pretty much blank beyond the borders

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:Sorry, LC. Big words confuse me at such a late hour. :oops:

djm
Oh, ok! That's understandable!

It's easy to remember which I am, though. Watch:

bovine = cow

ovine = cute

I am, obviously, the latter. Very simple. :)

Scottie wrote:P.S. That was a fine job of redlining work there, LC! You missed one superfluous comma, two missing apostrophes, "encouter", and "experiance", though.
Thank you! I'm not surprised that the LambCheck missed a few, though. About halfway through, the welter of HTML codes for "red" and "bold" overran the buffer and began to degrade system performance.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Lambchop wrote:
Gavin wrote:One of South Africa's main industries is tourism, the majority of tourists come from either europe or america. Lets just say that whenever a tourist on "safari" in one of the many game parks is mauled by a wild animal. Its usually not a european tourist.

Some years back an american lady wanted to take photo's of a lion cub in one the game parks, and wasn't satisfied with where the lion cub had decided to lie down. So she got out her vehicle and politely attempted to move the cub into a better photographic position. Needless to say the mother lion wasn't too happy about that. Guess what happend next. Lucky to survive her encouter with a fierce preditor, said tourists then decided to sue the game park, after being warned numerous times not to exit the vehicle
You asked about my experiance with americans, and no its not from TV, as I mentioned, tourists. Lots and lots of them. During peak season its hard to miss the somewhat large people in hawaian shirts, floppy hats and sandals, with a gigantic camera slung around the neck (which is not a good thing to do around here if anyone is thinking of visiting :) ) and lets not forget the 1:25 scale map unfurled completely, so as to act almost like a parasol. It is at this point, whilst during my busy day trying not to get mugged in a city, that I get asked "where can I find traditional dancers?" and "I didnt know africa was this modern" and "where can I see wild animals?". The only wild animals you will see in an african city, are the criminals and the tourists. :P

Now as I only enquired as to what is taught in American schools, as a genuine enquiry, out of interest, I'm surprised that some have decided to see it as an act of insolence. I've known plenty of americans over the years, some as mentors, some as friends, one of my ex girlfriends is even american. So if my tone sounds a little like I think I'm superior, then I apologise as only a mortal can, if thats not good enough for you, then I suppose as an offended American, the only thing left for you to do is brand me a threat and bomb my country.
Lambchop wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:
Lambchop wrote:

I prefer to use more readily evident criteria.
Intellectuals and Tourists aside, what's with the red highlights?

Slan,
D. :-?

Red, you say? Oh, that . . . looks like the grammar and spelling checker kicked in.
Looks like the spelling and grammar checker missed a few. I've coloured the extra ones I spotted in Brown.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Martin Milner wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Gavin wrote:One of South Africa's main industries is tourism, the majority of tourists come from either europe or america. Lets just say that whenever a tourist on "safari" in one of the many game parks is mauled by a wild animal. Its usually not a european tourist.

Some years back an american lady wanted to take photo's of a lion cub in one the game parks, and wasn't satisfied with where the lion cub had decided to lie down. So she got out her vehicle and politely attempted to move the cub into a better photographic position. Needless to say the mother lion wasn't too happy about that. Guess what happend next. Lucky to survive her encouter with a fierce preditor, said tourists then decided to sue the game park, after being warned numerous times not to exit the vehicle
You asked about my experiance with americans, and no its not from TV, as I mentioned, tourists. Lots and lots of them. During peak season its hard to miss the somewhat large people in hawaian shirts, floppy hats and sandals, with a gigantic camera slung around the neck (which is not a good thing to do around here if anyone is thinking of visiting :) ) and lets not forget the 1:25 scale map unfurled completely, so as to act almost like a parasol. It is at this point, whilst during my busy day trying not to get mugged in a city, that I get asked "where can I find traditional dancers?" and "I didnt know africa was this modern" and "where can I see wild animals?". The only wild animals you will see in an african city, are the criminals and the tourists. :P

Now as I only enquired as to what is taught in American schools, as a genuine enquiry, out of interest, I'm surprised that some have decided to see it as an act of insolence. I've known plenty of americans over the years, some as mentors, some as friends, one of my ex girlfriends is even american. So if my tone sounds a little like I think I'm superior, then I apologise as only a mortal can, if thats not good enough for you, then I suppose as an offended American, the only thing left for you to do is brand me a threat and bomb my country.
Lambchop wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: Intellectuals and Tourists aside, what's with the red highlights?

