Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:51 am What I really don't want to do, and always try to avoid, is to pick up on others' use of English ... but I'm really struggling with this phrase of yours:
kkrell wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:43 am Now, over in financial news, in a GlobeNewswire press release for a new biotech startup, in collaboration with the Mayo Clinic, states:
I've read it over and over, and I can't get the meaning. There seems to be a missing subject. Who or what is it that "states"? Could you unravel it for me?
Sorry, that is due to sloppy writing on my part. On Yahoo News, I read a GlobeNewswire story that was a press release for a new biotech startup company. The press release contains the quoted statement. The Mayo Clinic is collaborating/in partnership with the new startup.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:00 am
benhall.1 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:51 am What I really don't want to do, and always try to avoid, is to pick up on others' use of English ... but I'm really struggling with this phrase of yours:
kkrell wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:43 am Now, over in financial news, in a GlobeNewswire press release for a new biotech startup, in collaboration with the Mayo Clinic, states:
I've read it over and over, and I can't get the meaning. There seems to be a missing subject. Who or what is it that "states"? Could you unravel it for me?
Sorry, that is due to sloppy writing on my part. On Yahoo News, I read a GlobeNewswire story that was a press release for a new biotech startup company. The press release contains the quoted statement. The Mayo Clinic is collaborating/in partnership with the new startup.
Got it. Thanks Kevin. :thumbsup:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:Sorry, that is due to sloppy writing on my part.
So meta.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:40 pm
So meta.
Yes.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:20 pm
So meta.
Yes.
I know. I did think that. I thought it might have been a cunning ploy on Kevin's part.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:52 am
kkrell wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:20 pm
So meta.
Yes.
I know. I did think that. I thought it might have been a cunning ploy on Kevin's part.
No.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Now there's a clickbait touting "The test that will tell you if someone is a psychopathy".

My confident is not exactly brimming.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:38 pm Now there's a clickbait touting "The test that will tell you if someone is a psychopathy".

You have been filtered out as not being part of the target demographic.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:38 pm Now there's a clickbait touting "The test that will tell you if someone is a psychopathy".

Leaving aside the daft error in that for a moment ...

I've taken one of those 'Are you a psycopath?" tests on several occasions. Sometimes they tell me I am a psycopath, and sometimes they tell me I'm at the opposite end of that particular spectrum. I haven't worked out why that is ... maybe it's just that different tests test for different things ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:20 pm I've taken one of those 'Are you a psycopath?" tests on several occasions.
I've never taken one because I'm afraid it'll tell me I'm not.
benhall.1 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:20 pm ... maybe it's just that different tests test for different things ...
This is where we call in the statistician. Or a psychologist. Or both.

Is debunkery medical advice?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Here's another clickbait headline: "[Photos] *****'s Famous Wife That Few Know About." (name obscured because I'm a gentleman; make what you will of the full stop).

Do I need to pose the obvious question, here?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:38 pm Here's another clickbait headline: "[Photos] *****'s Famous Wife That Few Know About." (name obscured because I'm a gentleman; make what you will of the full stop).

I've just Googled the phrase "Famous Wife That Few Know About" (without the full stop). I get page after page after page of different articles, most with a different man's name. It must be some kind of obsession about such things.

I'm not getting what your "obvious question" is.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:06 am
Nanohedron wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:38 pm Here's another clickbait headline: "[Photos] *****'s Famous Wife That Few Know About." (name obscured because I'm a gentleman; make what you will of the full stop).

I've just Googled the phrase "Famous Wife That Few Know About" (without the full stop). I get page after page after page of different articles, most with a different man's name. It must be some kind of obsession about such things.

I'm not getting what your "obvious question" is.
Didn't any women have famous wives?

The definition of "famous" is "known about by many people." I suppose the obvious question is how the headline can possibly be true?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:06 am I'm not getting what your "obvious question" is.
If she's so famous, why do few know about her?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

"Undiscovered species of dinosaur surprises researchers"

Yes, I know, I know: The copywriter's trying to be economical by making inferences. But you cannot be surprised by what has not been discovered.