Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by kkrell »

Once again, spell check in place of proofreading enables a dubious result.

In an Engadget online article about Tesla's 3rd-generation solar roof tiles:

"This is the third version of the Solar Roof tiles from the company and between the pervious versions and now,..."

I've looked up the definition, and "pervious" is exactly a quality one doesn't want a roof to have.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:I've looked up the definition, and "pervious" is exactly a quality one doesn't want a roof to have.
Er ... no. What drip typed that, do you think?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

On YouTube there's a vid titled "7 Flirting Secrets To Attract Women Like Russell Brand".

I guess there's no accounting for taste.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Escondido Fire Department Twitter feed, re: the Escondido, California fire:
"Escondido has a propositioned San Diego strike team and an extra brush patrol staffed."

Really, that's inappropriate. Good thing it wasn't an extra 'bush' patrol.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Just got word that a Toronto music store will be opening a one-day pop-up store at a local high school ...
Saturday November 2019
9:30am to 5pm
Looking forward to it.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Photo caption in a recent article titled Huge Flow Country wildfire 'doubled Scotland's emissions'on the BBC site:

"The wildlife in the Flow Country burnt for six days in May"

I'm hoping the wildlife ran as fast as they could.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

From the caption to a YouTube vid of a musician outdoors:

"...on an unusably warm and dry day for Skye."

If it takes dreary weather for things to work right on Skye, the instrument didn't seem to notice.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

I feel the same way when I get an email or read posts where the writer uses text type, "u" for "you" or "ppl" for "people." Relatedly in spoken communication "ain't got no" or "don't got" make me perhaps too judgmental of the speaker.

Your example the misusage of "its" and it's" is a common and confusing. It seems quite odd that to make a word, say a proper name possessive an apostrophe and s is used. But to make "it" possessive no apostrophe.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:I feel the same way when I get an email or read posts where the writer uses text type, "u" for "you" or "ppl" for "people." Relatedly in spoken communication "ain't got no" or "don't got" make me perhaps too judgmental of the speaker.
For me it depends on the situation. Since my first concern in interaction is clear communication, normally I reserve my standards for myself, and so long as I know what the other means, I work with that. That being said, even though "u" for "you" is probably intended to be chummy, it can also give the impression that I don't even merit the time it takes to type two more measly letters, and what am I to make of that? True, there is the fact that it's more or less fashionable style especially in text these days, but it's also frankly undignified, and runs the risk of being disrespectful in its offhandedness. For those reasons, in my own usage it would be most unusual for me to go there except for humor's sake. I don't let myself get too bent out of shape if others do, though; if they want that for their style, that's their business, although the assertion that it's done in the name of concision strikes me as a bit too facile. It could also be a working solution to poor literacy, and while it's unfortunate, there's no blame in that.
Michael w6 wrote:Your example the misusage of "its" and it's" is a common and confusing. It seems quite odd that to make a word, say a proper name possessive an apostrophe and s is used. But to make "it" possessive no apostrophe.
For some reason the difference was never a problem for me; it's simply a convention whose inconsistency from normal punctuation is an awkward fact, and the inconsistency would still be there if it were the other way around. So, you just remember which is what, rather than being distracted by the inconsistency. I'm not entirely certain, but off the top of my head I think it's the only example of its kind, so that simplifies things enormously.

"Harrods" as opposed to "Harrod's" is a different issue, and more one of style than grammar.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

