I resolve to .....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Foreign language courses are fun, aren't they? I still remember the first phrase I ever learned in Haitian Kreyol: "Nou kontan mamba a." We are pleased with the peanut butter. I use this phrase almost daily. I thought Izzy, at least, would want to know. :D

But as for my resolutions:
1. Learn "Nessun Dorma" on the euphonium. Having a devil of a time finding the non-dummied down sheet music.
2. Climb Wind River Peak again.
3. Find resolution and peace with some spiritual struggles that have been, quite frankly, kicking my tail for the past year.
4. Start working on another CD.
5. Overall, try to be more like Sam Houston.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
MagicSailor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi

My resolutions:

1: Finish my book and publish it.

2: Repair the masts, replace the standing rigging and buy a new mainsail and mizzen.

3: Go cruising (which will be much better with masts that aren't threatening to fall down.)

4: Play more whistle.

5: Start playing the clarinet again.

6: Find someone who is willing to be with me and sail with me and endure my whistle and clarinet playing or face up to reality and come to terms with being single.

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
rh

Post by rh »

There are a lot of resolutions i have in mind, but the most important are:

1. Get rid of stuff. This includes a number of instruments, so watch this space if yr interested.

2. Get some regular exercise. My son got a bike for Christmas (Eidmas, whatever), so a bike for me is probably how i'll go.

3. Quit my last outward vice, smoking cigars. Work on getting rid of the inward vices, too, but they are much more pernicious.

Happy New Year, Prospero Año Nuevo
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

WyoBadger wrote:I still remember the first phrase I ever learned in Haitian Kreyol: "Nou kontan mamba a." We are pleased with the peanut butter. I use this phrase almost daily. I thought Izzy, at least, would want to know. :D
That's awesome!!! New resolution! Learn how to say "Nou kontan mamba a" so I can use it daily as well :D

Off to Google phonetic spelling! Thanks, Wyo!!! :party:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

i resolve to:
1) move more and eat less (especially cookies & chocolate :sniffle:)
2) try not to get in trouble with that special colleague with whom i usually get in trouble every few weeks/months. i promise to do my best to live in peace with him for at least one entire year before i start our next fight :D
3) be a bit more dedicated to my work
4) play music with my amigos in various groups
5) practice flute & cornet and try to improve my skills
6) be nice to my husband :oops:
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I hope this year to:

1. Regain health, strength and increase excercise
2. Catch up on medical bills
2. Buy more whistles
3. Learn more tunes
4. Get drone, chanter and regulator reeds made for my bagpipes. I have the drones made, now I need to tune them
5. Get out and play more music
6. Do some recording
7. Make as many music festivals as possible
Caroluna

Re: I resolve to .....

Post by Caroluna »

Bump!

I always think it's interesting to check in with last year's resolutions. I didn't arrive at any of my goals, but got to some interesting places while on the way.

Ex. Last year I was hoping to play flute in the Christmas orchestra at Church. I didn't-- (still haven't gotten fluent enough on my keyed Copley) -- but I did start flute lessons, and I got my son to sign on too, since I got such a kick out of the teacher.

Also, somehow I switched from Bellydancing to Tae Kwon Do... :boggle: :lol:
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I made resolutions last year. It is not something I normally do. I just had this feeling that I would do them and I did. I met my resolutions. Now that I've met them, I'm lost and aimless. So I think I won't make any resolutions this year.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Jack

Post by Jack »

Lose one pound
Exercise at least one hour a month
Breathe every day

Those are goals I will keep. :)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Let's see...
Keep the weight off.
End the charade!
Have Izz teach me how to pronounce "Nou kontan mamba a" so I too can use it every day.

I just thought of two more.
Go to "Swearasaurous" and learn my favorite cuss words in at least five languages.
Work hard on improving my fingerpicking and flatpicking techniques on the mountain dulcimer.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dwest

Re:

Post by dwest »

WyoBadger wrote: 1. Learn "Nessun Dorma" on the euphonium. Having a devil of a time finding the non-dummied down sheet music.

