A Tolkien Poll: the Ringbearers' Fate

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What happened to Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam when they crossed the Sea to the Blessed Lands?

They were granted eternal life.
34%
After a time of peace and healing, they died.
48%
Neither. (Please explain)
18%

Total votes: 44

Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: A Tolkien Poll: the Ringbearers' Fate

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:
peeplj wrote:I have always been under the impression that they crossed the Sea for a time of healing and peace before they died.
I am sure this is confirmed by Tolkien himself in one of his published letters. In short, mortal races are mortal and it is not within the jurisdiction or power of the Valar to grant them elf-like immortality.
Further research shows this. From letter 246 in "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien":
...'Alas! there are some wounds that cannot be wholly cured', said Gandalf (III 268) - not in Middle-earth. Frodo was sent or allowed to pass over Sea to heal him - if that could be done, before he died. He would have eventually to 'pass away': no mortal could, or can, abide for ever on earth, or within Time. So he went both to a purgatory and to a reward, for a while: a period of reflection and peace and a gaining of a truer understanding of his position in littleness and greatness, spent still in Time amid the natural beauty of 'Arda Unmarred', the Earth unspoiled by evil.
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:Further research shows this. From letter 246 in "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien":
...'Alas! there are some wounds that cannot be wholly cured', said Gandalf (III 268) - not in Middle-earth. Frodo was sent or allowed to pass over Sea to heal him - if that could be done, before he died. He would have eventually to 'pass away': no mortal could, or can, abide for ever on earth, or within Time. So he went both to a purgatory and to a reward, for a while: a period of reflection and peace and a gaining of a truer understanding of his position in littleness and greatness, spent still in Time amid the natural beauty of 'Arda Unmarred', the Earth unspoiled by evil.
Yeah, Frodo croaks (ribbit). But what about Bilbo, Sam and Gimli? :twisted: (I know, I know... they're "mortal" too...)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

jsluder wrote:
Jens_Hoppe wrote:Further research shows this. From letter 246 in "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien":
Yeah, Frodo croaks (ribbit). But what about Bilbo, Sam and Gimli? :twisted: (I know, I know... they're "mortal" too...)
Gimli is a Dwarf. If memory serves, they reincarnate, after spending some time in their own halls of waiting, which were separate from the Elves' halls.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
djm

Post by djm »

If I recall correctly, dwarf recycling was a big theme in a lot of English literature of Tolkein's time. :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

emmline wrote:
BigDavy wrote:Well this should get the thread locked :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPU84WkVLhs

David :twisted:
Did anything ever happen on that video? I kind of pulled the little gear along when I got bored, but I don't think I missed anything compelling.
No and correct, you did not.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca