What are differences between the good and bad debt?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I even get 'em by phone. At least a couple of times a week, I get a recorded message on my land line or my cell phone telling me (ominously) that someone wants to talk to me about my credit cards. Joke's on them...I don't have any! :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Nanohedron wrote:
Jack wrote:
missy wrote:(cue the Billy Mays voice.....)

Yes, and for JUST $19.95, you too can find out how WE live this lifestyle.

BUT WAIT!

If you call within the next 10 minutes, not ONLY will you get our book "How to be a Pain in the @$$ on Message Boards" we will also send you FOR FREE our helpful pamphlet, "How to Survive a Prison Sentence for Internet Fraud".
I hate Billy Mays.
I feel sorry for his wife and kids: "HEY, HONEY, GOOD MORNING!!! WHAT'S THAT - PANCAKES? I LOVE PANCAKES! BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!! I'M SMELLING COFFEE...YOU BET I'D LOVE SOME!!"

*shudder*
Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwAV5bsXrQw&NR=1

Best wishes,
Jerry
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Jack wrote:
missy wrote:(cue the Billy Mays voice.....)

Yes, and for JUST $19.95, you too can find out how WE live this lifestyle.

BUT WAIT!

If you call within the next 10 minutes, not ONLY will you get our book "How to be a Pain in the @$$ on Message Boards" we will also send you FOR FREE our helpful pamphlet, "How to Survive a Prison Sentence for Internet Fraud".
I hate Billy Mays.

Irritability, plus I notice the right eye in that new avatar might be looking off a bit too far to the right. Could have something there. Probably ought to see a doctor.

[We delete medical threads, don't we???]
Cotelette d'Agneau
emmline

Post by emmline »

Redwolf wrote:I even get 'em by phone. At least a couple of times a week, I get a recorded message on my land line or my cell phone telling me (ominously) that someone wants to talk to me about my credit cards. Joke's on them...I don't have any! :lol:

Redwolf
As irksome as it is, the joke's even better when it's a live person trying to sell me a credit line--
What's the interest rate on your mortgage?
I don't have one.
Oh. Would you like to consolidate your credit card debt?
I have one card. I pay it off entirely every month.
Oh. How about auto loans?
Old cars. All paid for.
I expect them to ask about new windows next, but that's usually in the next phone call.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:For example, "McCain chooses Dolly Parton as his running mate". Who wouldn't want to learn a little more about that.
Me.

I mean, it's obviously spam, right?
My example above is too frivolous. A better "catch you" phrase would have been:
John McCain Chooses Jeb Bush As Running Mate
See, I still wouldn't be interested. And anyway, why would a mailer I didn't know be politically interested in me? I can catch that kind of info, spurious or otherwise, anywhere on public sites without needing to have it slipped under my virtual door, as well. I usually throw away most kill-a-tree stuff of like ilk without more than a glance and a curled lip, too. But that's just me. I seem to have what is either a very limited curiosity gene, or a rather comprehensive b*llsh*t meter, when it comes to human affairs. I can't tell. All I know is I'm not interested when it comes to "hook"-y stuff. It's just more deleteworthy crap in my inbox.

I'd rather play tunes. Better yet, I'd rather get together with folks and play tunes.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I put myself on the no-call list, with excellent results. Free, and it started working within 24 hours.

Explanation here: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/donotcall/

Register here: www.donotcall.gov
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

emmline wrote:
Redwolf wrote:I even get 'em by phone. At least a couple of times a week, I get a recorded message on my land line or my cell phone telling me (ominously) that someone wants to talk to me about my credit cards. Joke's on them...I don't have any! :lol:

Redwolf
As irksome as it is, the joke's even better when it's a live person trying to sell me a credit line--
I don't have one.
Old cars. All paid for.
I expect them to ask about new windows next, but that's usually in the next phone call.
Me too. Don't you just love it?!!!
I use to get those calls and loved messing with the caller since there was nothing they had to offer me(even new windows).

Since the advent of "do not call" I get them by mail now.
:lol:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

cowtime wrote:
emmline wrote:

Redwolf
I don't have one.
Old cars. All paid for.
I use to get those calls and loved messing with the caller since there was nothing they had to offer me(even new windows).

I kind of miss the telemarketers, truth be told. It was kind of fun to mess with their heads by speaking to them in Irish!

I had one going for several minutes at my folks house once, while my dad was doing his level best not to laugh out loud! The poor thing kept saying "do...you...speak...English?" :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

cowtime wrote:
emmline wrote:

Redwolf
I don't have one.
Old cars. All paid for.

In the UK we have the Mail Preference Service

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

to avoid all that junk mail, and it's worked for us.

We also have a sign on the door for "No Junk Mail or Free Newspapers". Plus when we had a landline we signed up on the Telephone Preference Service, though now we use exclusively pay-as-you-go phones.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Redwolf wrote:I kind of miss the telemarketers, truth be told. It was kind of fun to mess with their heads by speaking to them in Irish!

I had one going for several minutes at my folks house once, while my dad was doing his level best not to laugh out loud! The poor thing kept saying "do...you...speak...English?" :lol:
Ever since talking to you this summer I've been kind of hoping to be stopped by chuggers (charity muggers, asking for donations on UK streets) so I can tell them "Níl fhios agam. Gabh mo leathscáil. Ar bhfaca tú mo Sheamusín?"