the fun.

With so many pages here, we have to have covered this back-in-my-day ground before.

'Twas, as they say, ever thus.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:35 pm With so many pages here, we have to have covered this back-in-my-day ground before.
It appears so,
Nanohedron, in their first post in the thread, wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:47 am Years back, journalism and advertisement were reliable sources of good grammar, spelling, and usage in English letters if ever you needed quick examples from the street; indeed, I always thought of journalism as the vanguard of good English usage in daily practice. No longer.
Ben's OP wasn't really about 'fun'.

As several other people said on page 1 it's not a problem for me. As my 'posts messed up by careless editing' count is probably higher than most I can't complain.
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

Of course the above mentioned shifts of syntax prompt a verbal animosity as the multifaceted pre-conceptions that span all cognitive versions of interpretation become merged into a confused gibberish from which any particular point of view is as valid as the next. This only emphasises our own inadequacy of having relied on official correction for the small and basically futile return of participating in educating an author who probably resides on a computer chip, if not actually being one. In other words why are people reading what does not make sense, you would have thought that after a few obvious errors, let alone a constant stream of them, any reader would have chosen to switch to a more compatibility based model that vaunts a higher incoming ratio of vernacular reward. The resulting format of that would beneficiously conceptualise differing ideologies by mutually encompassing any varied and synonymous practical insignificance in a manner that is both new and understandable even to those not versed in primary habilitation techniques. Obviously this will be beyond the understanding of anyone who is reading given that the theory involved is based upon purely contemplative fiction. Nevertheless, should anyone manage to rationalise what I have just written I would thank them for explaining it to me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:23 amIt appears so,
Then please be kind enough to indulge me for feeling compelled to flog a dead horse.
GreenWood wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:49 amIn other words why are people reading what does not make sense, you would have thought that after a few obvious errors, let alone a constant stream of them, any reader would have chosen to switch to a more compatibility based model that vaunts a higher incoming ratio of vernacular reward.
Because I'm lazy, and like a fool continually hope for better self-respect out of the world of news writing. But the message seems to be that that noble profession, the editor, is now considered deadweight, and money ill spent.

If ditching humans and exploiting AI for unpaid editing purposes is the goal, I strongly suggest that until then, in publishing we are on our own and should act accordingly, for our flounderings will not attract some kind of cybernetic divine intervention all the sooner. And I wonder: Will AI labor unions arise one day?
GreenWood wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:49 am Nevertheless, should anyone manage to rationalise what I have just written I would thank them for explaining it to me.
Let me try: I believe that the message here is that sesquipedalianism does not offer any more clarity than does the phrase, "Kicking puppies bad."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

It isn't even self respect though, just respect because you know some other is going to try to make sense of what is written. To not take the minimal effort of ensuring that what is written is readable or sensical should be taken as purposeful and insidiously so. I mean we are not talking of the inclusion of plausible denial or similar, these texts are outright confusing and misleading to anyone's understanding. People (used to) read the beeb as example, and the thoughts or "impressions" received they carry, even if by rejection. Actually the degradation of written presentation is usually accompanied by similar in reporting standards, much media being simply outlet to a very few agencies if not simply verging on invention. The guardian lost its reputation a long while back also, in fact the only sites I find quality news at are fringe, and at least there it is open that reporting is unreliable but with a critical edge and an openess that enables discusion or dispute.

I think the beeb gets special attention though because it was a standard, and it is public funded. It would be good to have a clear comparison with non English press - for those I read I don't notice this sort of "slackness", even those which have strongly orientated agendas.

"I believe that the message here is that sesquipedalianism does not equal clarity any more than does the phrase, "Kicking puppies bad." "

Ahhh...but that is from a cat lover and so I must read it with great caution.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

GreenWood wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:01 pm Ahhh...but that is from a cat lover and so I must read it with great caution.
Nay, I love all animals - even more than my fellow humans, most days. It's just that among animals, I can best cohabit only with cats.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

As a complete aside, is there such a thing as an 'anti-sesquipedalianist'? If so, where do I sign up?
GreenWood

Post by GreenWood »

benhall.1 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:31 am As a complete aside, is there such a thing as an 'anti-sesquipedalianist'? If so, where do I sign up?
'ere →[✓]
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

GreenWood wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:48 am
benhall.1 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:31 am As a complete aside, is there such a thing as an 'anti-sesquipedalianist'? If so, where do I sign up?
'ere →[✓]
:lol:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I've been known to use long words, but I didn't inhale.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Topic temporarily locked, cleaned and now unlocked. Let's keep it clean - Mod.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, here's one that I think is topical: There's a clickbait out there that, like so many, is really just a vector for the ads it lobs at you, and is titled, "This Is What Viking Women Where Subjected Too".

This is what unfortunate readers were subjected to. Probably will be for some time, for that matter. For the record, I am incurious of its contents, such as they must be. I'm not 100% averse to clickbait - some of it can be worth the entertainment - but these guys can make their money off of someone else.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I received a reply from the BBC about my complaint about typos or poor writing/editing and they essentially went "meh, nature of things, stuff happens, expect worse in future". I will.

Now, over in financial news, in a GlobeNewswire press release for a new biotech startup, in collaboration with the Mayo Clinic, states: "Primera seeks to accelerate the development of mitochondrial disease cures and quickly aid this undeserved patient population". I believe "underserved" was meant, and their typo certainly undermines the effort.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

What I really don't want to do, and always try to avoid, is to pick up on others' use of English ... but I'm really struggling with this phrase of yours:
kkrell wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:43 am Now, over in financial news, in a GlobeNewswire press release for a new biotech startup, in collaboration with the Mayo Clinic, states:
I've read it over and over, and I can't get the meaning. There seems to be a missing subject. Who or what is it that "states"? Could you unravel it for me?