What tree did you fall from?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
talasiga
antispam: No

Re: What tree did you fall from?

Post by talasiga »

not only do we read what we want to read
but we write what we want to write ......
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Seems clear to me. It thinks you are perverts. :poke:
Not me!! I was a Weeping Willow :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Ooh, I'm an olive tree which I like as you can only be an olive tree on one day of the year apparantly.

I'd probably have put myself down as a pine: rough skinned, knotty and common, with a resinus smell redolent of freshly cleaned toilets.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

izzarina wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote: Seems clear to me. It thinks you are perverts. :poke:
Not me!! I was a Weeping Willow :P
Nor me...I am a modest fig tree. :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

50/50, at best.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I think I fell from an aspen tree.
Aspen: Tall, thin, pale, yellow on top, tough but prone to breakage and sun burn, resistant to cold, usually found in the mountains, deep-rooted, often eaten by deer.
It all makes sense except the last part.
T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

WyoBadger wrote:I think I fell from an aspen tree.
Aspen: Tall, thin, pale, yellow on top, tough but prone to breakage and sun burn, resistant to cold, usually found in the mountains, deep-rooted, often eaten by deer.
T
Maybe that happens while you're asleep. :wink:

Aspens are one of the more interesting Ogham trees. Aspen was strongly taboo in Celtic culture. The rod used to measure funeral mounds was made from Aspen, and to tell someone you would hit them with an aspen rod was equivalent to our modern two-word swear. Aspen was thought to channel energy from below. Its counterpart, channelling energy from above, was the white poplar - a tree from the same family. If you cut a branch that is about an inch thick, from aspen, there is a dark pithy core in the shape of a five-pointed star. Do the same with a white poplar, there is a white five-pointed star. Do the same with an oak, there is a white five-pointed star and radial lines, two for each point. Thicker branches don't show this, as the pith becomes heartwood.
In old Irish culture, the Aspen is a tree of ill-omen. Often found in mountains? Hmmm.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

WyoBadger wrote:I think I fell from an aspen tree.
T
In the West aspens basically employ a clonal reproductive strategy, That's non-sexual, vegetative reproduction, suckers actually. Does that still fit? :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

IB wrote:Aspens are one of the more interesting Ogham trees. Aspen was strongly taboo in Celtic culture. The rod used to measure funeral mounds was made from Aspen, and to tell someone you would hit them with an aspen rod was equivalent to our modern two-word swear. Aspen was thought to channel energy from below. Its counterpart, channelling energy from above, was the white poplar - a tree from the same family.
Sources, please. Where do you get this drivel?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwest

Post by dwest »

djm wrote:
IB wrote:Aspens are one of the more interesting Ogham trees. Aspen was strongly taboo in Celtic culture. The rod used to measure funeral mounds was made from Aspen, and to tell someone you would hit them with an aspen rod was equivalent to our modern two-word swear. Aspen was thought to channel energy from below. Its counterpart, channelling energy from above, was the white poplar - a tree from the same family.

djm
I think technically the aspen, Eadhadh, should be a willow, Sail. The druids are a little behind the times. I'm a member of the Gort Eradication Organization(GEO) to eliminate non-native, invasive plants and trees of the Ogham.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Innocent Bystander wrote: In old Irish culture, the Aspen is a tree of ill-omen. Often found in mountains? Hmmm.
In Wyoming badgerly culture, aspens are a welcome relief when arriving in the mountains after traveling through the desert.
dwest wrote: In the West aspens basically employ a clonal reproductive strategy, That's non-sexual, vegetative reproduction, suckers actually. Does that still fit?
Well, um, no. I somehow missed that part. It IS pretty cool, though, that an entire mountainside covered with aspens is often a single tree, all branches sprung up from one immense set of roots. An aspen usually doesn't reproduce or clone so much as spread.

You can see this happening in the fall--an entire grove turns the same color at the same time.

And aspens are indeed members of the poplar family, related to cottonwoods, another favorite of mine. But I wouldn't want to fall from one of those--too tall.
T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

We have aspen trees here in the north, too, where what we lack in altitude we make up in latitude. A famous former Fairbanksan dubbed aspens "arboreal weeds," presumably because they are very hard to kill and their wood isn't as useful as birch trees, which grow in the same microclimates. It's lucky aspens are so tough because ours have been battling an insect infestation of aspen leaf miners for years now. The leaf miner eats the green chlorophyll layer out of the leaves, which makes the trees look silvery-colored rather than green all summer, and turns their usual brilliant autumn gold to a pasty pale yellow.

I love looking out at the hills in the fall and seeing huge patches of gold in the midst of green, or vice versa, from the large groves of aspen. We still have gold on the hills from the birches in the fall, but the leaf miner has destroyed much of the glory of autumn by subduing the color of the aspens. I hope they can recover.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

"What tree did you fall from?"
Way off for me ... guess i'm just one of those 'turnip truck' types. :P
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

dwest wrote:
scientific fact
Would the obverse be 'religious lie'?

(Edit) Oops, forgot to add, anyone of those trees would fit, I picked one at random and it fitted. Then I read the 'correct' tree for my birthdate, seems I am an Elm. Sounds about right, I went to Elmgrove Primary School in Belfast NI. I do have an affinity with Elms. Lots of them where I lived. Then again, there were lots of stinging nettles, I did have an affinity with those too! :D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

djm wrote:

djm
We make it up to tease you. :poke:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!