oh r-e-a-l-l-y..?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Denny wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
Denny wrote:The article.
Thanks!

I find it fascinating that researchers are so often drawn to undergrads for experiments (prisoners rating as a close second).
:-? If ya have a whistle and you don't have a flute...do you play flute? :-?
When I drop a needle, I do not go to look for it where the light is better, rather where I dropped the needle.

Mostly I was joking much like the old joke “it was found that research causes cancer in rats.”
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Denny wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote: Thanks!

I find it fascinating that researchers are so often drawn to undergrads for experiments (prisoners rating as a close second).
:-? If ya have a whistle and you don't have a flute...do you play flute? :-?
When I drop a needle, I do not go to look for it where the light is better, rather where I dropped the needle.

Mostly I was joking much like the old joke “it was found that research causes cancer in rats.”
beware of sarcasm without smilies :lol:

I tend to look for my glasses until I forget about the needle...about the same time that I run it into my foot. Problem solved. :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:The was just recently a Nature on PBS about a baboon troop. It was amazing to see the similarities between their behavior and ours.
Sobering, isn't it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:
Cynth wrote:The was just recently a Nature on PBS about a baboon troop. It was amazing to see the similarities between their behavior and ours.
Sobering, isn't it.
Yeah, it's enough to drive you to drink.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It has.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Nanohedron wrote:
Sobering, isn't it.
On the contrary, I find it very life-affirming.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Denny wrote:The article.
Thanks!

Undergrads often have fewer time constraints than others, are willing to do odd things for a few bucks and are often pretty homogeneous in terms demographic factors. They are also available in large numbers at the very places (schools) at which researchers do much of their work.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

djm wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Sobering, isn't it.

djm
:lol: Well, I suppose it could mean we should just take off all our clothes and run through the streets. But I'll tell you right now, life is very hard for baboons during the dry season.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cynth wrote:
djm wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: Sobering, isn't it.

djm
:lol: Well, I suppose it could mean we should just take off all our clothes and run through the streets. But I'll tell you right now, life is very hard for baboons during the dry season.
Let's give it an other month or so...bit nippy yet.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, forgive me, but the study isn't quite so silly, IMO,
when placed in context.

The researchers have found in previous studies that women
go for status more than good looks in seeking out long-term
mates. Men go for good looks. This new research allegedly
shows that women, if they go for casual sex (which they
are less likely to than are men, according to the study)
are drawn to good looks more than other factors (e.g.
status or kindness).

That isn't earthshaking or unexpected, but, supposing the
study is sound, we've learned something that we didn't
actually know.

The report that people are interested in attractive members
of the opposite sex isn't news--but that women interested in
casual sex go for physical attractiveness
principally, while they go for something different
in seeking long term relations, has some interest.

A lot of research that makes sense as part of a larger program
can look silly taken alone.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

gonzo914 wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:I find it fascinating that researchers are so often drawn to undergrads for experiments (prisoners rating as a close second).
Undergrads are handy because you can pay them in grade points rather than actual, real money.
And they are actually a mite more likely to actually get into the bar... since the subjects behind the bars are generally barred from doing so... :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

anniemcu wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:I find it fascinating that researchers are so often drawn to undergrads for experiments (prisoners rating as a close second).
Undergrads are handy because you can pay them in grade points rather than actual, real money.
And they are actually a mite more likely to actually get into the bar... since the subjects behind the bars are generally barred from doing so... :)
This raises a question of sample selection. Do you think that inmates would have different perspective on what they prefer for a one night stand?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

jim stone wrote:Well, forgive me, but the study isn't quite so silly, IMO,
when placed in context.

The researchers have found in previous studies that women
go for status more than good looks in seeking out long-term
mates. Men go for good looks. This new research allegedly
shows that women, if they go for casual sex (which they
are less likely to than are men, according to the study)
are drawn to good looks more than other factors (e.g.
status or kindness).

That isn't earthshaking or unexpected, but, supposing the
study is sound, we've learned something that we didn't
actually know.

The report that people are interested in attractive members
of the opposite sex isn't news--but that women interested in
casual sex go for physical attractiveness
principally, while they go for something different
in seeking long term relations, has some interest.

A lot of research that makes sense as part of a larger program
can look silly taken alone.
But Jim, it seems like these people are studying just a certain type of people. Like, not very nice people or something. I mean, I hope it isn't just commonly believed that all women marry for status. I know all rich men have beautiful wives, I learned that from magazine covers at the checkout stand, but then those people aren't very nice really. What about love and talking and things like that? Regular people I know aren't going "Well, he's good looking but that one makes more money so I'll marry him." :lol: Actually, the women are making as much money as the men and they tend to drone on and on about honesty and stuff like that.

And the casual sex thing. Their findings are really not new. Jim, if you are this type of person and you are looking for something to eat and you are really hungry and don't have all night, you aren't going to do a lot of research, right? You are going to look around the room once and take the meal that looks the best. Since your concern does not go past the next few hours, other qualities just aren't that relevant. I mean you would want to avoid killers and the like, but beyond that it's just like eating a meal---I suppose sometimes it turns out better than others. God only knows. But for the long term, yes, you are going to need lots of money, so if you are this sort of person, then you have to find a male with status which in humans is money, one difference from the baboons where it is strength. But I don't think that many people behave this way, so that's why I don't think this research is particularly relevant besides not revealing anything we didn't already know.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Sample selection. What do people that have one-night-stands actually use for choosing? Undergrads speculate to their fantasies! Assuming that it is not more than 50% of the population, asking non one-night-stand members seems like just reinforcing stereotypes because they have never done it!