Dr. Phil's Test

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

well... took that long enough to show up... I'd figured I just wasn't supposed to share the results. :)
Last edited by anniemcu on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
falkbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by falkbeer »

Dale wrote: Furthermore, it's been my experience that everybody--employers, lawyers, judges, regular citizens--are far more impressed with psychological tests than are psychologists, who invent most of the damn things.
Dale
Nothing beats a power point presentation with pie charts and a psycholocical report with the rubber stamp "scientific" on it!

I think I know the answer to this question. Its the same with the network people on TV and advertising people. Instead of anxiously presenting your results to your boss as vague opinions a psychological study (or any other study) gives your results and recommendations a more tangible and scientific approach. I worked in advertising long ago and there were endless of these presentations from anxious colleagues--very often a vaste of time and money! An astrologer had been both more cost-effictive and funnier!
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Skills-based tests for employment are good. Interview questions that stress certain soft-skills such as being detail-oriented or creative or whatever are fine. It gives you a chance to decide if the job is right for you. But psychological test tend to pigeon-hole people and tend to reinforce ideas about who is better suited for the job.

For example, people in Marketing tend to think that in Marketing everyone is an extrovert. There's a lot of pressure to go to parties and rock concerts and do these rowdy "team building" things where you never get any sleep. But at a former employer, when given the Myers-Briggs test, We saw that the distribution of introverts and extroverts was actually nearly 50-50.

Did that change the belief that people in Marketing are extroverted party-goers? No. Those of us on the far-end of the introverted scale continued to feel like exceptions to the rule and the partiers continue to get the promotions.

All psychological tests do in the workplace is make the "odd" ones feel even more under duress to be something they aren't.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird