British Humour

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Very true Walden, but do you guys eat Jellied eels ?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Jayhawk wrote:Did you see the new movie of Hitchiker's Guide? I found it terribly disappointing...although Marvin was still pretty good.

Anyone seen the BBC Hitchiker's series? Was it better than the current movie? Some books never translate well into movies or shows, but the content might lend itself better to a BBC series than a movie.
The movie was good, although nothing near the book. I saw the TV series years back and was disappointed with it. The radio series is still the best of the lot, though. From what I recall, Adams wrote the first two books as a development of the script for the radio series.
PJ
Lambchop

Re: British Humour

Post by Lambchop »

Walden wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:British Humour
British cuisine.
I don't know what's the difference between British cuisine and American. We both eat a fine breakfast of sausage, fried eggs, bacon, and bread and jam. Okay, so we don't have black pudding and non-stripey bacon, and they ain't got no biscuits and gravy, but deep down... we're greasy alike.
Dubhlinn wrote:Very true Walden, but do you guys eat Jellied eels ?

Oh, dear! I think I'm feeling woozy . . .
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

dubhlinn wrote:Very true Walden, but do you guys eat Jellied eels ?

Slan,
D.
We might would, if we had such a thing as eels in this neck of the woods. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

non-stripey bacon, and they ain't got no biscuits and gravy
...and that's called "breakfast?????How on earth can it be called bacon without stripes? No wonder there's no gravy. I am hoping here that the non stripey bacon is not all white? :-?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

cowtime wrote:I am hoping here that the non stripey bacon is not all white? :-?
We call that thin salty cracklins.
Reasonable person
Walden
mukade

Post by mukade »

Walden wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:Very true Walden, but do you guys eat Jellied eels ?

Slan,
D.
We might would, if we had such a thing as eels in this neck of the woods. :)

I have never seen jellied eels in the flesh. :boggle:
They are a London delicacy, however, I expect most Londoners have never seen them either.

As in most countries, people save their nastiest dishes for tourists.

In the event of a visit from a party of Londoners or other foreign tourists, most restaurants in Northern England are equipped with emergency black puddings.

When a foreign tour bus enters the vicinity, an alarm sounds, the waiters clear away the French cuisine and fine wines, issue the customers with flat caps and whippets, and then they join in rousing choruses of "trouble at mill" and "eeh bah gum."

The tourists enter, see the fiendish sausage of blood, and run squealing to their air-conditioned coaches. The simple northern folk are once again free to gorge themselves on foie gras and truffles thanks to the noble saucisson noir.

Mukade
(Can you tell I'm avoiding a difficult translation by posting silliness on Chiff? I thought so.)
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Good stuff:

LONDON (Reuters) - An email between a highly paid lawyer and a secretary over a tomato ketchup stain has become the talk of legal circles in London, leaving the sender distinctly red-faced.

British media reported with glee the tale of Richard Phillips who emailed the secretary to ask her to pay a four pound ($7.30) dry-cleaning bill after she accidentally spilled tomato ketchup on his trousers.

The secretary, who had just returned to work after her mother died, was so irate she forwarded the email to several colleagues at the firm of Baker & McKenzie, who in turn passed it on to others.

The emails quickly appeared on the Internet and in the press.

"Dear Jenny," the lawyer wrote, "I went to the dry-cleaners at lunch and they said it would cost four pounds to remove the ketchup stains. If you could let me have the cash today that would be much appreciated."

Secretary Jenny Amner replied: "With reference to the email, I must apologize for not getting back to you straight away but due to my mother's sudden illness, death and funeral I have had more pressing issues than your four pounds.

"Obviously your financial need as a senior associate is greater than mine as a mere secretary."

Colleagues had offered to hold a collection to cover the bill but Amner paid it herself.

The law firm was not impressed.

"I can confirm we are aware of the incident," a spokeswoman said. "This is a private matter between two members of staff that clearly got out of hand. We are investigating."

Newspapers also printed several emails sent to Phillips in response. One investment banker said he was deeply saddened to hear about the ketchup stain tragedy while another suggested he emigrate.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

TonyHiggins wrote:One investment banker said he was deeply saddened to hear about the ketchup stain tragedy while another suggested he emigrate.
:lol: But what country would take him?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

mukade wrote:[In the event of a visit from a party of Londoners or other foreign tourists, most restaurants in Northern England are equipped with emergency black puddings.
My mother kept emergency potato peels in the freezer.

She had developed a habit of using instant mashed potatoes, much to our distress. When my brother came home from the Navy, where he had become used to real mashed potatoes, he could tell the difference and never failed to complain. (We could all tell the difference, but had given up on complaining.)

One night, just prior to his arrival on leave, she made mashed potatoes and saved the peels in the freezer. Throughout his visits from then on, she served instant, carefully laying the frozen peelings on the top of the trash. When he claimed to taste instant, she'd gleefully wave the peels at him. After dinner, they'd go back into the freezer.

He soon began to look forward to Navy chow, because it was so much better than home. :roll:
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:He soon began to look forward to Navy chow, because it was so much better than home. :roll:
You are scaring me!
djm

Post by djm »

Denny wrote:You are scaring me!
I was billeted at a US Navy base in Chicago once, and had breakfast in the POs mess. They ate very well indeed. Good plain cooking, and plenty of it.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

djm wrote:
I was billeted at a US Navy base in Chicago once, and had breakfast in the POs mess. They ate very well indeed. Good plain cooking, and plenty of it.

djm
Like many things... If you can get high enough on the food chain the quality is better.

Just a peon!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

djm wrote:
This depends on where you are in the US (and perhaps even which branch you are with). My husband was stationed in Ft. McClellan, AL and he said that the food was terrible. But of course, much of his reasoning was that for breakfast they served GRITS. That was just a bit too much to handle for his Northern blood, I fear. :lol:

And BTW, I was ever so glad that I'd managed to avoid this thread when it was still active. I'd forgotten what you all had been talking about when I happened upon that lovely picture of jellied eels :boggle: Now THAT is a bit too much for my pregnant self to take these days :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

cowtime wrote:How on earth can it be called bacon without stripes? ... I am hoping here that the non stripey bacon is not all white? :-?
Nah, don't worry. It's basically like thick-sliced ham. I do miss the real stuff sometimes though.