DaVinci Code

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

Dale wrote:I don't think the idea that Jesus was married is outrageous. (I also don't think it's particularly important.) My understanding is that the best argument for Jesus being married is that being unmarried in those times would have been so very odd that it certainly would have been mentioned in the Gospels if Jesus was unmarried. At the same time, if he had been married, one might think that would have been noted at some point. Unless, we go the conspiracy theory route, which, hey, let's not.
The Jewish tradition is generally very strong on marriage and begetting. However exceptions are made for contemplatives and the fact that Jesus was referred to as Rabbi (note how Mary Magdalene refers to him after his resurrection when he taps her on the shoulder - see Bible) who was recognised as a wandering faith healer would attract such exception.

I have not read the book. I have difficulty understanding why people have a problem with non sexual spiritual intimacy.

BTW Dale, does the Bible state whether John the Baptist was married or not? What about all the disciples of Jesus. Do the Gospels you refer to ascertain each of their marital status?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

talasiga wrote:
BTW Dale, does the Bible state whether John the Baptist was married or not? What about all the disciples of Jesus. Do the Gospels you refer to ascertain each of their marital status?
Nope, and that's a good point.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Dale wrote:I don't think the idea that Jesus was married is outrageous.
Mrs. Jesus wrote:Where are you going? I hope you are not planning on spending the whole day with those rowdy friends of yours. You know the hut needs some new mud on the floor, and the goats need clipped. Am I supposed to do all this myself? And did you talk to my father about a job like I told you? No? Well, let me ask you this, Mister Love-thy-neighbor -- does that put food on the table? If my parents didn't drop off a basket of smoked fish and hard bread every week, we'd starve. You think that stuff just appears out of nowhere. And while we're on the subject, where were you last night -- come in stinking of stale wine and cheap frankincense -- you were with with that Mary Magdalene, weren't you? Don't think I don't know. What do you think everyone talks about at the well? Well then, fine. Just go. See if I care. But don't count on me being here when you get back, and don't be surprised if you find all your crap out in the yard. Maybe I'll just go see that Judas guy and do a little neighbor living myself.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

The New Testament only mentions Peter being married. That doesn't mean others weren't but that's the only one specificially mentioned. According to Matthew 8 Jesus healed Peter's mother in law.

1 Corinthians 9:5 implies other "apostles" are married. At least by the time of Paul's ministry.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I can remember working through the gospels (not so long ago, either) trying to untangle the Lazarus story.
The conclusion I came to was that Mary & Martha were Lazarus' sisters, and that Mary was liable to become a prostitute since the breadwinner had died. The reason behind Jesus' delay in coming to Lazarus' aid is mysterious, but could be explained by Jesus already having a relationship with Mary, and not wanting to seem too hasty or too partial, or playing favourites.
It also serves to explain the business washing his feet with her hair. The gospel that mentions it doesn't mention who the woman was, but it's an easy guess. Of course, this only really works if you are using the TV program method of analysis: it has to be someone in the script.

I was looking into it further when I found that it was apparently quite a common idea in the Middle Ages: so much so that the Church decided it had to come out strongly against it. I can't remember whether it was declared heretical or merely apochryphal, but at any rate it was officially put a stop to.

...There is also the idea (borne out by Muslim texts) that Jesus survived the crucifixion, went into (what is now) Afghanistan to escape the Roman Law, and continued teaching. Apparently there is a "Tomb of the Crucified Man" in Afghanistan, which dates to the right sort of time period. There was a book published not so long ago, called "the Muslim Jesus" (or something like that). I didn't get a copy. I'm sorry I didn't.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I finally got around to reading the book over the weekend. I enjoyed it for what it is, a good yarn.
He is not a very good writer but his plotting was clever enough to keep me entertained. The whole thing reminded me of Robert Ludlums standard setting in which an improbable guy teams up with an even more improbable girl, take on some all powerful mysterious organisation and having saved the world, ride off happily into the sunset. I won't be reading it a second time.

