Strong Food Aversions

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Strong Food Aversions

Post by missy »

I love brussel sprouts - but they must be young ones, and not over cooked. I love love love spinach. In fact, I'll eat any veggie - but I don't "like" overcooked ones, and I"m not crazy about sweet ones - carrots, beets, sweet potato, etc. when cooked so fat that all you taste is the sweet.

Tom found this recipe for kale that uses the wok, purple onions, and olive oil with just a touch of sesame oil. Yummy.

Seriously - other than bananas, I cannot think of any food I can't eat. I've eaten a lot of "game" meats, panfish - ok, I will draw the line on carp, but that's because they are so hard to clean and not contaminate with the mud vein.

We're just getting used to using cheese and milk again - my oldest is allergic to cow's milk so I had 18 years of not cooking with it.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

missy wrote:...the mud vein.
You mean the colon?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Fried, slimy okra. Absolutely can't fathom why anyone would like it. And that coming from a card carrying Texan at that.

I'm with Nano on the gristle too.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Jack

Post by Jack »

Dale wrote:
Jack wrote:I...It would be like eating a dead baby or eggplant....
Hm. It would be like one of those?

If absolutely forced, would you rather eat a dead baby or an eggplant?

Good name for an album: "Dead Baby or Eggplant"
They're the same for me. I posted about this before, which is why I (re)mentioned it, that eggplant reminds me of eating dead babies.

I haven't eaten many dead babies, but whenever I eat eggplants, that's what it FEELS LIKE, in my mouth. Like the soft, supple baby fat skin off a little baby's dead body that has been fried or boiled or whatever. It's really gross and I'm extraordinarily averse to it. Just thinking about it makes me shiver. :(

I know it's irrational, and I know it seems wacko. But it is what it is, you know? It's one of those quirks I have.

I'd die before I was an eggplant farmer! :P
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Apart from bad beer (which has thus far prevented me from visiting the US), I can and do eat or drink absolutely everything to excess and with relish, with one exception. I can't stand anything that has cooked apples in it, and the sloppier the apples the more I could throw up at the very thought. So this rules out apple pie, apple crumble and apple sauce, as well as many chutneys and pickles. I can just about force down cooked rhubarb, though I would never willingly choose it from a menu. There is just something so horribly sloppy, sour and glossy about the taste and texture of cooked apples. I love apples, but I swiftly part company with them when they are in any guise other than the raw, crisp article.
Last edited by SteveShaw on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Can't you bring beer with you?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

My father literally can't swallow mushrooms.
If he puts them in his mouth, his throat closes
and refuses to let them pass through his
esophagus. I don't know why. I though that
would make it harder when he decided to stop
eating meat, but he seems to get by.
Jack wrote:Can't you bring beer with you?
You can't get on a plane with more than a few
ounces of liquid these days.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

Dale wrote:[

Good name for an album: "Dead Baby or Eggplant"
nananananana....

a Band, yes:

'Dead Baby Eggplant' will be at the Khyber saturday 11pm. No cover.
and now, here's 'Dead Baby Eggplant' with their hit set, 'Garbagebottom'; 'Ruse', and 'Pickle Molester'.

..then again...

there's always raw onions. :)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Picklemolester!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

There are lots of foods that I dislike, some of the same one's already mentioned-
Brussel sprouts, cooked greens, asparagus, any food, particularly seafood, that is squishy,slimey or rubbery

but there is one that I do have what I would consider an aversion to-

milk

I can't ever remember drinking it. I can remember, as a first grader in school, being forced by a teacher to drink my milk...I just stuck the straw in the carton and pretended, then threw it away.

Once, I wasn't looking, and picked up the wrong glass by mistake. The vile stuff was in my mouth before I realized.....
but it did not go down. :P
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

s1m0n wrote:
rebl_rn wrote: A friend of mine calls Brussels Sprouts "Green Balls Of Death".
When I was a kid, my dad had v. large vegetable garden, and grew nearly all the vegetables we ate. Among these, alas, were brussels sprouts. At harvest time we processed and froze large amounts of produce. Sprouts could safely stay in the ground until the first frost, or beyond. Often we'd be freezing sprouts in late november or early december. At that time, the plant itself has died and the roots have whithered to the point that a stalk can be pulled whole from the ground, leaving each individual sprout to be cut off with a paring knife. (Brussels sprouts grow like tiny, fetid brains ringing the 16 or so inch stalk of the plant; see below).

