Pat Robertson at his finest

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Wormdiet wrote:
Turtle wrote:If there is irrefutable evidence such as multiple eye-witnesses or video
etc. then I think the death penalty should be enforced. If there is even
the shadow of a doubt however, a life sentence should be imposed. I
dont believe that the tax payer should have to support a proven murderer
for the rest of his of her natural life.
I believe that when a person preys
on others that he gives up those same rights that he takes away from his
victims.
FYI It's much cheaper to imprison someone for life than to go through the legal process of killing them.

I believe that a fundamental purpose of the prison system should be correction - eliminating the issues which cause criminals to commit crimes in the first place. IE rehabiliation. It isn't, which sucks.
The prison system is a tough subject, I know because I have worked in it before....
Our current system doesn't really punish or rehabilitate criminals, as it should be...
On the inside they learn how to be even better criminals...

Then there's the really scary ones... serial killer types that, if the arent on death row, are locked in solitary for life because they are a danger to themselves and other prisoners...
I am not for the death penalty, dont mistake me one iota....but when you actually have to work with these types of people and you recieve not only the best education that the University departments can offer, but the real life education that experiance gleans, you begin to understand that there are a great deal of these that cannot be rehabilitated
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

OnTheMoor wrote:
Turtle wrote: If there is even
the shadow of a doubt however, a life sentence should be imposed.
I was under the impression that if there was even a shadow of a doubt the accused goes free...
No, it's "reasonable doubt". Shadows of doubts are fine. I suppose the judge defines "reasonable" in his charge to the jury, but I don't know the definition offhand.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

izzarina wrote:
Roger O'Keeffe wrote:Pound to a penny that Robertson is also "pro-life" :boggle:
He would say that he is, but it's more correct to say that he is "Anti-Abortion" for he is not against CP and unless I am mistaken (which I could be...) he is also pro-Iraqi war. Most GOP Christian types really are not pro-life at all, they just like to think they are. In the end, they are Pro-whatever the GOP says.
Ouch. That's so true in my experience, and also true with a saddeningly large number of Democrats, although it doesn't seem to be with all of them.
Tyler Morris wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:
Turtle wrote:If there is irrefutable evidence such as multiple eye-witnesses or video
etc. then I think the death penalty should be enforced. If there is even
the shadow of a doubt however, a life sentence should be imposed. I
dont believe that the tax payer should have to support a proven murderer
for the rest of his of her natural life.
I believe that when a person preys
on others that he gives up those same rights that he takes away from his
victims.
FYI It's much cheaper to imprison someone for life than to go through the legal process of killing them.

I believe that a fundamental purpose of the prison system should be correction - eliminating the issues which cause criminals to commit crimes in the first place. IE rehabiliation. It isn't, which sucks.
The prison system is a tough subject, I know because I have worked in it before....
Our current system doesn't really punish or rehabilitate criminals, as it should be...
On the inside they learn how to be even better criminals...

Then there's the really scary ones... serial killer types that, if the arent on death row, are locked in solitary for life because they are a danger to themselves and other prisoners...
I am not for the death penalty, dont mistake me one iota....but when you actually have to work with these types of people and you recieve not only the best education that the University departments can offer, but the real life education that experiance gleans, you begin to understand that there are a great deal of these that cannot be rehabilitated
As a person with multiple friends, neighbours, and family members in prison, I can attest that this is true. One thing I would like to do to the prison system if I were in charge is get better counselors. In the US prison counselors/psychologists/therapists are paid next to nothing and the M.A. and PhD level counselors do not work there for the large part. The folks who are designated "counselor" are those with B.A. degrees or lower and those who nobody else will hire. This is especially troubling because prisoners need adequate mental health care more than the general population.

I wish more higher-level better trained psychologists would accept lower-paying jobs that put their lives in danger, but I don't think it will be happening any time soon.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

s1m0n wrote:
OnTheMoor wrote:
Turtle wrote: If there is even
the shadow of a doubt however, a life sentence should be imposed.
I was under the impression that if there was even a shadow of a doubt the accused goes free...
No, it's "reasonable doubt". Shadows of doubts are fine. I suppose the judge defines "reasonable" in his charge to the jury, but I don't know the definition offhand.
Ah, right. Why I'm not a lawyer, and why everyone should be thankful for that.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Cranberry wrote: It's called being inconsistent.

And that's what bothers me about most Republicans and Democrats. They're pro-life in one instance (abortion or the death penalty) and usually pro-death on the other. It doesn't make sense because it is fundamentally illogical.
Well, Cran, not all Dems or Repubs are "inconsistent" as you say.

Also of course, it's only fundamentally illogical depending upon one's view of the whole "when does life begin" debate.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I haven't taken the time to read this thread so forgive me if I'm off point or redundant.

If an Islamic cleric had made a similar suggestion about W he would instantly be called a terrorist. I found some State dept spokesman's comment (ABC news) that Pat Robertson is a private citizen who's views do not represent the administration to be stunningly offensive.
Jack

Post by Jack »

TomB wrote:...it's only fundamentally illogical depending upon one's view of the whole "when does life begin" debate.
The person who is shot or bombed to death on the battlefield--has life begun for them yet?
TomB

Post by TomB »

Cranberry wrote:
TomB wrote:...it's only fundamentally illogical depending upon one's view of the whole "when does life begin" debate.
The person who is shot or bombed to death on the battlefield--has life begun for them yet?

This would begin a never-ending debate on the Thread, one that has been discussed many times, and one I am not jumping into with you here.

I simply feel that your entire "illogical" argument is to simplistic.

All the Best, Tom
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Life begins at forty.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
TomB

Post by TomB »

jbarter wrote:Life begins at forty.

Hmm, in that case, I turned 11- today!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

No wonder I've been feeling like something was lacking in my life as of late....mine hasn't even started yet! :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

izzarina wrote:
No wonder I've been feeling like something was lacking in my life as of late....mine hasn't even started yet! :wink:
hmmm...so if life begins at forty, and you and I haven't even started our lives yet, have we been concieved yet?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
TomB

Post by TomB »

Tyler Morris wrote:
izzarina wrote:
hmmm...so if life begins at forty, and you and I haven't even started our lives yet, have we been concieved yet?

Umm, do you really want to get that mental picture in your mind?? :P

Tom
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

TomB wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
izzarina wrote: No wonder I've been feeling like something was lacking in my life as of late....mine hasn't even started yet! :wink:

Tom
We could put it on the Discovery Channel or the National Geographic Channel.... :lol:
TomB

Post by TomB »

Tyler Morris wrote:
TomB wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: hmmm...so if life begins at forty, and you and I haven't even started our lives yet, have we been concieved yet?

Tom
We could put it on the Discovery Channel or the National Geographic Channel.... :lol:

Or the HISTORY Channel! :o