I suspect the text typing has much to do with age. I did not grow up with a Smartphone and still do not own one. So my encounters with text typing are mainly You Tube comments. The use of text talk makes the poster seem not serious, trying to be cool or considerably younger than me. I feel much the same way towards coworkers who suffix a statement with, "just sayin'." Likewise with "bro", "dude" and addressing a full adult with the inane quip, "young man."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:I suspect the text typing has much to do with age. I did not grow up with a Smartphone and still do not own one. So my encounters with text typing are mainly You Tube comments. The use of text talk makes the poster seem not serious, trying to be cool or considerably younger than me. I feel much the same way towards coworkers who suffix a statement with, "just sayin'." Likewise with "bro", "dude" and addressing a full adult with the inane quip, "young man."
If by "text typing" you mean the abbreviations and such of the current mode of SMS Language (I only just discovered the term a few minutes ago), you might be surprised about age being a factor: it's also partly cultural. I know people in their forties who do it - even a lady in her seventies, now that I think of it! - and it has much to do with their social circles, interests, or simply buying into the form. Some of my siblings and in-laws - no spring chickens themselves - are way too free with the emojis and pre-formulated "like" entries, bless their Facebook-addled, pointy little heads. If they're doing it to feel younger, they should try a treadmill.

[EDIT] Here's an example of the inanity: Someone in my family just texted the lot of us asking if anyone could bring ice to the Christmas gathering, and I replied, "Sure." Then someone else replied to that with, "Liked 'Sure.'" They do this all the time in texts, "liking" things of little account in my book. It baffles me, and I will definitely take the opportunity to get an explanation straight from the horse's mouth later today.

As for things like YouTube comments, I think SMS language sets itself up to be ignored, or at least to be given little weight. It comes off as mere babble for mere babble's sake. Usually it's incoherent in any case, and that's sure not a matter of me having an inflexible mind; people who know me will attest that, between the ears, I get very bendy indeed.

I eventually got a smartphone, and I really like it because I can access the Internet if I need to - it's great for settling arguments, like debunking the myth that lice can jump, or whatever else your drinking buddies are blathering on about next - as well as texting, email, weather, calculator, flashlight, pitch pipe, taking photos (no selfies!), GPS when I've needed it, and - ironically - rarely phoning except to pay bills or to talk to my Luddite friends. That's really all I need, even if some think that's under-utilization of the resource. But I'm not a gamer, I don't access C&F by smartphone if I can help it, and having zero FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out), I will gladly gnaw off my fingers before I use Facebook or Twitter. Once you tick 'em off, my relatively limited smartphone use doesn't seem so limited after all. It's kind of like a Swiss Army knife.

Just sayin', bro. :wink:
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

u r adding humor to your posts lol! But srsly a funny tidbit about phones. My Mom has a working rotary phone. I told this to a teen coworker who responded, "What is a rotary phone?" I don't have a Smartphone just out of having no need for one. If I had a family or traveled a lot then maybe. But even in such a circumstance a flip phone would be enough.

Also haven't had TV for 25/26 years. One movie in the last ten years. Listen to the radio less than a half hour a year. Haven't read a newspaper in perhaps seven years. I'm quite divorced from my culture.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:I'm quite divorced from my culture.
That you are! :o
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

A grandniece wanted to know what a ´telephone book´ was. :D And just consider that Clark Kent´s modesty is seriously impaired these days without a ´telephone booth´. Wonder if he can borrow a tardis. . . :P
The SO had what I termed her kerosene operated flip phone for ages. . .until her hair dresser would only set appointments sent by SMS! Now she struggles with a ´semi-dumb phone´, but it is SMS capable.

:D Bob :D
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:My Mom has a working rotary phone. I told this to a teen coworker who responded, "What is a rotary phone?"
I didn't know those still worked under the present system. Interesting.

A young adult told me that a lot of his generation don't know how to read an analog clock. I can understand not knowing what a rotary phone is, but the clock thing is harder for me to grasp.
an seanduine wrote:A grandniece wanted to know what a ´telephone book´ was. :D
I was in fact thinking about that yesterday on account of this conversation! On a hunch I just had a look, and sure enough, under a small table next to my desk are a couple of forgotten and very, very dusty phone books from 2008. Only eleven years, but a world away. I think I'll hang onto 'em as antiques.
as seanduine wrote:The SO had what I termed her kerosene operated flip phone for ages. . .
I used to say I shoveled coal into mine.