Slan,
D. :-?

Red, you say? Oh, that . . . looks like the grammar and spelling checker kicked in.
Looks like the spelling and grammar checker missed a few. I've coloured the extra ones I spotted in Brown.
And I have added mine in green.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

GaryKelly wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Dibs on cyan, although cyan commas are hard to find.

But I will give the lad credit for knowing the difference between "then" and "than." (The "then" part, anyway)
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I thionk I may have used green for one too. Such is the penalty for being colourblind.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Good grief. I didn't think Gavin's posts sounded "superior"--they sounded actually quite accurate. I think the majority of Americans are unbelievably self-centered. I'm not talking about how much time you spend teaching a Sunday School class or how much money you give to "causes"--I'm talking about knowledge of other countries around the world, their relationships, and their problems. It may also be true of residents of other countries; in fact, it probably is. But the fact of the matter is that a great many Americans only care about what's on tv tonight and whether they should go to McDonald's for dinner or order in a pizza.

Susan
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

gonzo914 wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:
Martin Milner wrote: Looks like the spelling and grammar checker missed a few. I've coloured the extra ones I spotted in Brown.
Dibs on cyan, although cyan commas are hard to find.

But I will give the lad credit for knowing the difference between "then" and "than." (The "then" part, anyway)
I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the tourist did not attempt to reposition the cub with her vehicle (which could hardly be considered polite) but, rather, left said vehicle and attempted to adjust the cub manually. Purple.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cynth wrote:I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the tourist did not attempt to reposition the cub with her vehicle (which could hardly be considered polite) but, rather, left said vehicle and attempted to adjust the cub manually. Purple.
Cynth, you are not up on the latest in safari accessories.
This is refering to a small fold up vehicle, with repositioning extensors,. that fits in your hand bag.
djm

Post by djm »

susnfx wrote:what's on tv tonight and whether they should go to McDonald's for dinner or order in a pizza.
But isn't this what life is all about?

More than this
There can be
Nothing

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

hyldemoer wrote:Oh I guess I'll be going with Lampchop's take on it.
I'd really hoped there would be more material in the course to feed the creation of a Metis persona I was thinking about creating for historical reinactment.
I also hoped the class might give me a clearer picture of what actually was going on with the whole slavery issue.

Such a pity too. I guess these sort of low level history courses aren't set up for people really interested in history.
There's plenty of info out there, even if it's not in your credited course... seek and ye shall find... mostly... your intent sounds very interesting indeed. The lower level courses are pretty general... but there are sources if you are willing to ferret them out... talk to your prof and see if he/she knows anyone with the particular interest or expertise you seek... good luck!! It will be an adventure anyway.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

susnfx wrote:Good grief. I didn't think Gavin's posts sounded "superior"--they sounded actually quite accurate. I think the majority of Americans are unbelievably self-centered. I'm not talking about how much time you spend teaching a Sunday School class or how much money you give to "causes"--I'm talking about knowledge of other countries around the world, their relationships, and their problems. It may also be true of residents of other countries; in fact, it probably is. But the fact of the matter is that a great many Americans only care about what's on tv tonight and whether they should go to McDonald's for dinner or order in a pizza.

Susan
I believe Gavin is saying that Americans as individuals have cornered the market when it comes to poor intellect and self-centeredness. He is not saying that other people have these problems to the same degree. He points out, for example, that European tourists are not the ones found to be messing about with lion cubs. Therefore I think he does sound and, indeed, feel superior. I imagine most people in the world would agree with him. I cannot.

I think there is a difference between intellect (which Gavin takes a dim view of in his first post) and knowledge. I agree that Americans score poorly on standardized tests when compared to many other countries. I don't think the problem is just in the area of history and the study of other cultures either. However, I believe the intellects (which I take to mean ability to learn) of all humans to be equal. Their opportunities are not. I believe scoring poorly on these tests to be the result of the poor education many Americans receive. I believe this would be a more apt criticism of American society. Many Americans, however, receive excellent educations and have excellent knowledge of the world around them and its history. To state that one takes a dim view of the intellect of the average American individual is, in my opinion, an ethnic slur, for lack of a better term.