I am looking forward to the film mainly because part of it was filmed in Lincoln Cathedral which is not very far from where I live and a favourite place of mine. Magnificent building. On a sunny day the light shining through the huge stained glass windows produces the most beautiful effects imaginable. I have some nice pics taken there in my pre-digital camera days and if I can dig them out I'll scan them in and post them up later on today.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
djm

Post by djm »

Cberry wrote:people all over the world always seem to have such an immense interest in all things surrounding Jesus
Sorry, but I don't think the interest is in Jesus at all. What is generating the interest is the rumour of scandal and conspiracy to hide the truth by the RC church. When the RC church held control over all writing and learning they were able to mold the truth to whatever was convenient to them at the time. Because they have been such a factor in world politics for centuries (e.g. as recently as when the Vatican Bank was a major player in the Battle of the Falklands) and they have set themselves up as being the purveyors of all that is holy and truthful, they are a prime target for when anyone chooses to stand up and say, "A-ha! Cotchiz with yer knickers down!"

It is great for me to hear all the conspiracy supporters stand up and give their evidence, and then the experts weigh in and teach a bit of history, and then the conspiracy supporters reveal they don't really have a leg to stand on, that their stories are easily exposed as lies, half-truths and innuendo. But there's some really obscure information being revealed by the experts along the way. This stuff is really fascinating to me.

If you haven't read it, the Book of Q makes for some interesting reading on the early Jesus, as well. I am not standing by its teachings or anything, but it provides another other history that I find fascinating.

djm
Last edited by djm on Mon May 22, 2006 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

gonzo914 wrote:
Dale wrote:I don't think the idea that Jesus was married is outrageous.
Mrs. Jesus wrote:Where are you going? I hope you are not planning on spending the whole day with those rowdy friends of yours. You know the hut needs some new mud on the floor, and the goats need clipped. Am I supposed to do all this myself? And did you talk to my father about a job like I told you? No? Well, let me ask you this, Mister Love-thy-neighbor -- does that put food on the table? If my parents didn't drop off a basket of smoked fish and hard bread every week, we'd starve. You think that stuff just appears out of nowhere. And while we're on the subject, where were you last night -- come in stinking of stale wine and cheap frankincense -- you were with with that Mary Magdalene, weren't you? Don't think I don't know. What do you think everyone talks about at the well? Well then, fine. Just go. See if I care. But don't count on me being here when you get back, and don't be surprised if you find all your crap out in the yard. Maybe I'll just go see that Judas guy and do a little neighbor living myself.
:lol: :thumbsup:
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

The film critic for the Globe and Mail said two things that I thought summed the book up.

(paraphrased)
Sure to offend anyone who is a christian or who likes books.

... all about the search for the Holy Grail of a well-formed sentence.

I would go see it, but Tom Hanks' hair has turned me off, ewww.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

OnTheMoor wrote:I would go see it, but Tom Hanks' hair has turned me off, ewww.
I just figured it was part of his adopted personna as a Harvard Prof (i.e. super-nerd)

The actress (Tatou?) was pretty good - don't recall seeing anything of hers in the past but I would go to see her again.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
emmline

Post by emmline »

Chuck_Clark wrote:
OnTheMoor wrote:I would go see it, but Tom Hanks' hair has turned me off, ewww.
I just figured it was part of his adopted personna as a Harvard Prof (i.e. super-nerd)

The actress (Tatou?) was pretty good - don't recall seeing anything of hers in the past but I would go to see her again.
Audrey Tautou (TOE-too,) is in a cute French film called Amelie. You have to be able to tolerate subtitles and a certain amount of oddness, but it's one we liked.
djm

Post by djm »

I loved the film Amelie. She is cute in a "little girl" sort of way ... if you like that sort of thing ....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
Cberry wrote:people all over the world always seem to have such an immense interest in all things surrounding Jesus
Sorry, but I don't think the interest is in Jesus at all.

Exactly, it does not seem to be a fascination with Jesus. Most people aren't fascinated by Jesus, but by what they can use him for--money, social status, social outlets, a job. They have Jesus containerized into a tidy, inoffensive package that suits their needs just fine, and they're not much interested in exploring any further than the occasional speculative and self-absorbed "WWJD."

For many, it is exactly as djm said--a sort of perverse fascination with the Church. For many of those, this will overlap with their fascination with conspiracy theories, i.e., "the authorities are hiding things from us."

And then you've got the people who will just obsess about the conspiracy part of this. Six years ago it was Y2K--now it's this. If there's nothing good next year, it'll be Area 51 again. Or possibly Jimmy Hoffa. (Or crop circles, for those of you in distant climes.)

Jesus' role in this seems minimal to me. He's the wobbly table upon which the bloated premise of this story rests, but that's about it. Folks aren't going to see this because they're fascinated with Jesus.