Third Test Thread

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
oscartherabbit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by oscartherabbit »

Vaughan is gone. 166. b Katich ct McGrath.

290-3.

Bell doesn't sound comfortable against Warne. Sonic's first ball will be from Warne...
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

oscartherabbit wrote:Vaughan's just scored and all run four. How does that get scored? I mean - does it count as a boundary for the stats? I suspect not, but then how would you indicate that in the scorebook to differentiate it from the more normal 4?
The answer is that it does not get counted as a boundary. It sort of makes sense. An all run five isn't a boundary—they are possible on the bigger Australian grounds.

In case you're wondering, I only know that because I was watching the BBC telecast when it happened. When I played cricket we didn't draw a distinction in the score book. You just wrote 4 however it was scored.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

At 341-5, I can't help thinking we're at least 150 short of where we need to be on this wicket before Australia starts their first innings.

Fingies crossed Bell and Flintoff can pull off a mighty partnership!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Flintoff and Bell gone,

433-7 before lunch
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I can't escape the feeling that, in the great tradition of English cricket, the weather will determine the result.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

434-8 at lunch :(

Aye JB, I reckon you could be right. Failing that, it could go the full five days and still end in a draw...

444 all out.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Commentary exchange of the match so far.

Geoff Boycott: Gee you're an idiot Greigy. You'd find more brains in a pork pie than you've got.

Tony Greig: I think I'll let that one go through to the keeper.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Don't you just love Boycs?
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Australia 58-1
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Whoop-de-doo. 3 gone. :thumbsup:
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

One of these days you all will have to explain crickett to me...
When I lived in Canada I tried to watch several matches, And i just couldn't get it.... :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Can someone explain to me what 4s and 6s are? I am looking at the BBC scorecard. Also, there is this cryptic line for England's first inning:

Extras: 15nb 3w 4b 5lb Runs: 27

:-?
/Bloomfield
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Tyler Morris wrote:One of these days you all will have to explain crickett to me...
CRICKET: As explained to a foreigner...
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jbarter wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:One of these days you all will have to explain crickett to me...
CRICKET: As explained to a foreigner...
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!
oh... :-?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Bloomfield wrote:Can someone explain to me what 4s and 6s are? I am looking at the BBC scorecard. Also, there is this cryptic line for England's first inning:

Extras: 15nb 3w 4b 5lb Runs: 27

:-?
When a batsman hits the ball beyond the boundary without it touching the ground that scores six (bit like a home run really).

When a batsman hits the ball beyond the boundary but it touches the ground on the way that scores four.

Extras are runs awarded to the batting side for bad bowling by the fielding side. No balls where the umpire declares the the bowler infringed a rule (normally overstepping the bowling area) Then theres wides, byes, and leg-byes.
(BTW, my name is John)