And I can report that while the sprouts themselves are bad enough, the stems were beginning to rot, and were horrid: anything in the nasty, sulphurous brassica (cabbage) family has the capacity to stink, and stink it did! Ugh! I shiver now to think of it.

wow, you all's brussell sprouts looked great. all the ones we ever grew, as tasty as they were, looked like their anorexic cousins.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Dale wrote:
mutepointe wrote: Miracle Whip, Rye Bread, and Brie & Bleu Cheese come to mind as foods I avoid.
But, I'm looking not for foods people merely avoid, but for foods people react to with particular, almost biological aversion.
Celery makes me hurl. Is that what you mean?

Yes, Doc, it all goes back to that deli serving me a Cel-Ray soda instead of the creme soda I ordered.
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
KNQuail

Post by KNQuail »

Oh, I could go on forever about my food aversions. My friends and family constantly rag on me for being a "picky" eater, but I don't think I'm picky...certain foods just trigger the ol' gag reflex. It's not a matter of simply not liking the taste...if necessary, I can choke down things that simply do not taste good to me, but certain foods are completely inedible. I don't know why. I was a preemie, and I've read recently about many preemies having severe food/eating aversions, maybe that's my problem, but I guess I'll never know.

1. Condiments...salad dressing, mayo, ketchup, mustard, dips of any kind, etc. Bleeeeaaaaach. Make your food all wet and slimy. Ick.

2. Cheese. The smell is bad enough, but the texture (unless it's melted, like on pizza or a grilled cheese sandwich and even then I only like really mild stuff like American or mozzarella) literally makes me gag. A quick story...a few weeks ago my dad made a nice salad to go with dinner...but, unbeknownst to me, mixed in some sharp chedder. I took a huge mouthful and things were going fine til I sunk my teeth into a piece of that damn cheese...I RAN to the kitchen, spit it into the trash can, and stood there gagging for almost 5 minutes.

3. Mushy stuff. Like overripe bananas. I'm not crazy about bananas to begin with, but once they get too soft, forget about it. Puke-worthy. And soggy toast. I've always had to toast my bread, waffles, English muffins, etc til they're practically burnt. Once, when I was about 5, my aunt was staying with us while my mom was in the hospital giving birth to my brother. One morning for breakfast she made waffles and they were barely toasted and when I chewed it and tried to swallow, I couldn't. I just gagged til I puked.

4. Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, artichokes. The smell alone turns my stomach. Putting them in my mouth? You guessed it. Gag-inducing.

5. Nuts. I can not stand the texture. I love peanut butter as long as it's creamy but that's it. I think cashews and almonds smell so delicious, but I can't get past the texture long enough to swallow them.

There are a few things that fall into these categories, yet oddly enough don't bother me. You'd think applesauce and yogurt would be problematic in that they're mushy, slimy, and wet, but I love them. It's weird. And mashed potatoes. They're mushy, but I love them. They're the ultimate comfort food.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

There is one food I can't stand the smell of...as in, being in the same room with it makes me physically ill. That's lamb. One whiff and it's like getting a noseful of fomaldehyde. No other food smell hits me in that way...even foods with smells that I consider unpleasant. I don't particularly like the smell of fish, for example, but I can sit next to someone eating fish with no problem.

It's not a conceptual problem (I don't eat meat anymore, but it doesn't disgust me). It's not even a matter of disliking the taste of lamb. We didn't eat it when I was growing up, and as an adult, even when I ate meat, there's no way I could have ever gotten close enough to the stuff to try it...the smell just absolutely gags me.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Dale wrote:Just captured this Google Ad on this page.

You're not giving medical advice, are you? :poke:

Some of you sprout haters have probably only tasted them 'way overcooked. Get 'em fresh, cut off the bottoms and strip off any discolored leaves. Steam or nuke them so they're still bright green and just fork tender. A bit of real butter and they're fabulous. Overcooked they really are pretty gross (but they still don't physically repel me)

Steve-- don't let our run of the mill commercial "beer" keep you away from the Colonies.. We DO have some good, REAL beer. You just gotta look a bit..Image
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!