Boy names?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Well, if you want something to go with Joey, how about Paris? I know the current Paris is. . . well, I can't say it in polite company. But the real Paris was a hero in the truest sense of the word. I think he may have been musical, too, but can't recall any specifics.

Congrats, Jessie!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Elijah
Jeremiah
Job*
Joshua
Julian

*my nephew is named Job... when i mentioned that to an Israeli acquaintance, she remarked "what a terrible thing to name a kid!"...
there is no end to the walking
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

rh wrote:*my nephew is named Job... when i mentioned that to an Israeli acquaintance, she remarked "what a terrible thing to name a kid!"...
:lol:

That's not terrible, it's inspirational!

It would be terrible to be named, like, Pontius, or Satan. :P
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

congratulations, I hadn't thought that through but you may be on to something...and that name does have a pretty positive vibe going for it! ...and at birthday parties they could dispense with the usual song and go with the kid's theme song.
rh

Post by rh »

Cranberry wrote:
rh wrote:*my nephew is named Job... when i mentioned that to an Israeli acquaintance, she remarked "what a terrible thing to name a kid!"...
:lol:

That's not terrible, it's inspirational!
I think she figured it was like condemning the kid to a life of suffering. My sister-in-law is a Pentecostal from Peru, though, and it's not a terribly uncommon name in Latin America.
there is no end to the walking
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

emmline wrote:Gavin. I sort of like the sound of it, but I also have a strong sense that it's about to be on the hot list.
Gavin Newsome is hot. (Not to get political or anything).

J.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions...please keep 'em coming. There are a bunch of close ones, but no keeper yet.

Yes, I grew up Jewish Atheist, but I am open to all sorts of names. Dan and I have been studying the Bible with some friends. For us it's a great work of literature, but for our friends it is the work of God. We have wonderful conversations. Let's not get into a talk about religion here in this thread, but I just wanted to say we are totally open to names from the Bible if we happen to like them. I don't like Matthew...it does make me think of a door mat.

I like Aidan, but it does seem too common at the moment. I liked it before it was common. Dan likes Levon, but I don't.

Before this pregnancy, we thought we'd have a couple more kids. But this pregnancy has been REALLY difficult. I think I almost died. I was in and out of Urgent Care for a while, on frequent IV hydration, because I couldn't keep anything in me, including water. I had a high fever for a while. My mom had to come and take care of me (and Joey) during the week for about six weeks. Ugh. They say the baby is fine. But I don't think I can do it again. So, because this seems to be our last kid, the name is SO important.

:)
~JessieD
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Only one real suggestion: KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!).
Any suggestion from me, an aging child among the ashes of a Gaelic Culture, would be scarcely relevant to you, fertile in neo-colonial cyberspace. (Congratulations, by the way.)
One list contained Etzel and Attilla next to each other. They are variants of the same name. I caution you agains this, as Attilla/Etzel died of a nosebleed, and as I am become a prey to nosebleeds, I feel it is ill-omened.
My wife rejected my suggestions Conrad and Manfred for our son. He wound up as Benedict Christopher. He likes being a Ben, and likes even more NOT being a Benjamin. My daughter is Niamh Suzannah. My wife was aghast at my spelling (I got to register the birth, ha ha!) but my daughter likes it. If she didn't, she would change it. No fear of that!
Of my family, none of my sisters and I liked our names. I am Ian Frederick, but am called Fred by everyone - except the Admin Lady at work, but that's because I call her Maureen, not Sonia, which she has adopted. One sister is Daphne Gillian and the other is Isabel Lorna. I narrowly escaped being called Duncan.
Sometimes they tell you their names. My wife swore she would never saddle a child with another unspellable Irish name (Siobhan) but as soon as the child was in her arms she said "It's Niamh".
I always like Emher, but you have to imagine what it will be like growing up with it. I have Aunts and Uncles called Evelyn and Evertt. And Sadie and Cecil. Would you believe Sadie and Cecil Haddock? It's hard to make up that kind of stuff.

But you reject Bill. Are you also rejecting William, which includes all its short forms and variants, such as Will, Wullie, Bill, Billy and Liam? (I've even heard it corrupted to "Billium".) I STRONGLY advise giving a child the long form of a name, so that they can use the long or short form as suits the circumstances. Giving them only the short form is really amputating the long form of their name, and denying it to them.

Oh! I know: Vladimir Illyich. Ah, wait, you wanted something to go with Joseph? Djugashvili! :)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

Last child? Why not "Omega"?

<Note to self: Innocent Bystander = Ian Frederick almost Duncan! Hee-hee-hee! :twisted: >

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Fred, thank you for your post. I really liked reading the names in it. I don't want something to go with Joseph. My daughter's name is Joey. Just Joey. Joey Rose. We do call her Josephine sometimes, though. I disagree about the long form. I do not identify with the long form of my name AT ALL. I had it legally changed to the short form when I was about 15. I think long forms of most names are fairly unattractive. Why would there be a short form if the long form were acceptable? I'd like a name that isn't part of another name, though, like Griffin (but not that one).

It's so subjective, I know. I think your wife's and your daughter's names are great, but I am looking for boy names. Oh well.
~JessieD
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Denholm?

It was at the top of our short list, and the ultrasound tech broadly hinted that we were going to have a boy.

We ended up with Grace Emilia Mae, who thinks JessieK's avatar is a picture of her! (Dats Me!! Dats Gracie!)
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

JessieK wrote: I disagree about the long form. I do not identify with the long form of my name AT ALL. I had it legally changed to the short form when I was about 15. I think long forms of most names are fairly unattractive. Why would there be a short form if the long form were acceptable?
We'll just have to disagree on that. Once you had both, now you only have what my social conditioning influences me to think of as an "informal" name. I feel you've lost something. I mean no disrespect when I say that.

But once I saw this quotation, which I like:
"The child who is loved has many names."

I repeat it to my son Ben, when I call him "Spud".
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I think some of what you're talking about has to do with what you're used to and probably regional as well. For instance someone in Australia may not choose Joey as a name but here it doesn't have any 'oh yea' considerations of that sort. Some of the names Walden suggested sounded as though they may be popular in that area of the country whereas in another area they may not seem so great. I agree with having the long form and short form and in many places the short form is even avoided, especially by your mom!

Thought of a couple more names that seem nice;
Ryan
Taylor

Maybe doing what alot of people do and get a book of names, jot down 20 or so you like and narrow it down from there seeing how they sound after a week or two.
Jack

Post by Jack »

As long as you're not opposed to names from the New Testament, consider Berea. Berea is a Biblical city in modern day Greece. It is also spelled Veria or Beroea.

I think naming a person after a place is always interesting. Unfortunately, I have never named a person, only fish and hamsters and such. I knew a person named Dallas, once.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I don't recommend Crispin, Audley, Biff, Chance, Lucius, Sparrow, Tarquin, Clitus, Moe, Newt, Sherlock, Casimir, Woody, Marmaduke, Fulk, Gaylord, Wat, Guiscard, or Caesar.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician