An irresistable offer, ladies.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Jerry Freeman wrote:... to use it to describe how one is occupying one's time illustrates how seriously, utterly, completely bored, directionless and unproductive the speaker must be.
Which, in an oblique way, brings us back to the original subject of this thread.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:... to use it to describe how one is occupying one's time illustrates how seriously, utterly, completely bored, directionless and unproductive the speaker must be.
Which, in an oblique way, brings us back to the original subject of this thread.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Arguably what we have just witnessed was not so much thread drift as thread Coriolis Effect. Or something.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Why have almost entirely men responded to this thread?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

They haven't.

Slightly less than 2/3 of the posts have been by men. To me, that seems to be the usual proportion for general Pub threads and I suspect that's a reflection of the gender distribution of the usual participants on C&F.
Last edited by Lambchop on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is great! What a wonderfully productive day you folks have had. I should go away more often. :D

djm

Here Spot! Here Spot! Come on, Spot ......

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Lambchop wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Lambchop wrote:Can you go back and ask? We need to know.
:lol:

Actually, I've just been searching a slew of slang and phrase websites and can't find it listed anywhere! I was hoping to find some background on the phrase, whether attestable, anecdotal, or mere guesses. Must be it's a pretty limited usage.

In any case it's a rather bizarre image. :boggle:

Yes, but there were two of you who used it. You and djm. So it can't be all that limited.

Now it's stuck in all of our minds.

Have I mentioned that this is an abomination?
But you know, Lamby, I hadn't heard of that other "famous pastime" you mentioned either. I am not sure if it is an abomination or not.

The Urban Dictionary doesn't make its meaning quite clear. But I'm not going to post those definitions here.

And it seems to be found in political articles too:
Is corporate taxation a progressive answer to revenue shortfalls or just another game of "hide the salami"?

Econ. 101 question: Who exactly pays the cost of corporate taxes? Is it *someone else*, or is it *us*?

Answer: Only individuals bear the cost of corporate taxes:

* customers, in the form of higher prices
* employees, in the form of lower wages
* shareholders, in the form of lower dividends
* everyone else, in the form of higher inflation / lower purchasing power

Sorry Blue Oregon. Corporate taxation is simply a case of politicians shifting the cost of government (hiding the salami) by enslaving corporations to be tax collectors. This scam is not only legal and acceptable, but even a Kleptoratic shibboleth. What a shame. There should be more transparency so consumers can know what it truly costs.

Note:
shibboleth - a custom, principle, or belief distinguishing a particular class or group of people, esp. a long-standing one regarded as outmoded or no longer important
[/url]
Then again:
Man fined for hiding his salami

A SWISS student is counting the cost of hiding a sausage, after being charged under Australia's strict quarantine laws and fined $4,000 in a Perth court.

Dylan Pascal Graves, a Swiss national studying English in Western Australia, was nabbed carrying a salami at Perth International Airport in November after a routine search by Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) officers.
After declaring twice he was not carrying any food, officers found the 400 grams of salami in his luggage via an x-ray scan.

When asked why he had not declared the salami, he replied he had intended to eat it.

Perth magistrate Graeme Calder yesterday fined Graves $4000 on the charges of knowingly making a misleading statement to an officer, and knowingly importing a prohibited food into the country.

According to AQIS's Perth Airport acting manager Ian Ladner, such importation of uncooked meats posed a serious risk of foot-and-mouth disease.

"The foot and mouth outbreak in the United Kingdom in February 2001 brought home to Australians just how easily livelihoods can be devastated by exotic diseases," Mr Ladner said.

"With so many people travelling at this time of year, the penalty serves as a reminder to passengers that they must declare all items of quarantine concern – including food and souvenirs made with animal or plant material."

AQIS screens all incoming flights for pest and disease risks, using a combination of detector dogs, X-ray examination and physical inspection of passengers' bags.
I have two new phrases stuck in my mind :lol: !
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lambchop wrote:Yes, but there were two of you who used it. You and djm. So it can't be all that limited.
By the way, I feel obligated to point out that you made an assumption about me. Never mind that I never once used the phrase in my posts, here, you have no way of proving I ever used it in my life at all. I never said I did, after all. For all you know, I stuck my fingers in my ears and went "Lalalalalalalalalala..." every time I heard it. Not that I'm saying your assumption would be wrong, of course, but, you know. :wink:
Last edited by Nanohedron on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalaa .......

djm
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalaa .......

djm
Do you remember that LaBouche song that went like that? :P
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:But you know, Lamby, I hadn't heard of that other "famous pastime" you mentioned either. I am not sure if it is an abomination or not.
Well, it is. I'm sure of it. I wouldn't say something like that if it weren't true. <tsk tsk>

Nanohedron wrote:
Lambchop wrote:Yes, but there were two of you who used it. You and djm. So it can't be all that limited.
By the way, I feel obligated to point out that you made an assumption about me. Never mind that I never once used the phrase in my posts, here, you have no way of proving I ever used it in my life at all. I never said I did, after all. For all you know, I stuck my fingers in my ears and went "Lalalalalalalalalala..." every time I heard it. Not that I'm saying your assumption would be wrong, of course, but, you know. :wink:

That's why I assumed it on both counts.

Protest all you want. I know better. You can't Lalalalalalalala me, busters. <snort>

Now, both of you, scamper off to meet those cute nursing students who're visiting Cynth. We laid in a good supply of ginger ale and we're going to have some excellent folk dancing for wholesome entertainment! Maybe a sing-along, too. I'll be along in a bit with some s'mores and Chex mix.
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm

Post by djm »

Luv ginger ale!. :thumbsup:

djm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:Luv ginger ale!. :thumbsup:

djm

If you want, we can sneak off and have some lobster . . . I've got the keys to the kitchen . . . you'll be back before those girls finish their s'mores . . .
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:you'll be back before those girls finish their s'mores . . .
Who needs to come back? :wink: :wink:

djm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
Lambchop wrote:you'll be back before those girls finish their s'mores . . .
Who needs to come back? :wink: :wink:

djm
:) Oooooo! I'll get some steak out, as well! Oh, no, wait . . . the smell will alert everyone. Hmm, what else . . . what else . . .
Cotelette d'Agneau
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Lambchop wrote:That's why I assumed it on both counts.
All of which excuses lax form, I take it. :poke: