Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by chas »

I'm reading an urban fantasy book, and last night I read: ". . . we jettisoned to the West Coast. . ."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I do believe that's the first time I've ever seen it as an intransitive verb. It still raises questions, though: brings to mind travel by catapult.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

In a story on using microwaves for cancer screening, https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchene ... -1.5476916:

"Our device uses a tiny, tiny fracture of what our cell phones emit," he said.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

A cracking story, to be sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I'm willing to bet that this next one is simply the writer strutting to a fall, and not Scots vernacular:

"... [Ba Game] teams methodically use their collective mass to matriculate the ball toward the opponent’s goal."

What, "get" wasn't good enough? If you're going to pull random words out of your sunless sector, you might as well coin something fresh, like "flombulize".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/25 ... 3#image=17
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:Okay, I'm willing to bet that this next one is simply the writer strutting to a fall, and not Scots vernacular:

"... [Ba Game] teams methodically use their collective mass to matriculate the ball toward the opponent’s goal."
Definitely not Scots vernacular, but surely a knowing reference to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Stra ... ity_Chiefs
Stram's recorded comments from that game have become classics: "Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field, boys."
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:... surely a knowing reference ...
One would hope, but even so I have two misgivings: If use of the word here is not sheer dumb coincidence, then 1) either the writer has fallen into the trap of making easy assumptions about the reader, for not everyone will know of Stram (myself, for one, until you brought it up); just because the reader may have enough interest in sports to read the article, it doesn't mean they will have any abiding interest in gridiron football or its lore (myself again, in case anyone hasn't already guessed). Or else 2) the writer came across Stram's malapropism once upon a time, and without digging any further, naively took it as proper usage, and saved it for such a rainy day.

At this point I'm inclined to agree that it's probably the former, but the very fact that we're trying to make sense of it points to careless writing; this is the first time I've ever come across "matriculate" used in this way, so it's not as if it's famous enough for a writer to hang their hat on as a jocularity. In American sports writing as I know it (any writing, for that matter), normally one doesn't see this sort of thing without a nod to the source. Even the much more famous sayings of Yogi Berra are not usually flown without passing mention of the man himself. It's just good form to do so; due attribution is due reverence, you could say. It also assures us that the writer is informed. Without that, on first impression this one simply comes off as not knowing his own language.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

I'd never encountered matriculate in this context either but, according to Merriam Webster, it's now quite widely understood:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... definition
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, then I've been living under a rock. No news there. Found this, though:

And there you have it. I tell you, it's all been news to me.
Squeeky Elf

Post by Squeeky Elf »

I like it!

I keep trying to matriculate my crans but I am not having much luck. :poke:
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Website "journalists" don't care about their work. Found tonight:

"Michigan and its 125 deluges is the big prize in Tuesday's Democratic presidential primaries, the first pitting former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) head to head in what's essentially a two-man race. Sanders and Biden are both contesting the state heavily, and the polls are mixed."

Here's a video - Jackson Browne's "Before the Deluge"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8y45mAGJRA
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Nor does the matter of natural observation seem worthy of anyone's concern:

"They believed [unicorns] to be quite large, with really powerful hooves that were single, like a sheep, and not split like the horse."

This was quoted material within the article in the following link, not from the hand of the article's author herself. If the quote is accurate - but either way we must mourn - I'm rather surprised that the writer wouldn't take a moment to point out the well-known and obvious, and the ensuing web of difficulty this written gaffe creates. Whether this was an editorial lapse or we are seeing a misquote, it's like tumbling in zero gravity: On the strength of the quote alone we'll never know which hoof, or which animal, in what order, was ever meant. Unless, of course, we are now to believe that sheep and horses have swapped hooves, and natural history must be rewritten.

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-cultu ... al-1489215
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:Nor does the matter of natural observation seem worthy of anyone's concern:

"They believed [unicorns] to be quite large, with really powerful hooves that were single, like a sheep, and not split like the horse."
Perhaps "They" believed all 3 of those things. If so, "They" are idiots. Maybe the sheep was unmarried, and the horse was divorced. :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:Perhaps "They" believed all 3 of those things. If so, "They" are idiots.

The article was interesting, otherwise, and for other reasons: Apparently our present general heraldic concept of the unicorn - white, roughly horselike but smaller and gracile, with a white horn like a narwhal's tusk coming out of its forehead - is only the latest, for the imaginary beast took on many forms throughout history, and some of them were quite different from the noble, refined form we now usually envision. Apparently one was even mouse-sized, if the source is still to be believed.
kkrell wrote:Maybe the sheep was unmarried, and the horse was divorced. :lol:
I hadn't considered that possibility. :boggle:
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

My company logo from Licorne Publishing (The Cheesecake Cookbook - 1978) & Licorne Enterprises (electric bass cabinets, JBL 15"). Also my guitar (inlay in gold mother-of-pearl, white MOP, abalone) - note the cloven hoofs/hooves, leg feathers, beard. I have seen many representations of unicorns having an appearance closer to goats.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:... note the cloven hoofs/hooves, leg feathers, beard. I have seen many representations of unicorns having an appearance closer to goats.
Yes, that's a strong variant of the theme. Yet whether the appearance is more goatish or horsey, the type of hoof seems to be somewhat optional. But that's the beauty of imaginary beasts, isn't it. It gives us this latest popular iteration:

Rainbows and all, and its flesh is probably marzipan. But I rather like this one: