Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by Tunborough »

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/guelph-mad ... -1.4928665
Nanoclean is a transformation of an air pollution removal technology called Smogstop.

“Basically destroy pollutants like oxygen and volatile organic compounds in the air,” says Van Heyst.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/guelph-mad ... -1.4928665
Nanoclean is a transformation of an air pollution removal technology called Smogstop.

“Basically destroy pollutants like oxygen and volatile organic compounds in the air,” says Van Heyst.
Er ... wow! It took me a while to figure out what they actually might mean ...
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I like oxygen. Oxygen has been very good to me. Some of my best friends use oxygen, too. Don't YOU like oxygen?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:I like oxygen. Oxygen has been very good to me. Some of my best friends use oxygen, too. Don't YOU like oxygen?
I love it. It's like the air that I breathe, to me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunborough wrote:https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/guelph-mad ... -1.4928665

I had nothing to do with any of it. Just for the record.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

One of many similarly-worded headlines lately in the news:

"Jay Cutler says a 'chicken serial killer' is on the loose at Tennessee farm"

What has the chicken been killing? Grasshoppers?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I don't quite know what to make of the following other than, as writing, it's more preening than craft:

"Why does it feel like autumn? I am not referring to the weather, which has been almost unseasonably hot in many parts of the country, but to something else one sees venturing outdoors or turning on the television: our great cities emptied out, like clusters of silver birches, save for the tens of thousands of people massed together in stratonic clusters: fallen leaves."

These are the opening lines from a recent op-ed.

First of all, I had to look up "stratonic". I'm pretty sure that the author must have meant "stratified", for fallen leaves cluster (here a weak usage, IMO, but I'll play along) in strata (layers). All my sources say that "stratonic" should either mean "pertaining to things military", or even less likely here, "pertaining to the Greek philosopher Strato of Lampsacus" - so it's a word I'll definitely make a point of never using, on general principle. But even "stratified" is a misuse, for when people mass together, they tend, like the author's imagined silver birches, to do so upright, only in less rooted fashion: strata do not mill about. I think we can also dismiss the possibility that he meant social strata. I have no objections to poetic seasoning in a prose work, but even license has limits beyond which lies vapid nonsense. You can't beat your Muse into submission, never mind with misappropriated gobbledygook like "stratonic". The rest of my objections are about the opening's jagged compositional style and indulgence in ill-resolved contradiction, and its nonexistent relationship to the rest of the article - so I'll leave off here.

Discuss, if you have the stomach for it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Beautiful plumage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

THANK you.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

On another forum someone has posted a picture of a commercial product described on the box as
Disposable Women's Razors
Does this mean that they are only for 'disposable women'? Are there such creatures?

I would post a link to the image but it is huge, and the size attributes of the BBCode IMG tag do not seem to work on this forum.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

DrPhill wrote:Are there such creatures?
To the rake and Lothario, no doubt yes.

Maybe the product is aimed at ladies of the demimonde.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

From an article about the possibility of Neanderthal traces in Denmark:
But well over 100,000 years earlier, Neanderthals lived in Germany, and it is not unlikely that the Neanderthals invented the area we know today as Denmark.
Pastries and all.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:Pastries and all.
And butter cookies.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Dan A. wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Pastries and all.
And butter cookies.
Ah! A comment from someone genuinely Dan-ish. :D
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote:
But well over 100,000 years earlier, Neanderthals lived in Germany, and it is not unlikely that the Neanderthals invented the area we know today as Denmark.
Pastries and all.
IIRC the cabinet in a Danish baker's shop with the pastries was labelled "viennoiserie" so those Germanic Neanderthals maybe took the tradition with them - but came via France