Tom
That's because you're looking for sheet music for the wrong instrument, try tuba. :lol:
Wife and I tried to do all the 4000s in the lower 48, never got to Wind River.
emmline

Re:

Post by emmline »

emmline wrote:1. Move up to "medium" on Rock Band. (strumming and drumming.)
I have ever-so-bad reflexes. Relative to my kids, that is.
Did it. Got to hard, even.
2. Finish book #4 so it can join #s 2 and 3 in the nationwide slushpile tour.
Ran outa slushpiles, and #4, I determined, suffers from the same deficit as #1-#3--plenty o'imagination oddly paired with an utter absence of inspirational spark. Must rethink the meaning of life.
New goal for '09: FIND NEW SELF-IDENTITY.
3. Begin the arduous process of guiding my 15 year old in the useful transition from caveman to semi-competent quasi-adultoid.
I only said begin.
For '09: CONTINUE
4. Clean out 3 dressers.
Did dat.
For '09: THE BASEMENT! (this is a biggie.)
5. Plant 6 shrubs that won't die within 3 months. Not azaleas.
Revision: Never plant anything ever again.
6. Make it to almost all 5 of the Community Concert Association concerts as any reasonably responsible Board member (by dint of coercive action on the part of her sneaky mother) would.
Yep.
For '09: GO SOMEWHERE MORE EXCITING. with Jeff and Gabe. without losing them.
7. Find and obtain reasonable health insurance for myself, one young adult child, two college students, and a high-schooler, effective next August.
Yah. Love that bazillion $ deductible.
For '09: GENERATE NO MEDICAL BILLS.
8. Maintain grace and peace of mind in the face of whatever-the-hell life throws at me in 2008.
For '09: And laugh at it. This time I will laugh at it.
izzarina

Re:

Post by izzarina »

Hmmm....is it bad that I had forgotten I'd actually MADE New Year's resolutions last year? :P Let me see....
izzarina wrote: 1) Really start cracking my Irish books, so I can know SOMETHING by June.
No comment...those that were in Ballyvaughn can attest to how much I didn't know :lol:
2) Try to be more positive about my country and government (I'm almost putting that one up there with the sarcasm, though)
Yeah...didn't happen. Oh well.
3) Be more patient (snort)
I'm thinking I must have been drinking when I wrote this Me? Patient?
4)Think before I speak (snort again....I'm beginning to think this will be a losing battle)
Now I know I was drinking when I wrote this one. :lol:
5) Work more in my writing and possibly get something published by the end of the year....a magazine would be fine. Starting small is still starting, right?
Life, in general, really did get in the way of this one. My writing has waned considerably, and nothing is published. Maybe this will be the year for it.
6) Work more on my music (in other words, actually practise once in a while :P )
YAY! I did this one! :) But not on whistle....see below.
7) Sort through all the needless stuff I own, and get rid of practically everything I own that is useless.
I have begun this one. I knew it would be longer than a weekend task, so I do feel that met this goal by just getting the ball rolling. It will take a while until I can put the check mark next to this, though.
8 ) Buy a fiddle
:party: I can say that this one was met by March of last year! ::happy dancing::. hence the achievement of #6.

As for this year...I haven't given it much thought, to be honest. I think, in some ways, there needs to be some more internal changing this year. I do need to be more patient, and less pessimistic. I need to realise that I can do more than I think I can, and stop second guessing myself so much. I need to remember there is a ME hidden inside all the external stuff that goes on in my life on a daily basis. That's a tough one...far tougher than even patience.

That sums it up for now.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Caroluna wrote: Also, somehow I switched from Bellydancing to Tae Kwon Do... :boggle: :lol:
Do you at least use your zills whilst doing Tae Kwon Do? :D
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Re:

Post by claudine »

claudine wrote:i resolve to:
1) move more and eat less (especially cookies & chocolate :sniffle:)
:-? (that was a stupid resolution anyway)
2) try not to get in trouble with that special colleague with whom i usually get in trouble every few weeks/months. i promise to do my best to live in peace with him for at least one entire year before i start our next fight :D
:thumbsup: (mission accomplished)
3) be a bit more dedicated to my work
:lol: (good joke)
4) play music with my amigos in various groups
:thumbsup: :) :party: (we had a lot of fun this year)
5) practice flute & cornet and try to improve my skills
i decided to keep cornet at a basic maintenance level, and concentrate on flute. Since I got that new Murray flute, I can't stop playing it :love:
6) be nice to my husband :oops:
:oops: :sniffle: :oops: (i resolve to try harder in 2009)