Who has the best broccoli recipe?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

djm wrote:Broccoli and cauliflower, together, raw, totally nekkid, without a net. Awesome! :thumbsup:

djm
OK, but raw cruciferous vegetables are thyroid-suppressants. Best to cook them.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

kkrell wrote:
djm wrote:Broccoli and cauliflower, together, raw, totally nekkid, without a net. Awesome! :thumbsup:

djm
OK, but raw cruciferous vegetables are thyroid-suppressants. Best to cook them.

Kevin Krell
Thank you; thank you for that scientific excuse to continue to indulge in cooking them. I've got the garlic covered, but I need to rationalize the butter now. :D
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Lots of mouth watering goodies on offer in the chiff today!!

I gotta eat!

Brocolli - Steam for 2 minutes Just after the steak is getting its final glaze. Then turn off to sit

Buttered Mushrooms and onion (pre caramellised by adding to frypan with the steaks [sirloin] while mushrooms boil with butter or olive oil) this, with green peppercorns makes the gravy - pour water into frypan after placing steak on wamed plates. Water boils in frypan ... reduce, add Mushroom/onion stir with wooden spoon to pick-up the broth - half cover steak, add bright green Brocolli from steamer. Dress florettes quickly with dob of butter. Serve as the butter glazes the green but still shows some yellow.

Pass the salt

Even good with zuchinni caramelised with the onion ... damnit - batter and deep fry the zuchinni medalions while the steak's frying (take the battery out of the smoke detector and open a window to amuse the vegos next door).

Why stop there?

Sirloin's good but fillet is better - mind the seering must be thorough and the bacon strips a little over sized, pin with a toothpick seeer, seerrr on hot as hell then way way down to cook keep them moving to gain a crust ... add cabernet or merlot to assist glaze and flavour, stick a half a cup in the mushrooms and the other half in the cook - use merlot instead of water for the broth. The steak is done when the cook starts singing. ... some chopped black olives in with the mushrooms (not too much) a teeny bit of tarragon ...

Pop another botlle for the table - French Cabernet or West Oz merlot ... Devil's Lair 2000 or before. 84 and 96 were magic .. only 2 years to go for the next one!

Just let the brocolli have it's voice - keep it simple.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

gonzo914 wrote:Put a handful of washed broccoli florets in a bowl.

Pour yourself a glass of Glenmorangie -- Sherry finish is nice.

Eat the broccoli.

Brush your teeth.

Rinse and spit.

Drink the Scotch.
No no no no no!! Any fool knows that it just has to be portwood finish with broccoli! :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

I.D.10-t wrote:Do you all eat broccoli on the table without a plate like SteveShaw does?
I put the fork in the picture to add scale! The broccoli turns dark green when cooked, but you can eat it raw. Fifteen thousand caterpillars, two million grey-green aphids and five hundredweight of slugs and snails in my garden could attest to that and I haven't yet met a single one of these minibeasts with a dodgy thyroid. :lol:

talasiga

Post by talasiga »

SteveShaw wrote:
Fifteen thousand caterpillars, two million grey-green aphids and five hundredweight of slugs and snails in my garden could attest to that and I haven't yet met a single one of these minibeasts with a dodgy thyroid. :lol:
That may be because the synergy of nutrients in what they eat hasn't been tampered by pronouncements about foods based on effects of isolated components in them.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

talasiga wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:
Fifteen thousand caterpillars, two million grey-green aphids and five hundredweight of slugs and snails in my garden could attest to that and I haven't yet met a single one of these minibeasts with a dodgy thyroid. :lol:
That may be because the synergy of nutrients in what they eat hasn't been tampered by pronouncements about foods based on effects of isolated components in them.
I'll say amen to that.

djm

Post by djm »

"Thyroid suppressant" sounds like one of those unfounded quasi-medical terms used by screwball religions like macroneurotics. I have not been able to find anything to support this allegation.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

You have to read the small print under the unfired broccoli leaf .......
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Monster

Post by Monster »

Flyingcursor wrote:Image

F.C. Who is that?

Here's a classic photo.

So many great broccoli recipes!! Thanks everyone, I am in awe of the culinary sophistication here in the pub. :wink:

Todays lunch menu will include another spinach salad, broccoli sauteed in olive oil, with perhaps a little grated cheese on top. I am repeating my lunch menu in order to use up what is on hand. I must go to the market to pick up a small piece of fish to supplement the veggies.

So, who has the best fish recipe? :lol:
insert uber smart comment here
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Monster wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:Image

F.C. Who is that?

It's Dana Garvey.

I'm shocked nobody had noticed the reference.

There's a lady I know
If I didn't know her
She'd be the lady I didn't know.

And my lady, she went downtown
She bought some broccoli
She brought it home.

She's chopping broccoli
Chopping broccoli
Chopping broccoli
Chopping broccoli

She's chopping broccoli
She's chopping broccoli
She's chop.. ooh!
She's chopping broccola-ah-ie!

Now THAT's poetry.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

djm wrote:"Thyroid suppressant" sounds like one of those unfounded quasi-medical terms used by screwball religions like macroneurotics. I have not been able to find anything to support this allegation.

djm
It is true that cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower contain natural chemicals called goitrogens (goiter producers) that can interfere with thyroid hormone synthesis. Other foods that contain these chemicals include corn, sweet potatoes, lima beans, turnips, peanuts, cassava (YUCA), canola oil and soybeans. Fortunately, the goitrogens in these foods are inactivated by cooking, even by light steaming, so there is no need to forego the valuable antioxidant and cancer- protective effects cruciferous vegetables afford.

Caution: All cruciferous vegetables contain goitrin, thiocyanate, and isothiocyanate, which are collectively known as goitrogens. These chemicals inhibit the formation of thyroid hormones, causing the organ to enlarge in an effort to produce more of these hormones. This is not a hazardous situation for healthy people, but may pose a problem for those who have a thyroid condition or who are taking thyroid medication.

Love the word "macroneurotics"

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Monster

Post by Monster »

kkrell wrote:
djm wrote:"Thyroid suppressant" sounds like one of those unfounded quasi-medical terms used by screwball religions like macroneurotics. I have not been able to find anything to support this allegation.

djm
Caution: All cruciferous vegetables contain goitrin, thiocyanate, and isothiocyanate, which are collectively known as goitrogens. These chemicals inhibit the formation of thyroid hormones, causing the organ to enlarge in an effort to produce more of these hormones. This is not a hazardous situation for healthy people, but may pose a problem for those who have a thyroid condition or who are taking thyroid medication.

Love the word "macroneurotics"

Kevin Krell
I knew there had to be a good reason for cooking that crap!! That's why I (and Al Gore) invented fire!
insert uber smart comment here
djm

Post by djm »

Kevin, thanks for the clarification. From what I am seeing, this is only a "may be" concern, to whit:
A whole variety of naturally occurring agents have been identified that might be goitrogenic in man (67, 68 ). Most of these have only been tested in animals and/or have been shown to possess antithyroid effects in vitro.
The rest of the article is here: http://thyroidmanager.org/Chapter20/ch01s03.html

"Macroneurotics" - I get a lot of born-again vegetarians throwing bizarre proclamations at me. I get sick of having to reference everything they say to separate the spit from the chiff. The macrobitics folks seem to be really on the edge of sanity. They pour big bucks into buying expensive imported Japanese health foods, while babbling on about how important it is to only eat local foods. Yeah, right.

Thanks again,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.