Magnetic tape art

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Magnetic tape art

Post by djm »

I don't need to be remembered. Big difference. I don't equate some individual's need to be remembered with anything good or worthy.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:..or this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhOc0V-ES40

Singing...

Slan,
D.
One of his best. Well...imo anyway. :P

In MY opinion, there are many people who have done covers of Dylan tunes...some good and some bad, but all of them have added their own bit of spice to the mix when they've covered it. There are quite a few of them I listen to over and over again. But in the end, when it's all said and done, there's no one who does it as well as the man who wrote it. It doesn't matter what his voice sounds like, because only he is the one who truly understands what that tune is all about, and therefore only he can sing it the way it should be sung.

And I think I talk to Dub far too much :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:Bob the Singer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueGuzmot ... re=related

I rest my case..

Slan,
D. :D
And that one IS his best. Well....second best. ;) Close second, though.

:D
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Mr. D, I'm glad to see you finally got into form on this one. :thumbsup:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

It doesn't matter what his voice sounds like, because only he is the one who truly understands what that tune is all about, and therefore only he can sing it the way it should be sung.
So let me get this right izzy; I wrote a tune for the whistle, so it wouldn't matter how bad my whistle sounded (or how badly I played it) because only I am the one who truly understands what the tune is about, and therefore only I can play it the way it should be played?
:boggle:
Sorry dubh, but my apparent inability to appreciate his…ahem…singing is only reinforced by:
Get yer vocals around this...
Sorry, it’s bad enough listening to it without having to join in.
..or this..singing.
You are joking aren’t you?
Bob the singer…I rest my case.
Yep, and you just rested my case too with this fine example.
Just in case any body doubts... Dig it...nothing finer from a guy who can't sing.
I didn’t say he can’t sing, I just don’t like his attempts at singing.
I think you are similar to my Dylan loving friend, no matter how many times I tell him that I don't like Dylan's voice, then the more albums he'll dig out and get me to listen to some obscure track thinking that this will be the one to convert me. It hasn't worked before and never will.
I must say Dylan's Mr Tambourine man is pretty good, I have always likedit.
I can see why he was so pissed off that the Byrds had a bigger hit with it than he did. :thumbsup:
My God !!! Did I just give Dylan a thumbs up?? :boggle: :shock:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Ceili_whistle_man wrote:
It doesn't matter what his voice sounds like, because only he is the one who truly understands what that tune is all about, and therefore only he can sing it the way it should be sung.
So let me get this right izzy; I wrote a tune for the whistle, so it wouldn't matter how bad my whistle sounded (or how badly I played it) because only I am the one who truly understands what the tune is about, and therefore only I can play it the way it should be played?
:boggle:
The person who writes a song, whether they perform it well or not, is the only person who can truly understand the mindset behind that song because it is based on their personal experiences. Because of that, the person who wrote it is the only person who can perform that song correctly. Others can do it well, and oftentimes perform it better than the original, but they can never get the right feel unless they have experienced what brought about the song to begin with.

There are people who write for others and never perform themselves. I've often wondered if the people they write the tunes for actually do get it as they sing. It's one thing to perform something spectacularly well, but quite another to feel the song in the way it's meant to be felt. Or, I'm just full of sh*t, which could very well be the case :P
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

If you contrast this with poets reading their own poems, the general observation is very different. In general poets do not read their own work well. For musicians it has been fashionable in the past half century or so for singers to be singer-songwriters. If they don't do a popular job they don't succeed. But voices are a matter of taste. I can completely understand how people do not like to hear Dylan sing (or play the harmonica, come to that).
I shared a room once with a fellow-Ulsterman who was a Dylan fan and liked to play his stuff. I still have nightmares about "Fetch me a Copper Kettle" sung in a very broad Norn Iron Accent.

"Fatch me a Coppur Katul..." :boggle:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

cowtime wrote:Mr. D, I'm glad to see you finally got into form on this one. :thumbsup:

Don't get me started....

But now that I'm here..

I have, for nearly forty years, been amazed by the absolute beauty of Dylans voice.

It has everything that Charlie Parkers Sax, Miles Davis trumpet, Grappellis fiddle had...and more.
It never fails to amaze me..sadden is probably a better word, how people cannot hear the beauty of it all.

A voice unique among a generation of voices.

I pity the aural poverty of those who deny the wonder...the joy..the beauty of that voice.

I once thought that his voice was that of a God among men..I know better now.

It is the voice of a God among Gods.

Each to their own...alas.

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
djm

Post by djm »

Clearly, you seem to enjoy a unique aural filtering system. It must have something to do with where you stick your head. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

I have, for nearly forty years, been amazed by the absolute beauty of Dylans voice.
Tinitis can be a terrible affliction :D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!