Whether or not one believes American individuals have cornered the market on self-centeredness would, I suppose, depend on one's experience although the alert person will recognize that personal experience is limited and is not perhaps the best basis for drawing conclusions about an entire people. I have found people to be more or less the same everywhere. Some are nice, some aren't. Some are self-centered, some aren't. So I would have to say that to state that American individuals are the most self-centered people in the world is, again in my opinion, an ethnic slur.

I believe I have a reasonably good record of not tolerating ethnic slurs. Obviously, as a US citizen, I am more sensitive to ethnic slurs concerning US citizens. I honestly believe, however, that I would have objected to Gavin's statement regardless of the people he was refering to. Had he stated that he and his countrymen take a dim view of the intellect of the average Bulgarian or consider most Laotians to be self-centered I would have been very offended and I would have said so. And I would understand that some Bulgarians are poorly educated and that some Laotians are self-centered but that I should not typify their societies in that way.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

Cynth wrote:I am more sensitive to ethnic slurs concerning US citizens
Sorry, but you are now messing with American-bashing, which is the most widely practised form of sport on the planet - even bigger than soccer! :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
lenf

Post by lenf »

Cynth wrote: Whether or not one believes American individuals have cornered the market on self-centeredness would, I suppose, depend on one's experience although the alert person will recognize that personal experience is limited and is not perhaps the best basis for drawing conclusions about an entire people. I have found people to be more or less the same everywhere. Some are nice, some aren't. Some are self-centered, some aren't. So I would have to say that to state that American individuals are the most self-centered people in the world is, again in my opinion, an ethnic slur.
Of course, we all wish to be considered an alert person, so we must agree.

The U.S. consumes almost half of the world's energy supplies with 5% of the population. This is a choice we make every day. It seems a bit self-centered to me.

The U.S. produces extremely high levels of pollution and ozone destroying chemicals, yet refuses to accept international standards because they might impair our economic well-being. This is a choice we make every day. It seems a bit self-centered to me.

The U.S. uses its military and economic clout to invade another country and refuses to live up to international standards of protection of innocents in that war. This is a choice we make every day. It seems a bit self-centered to me.

To call the statement "America is the most self-centered people or country in the world," an ethnic slur would, in my opinion, require that it be untrue.
"Clapham, like all cities, is built over a volcano." G.K. Chesterton
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

All I wanted to know is whats taught in schools over there, sorry for bothering to learn about your society/culture. It wont happen again on here. Stereotypes are said to be there for a reason, and I asked my origional question to try learn more and maybe dispell the stereotypes for myself, again I wont bother next time.

Its not as if I came out and called you stupid for spelling the word "colour" without a "u". (and no, that wasn't a round about way of trying to insult you) And yes, maybe I got a little carried away with defending my own position, but then that seems to be exactly what many of you did, so...take it, leave it, I'm done explaining myself.

Just for the record, I'm not a patriot, I'm not proud of my country, purely because I dont believe in the idea of countries. No one owns the earth, therefore its no one's right to carve it up into territories. cultures are what I believe define where we come from.
Where ever ye go, never take an idiot with you - ye can always pick one up when you get there :)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

djm wrote:
Cynth wrote:I am more sensitive to ethnic slurs concerning US citizens
Sorry, but you are now messing with American-bashing, which is the most widely practised form of sport on the planet - even bigger than soccer! :D

djm
Really, I'm not trying to start something or spoil the fun. I do try very hard to distinguish between comments about the US government or the country called the United States, which are single entities and can be judged according to their actions, and comments that judge the personal qualities of all US citizens based on the personal qualities of some individuals. I'm sure each society does have behaviors both good and bad that are encouraged or accepted in individuals and that might typify the behavior of many of its citizens. I can't say that I know what those behaviors are in any country though and I believe there will always be many exceptions.

And, you know, there is bashing and then there is bashing.

I also seem to be running a bit low on humor lately. Summer and I don't get along :lol: . Beware! We shall be entering the province of Ontario in a few days! :twisted: