Is commuting a good use of your time??

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How long, each way, is your daily commute?

0-15 minutes
32%
15-30 minutes
24%
30-45 minutes
18%
45-60 minutes
12%
60-90 minutes
12%
more than 90 minutes
3%

Total votes: 34

gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

Twelve minutes to work in the morning, including a stop for some McCoffee.

Unfortunately, there's also a 650 mile flight every Sunday to get from where I live to where I work.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Ann wrote:Then there are the frogs that race across the road whenever the weather turns wet and rainy, I dislike driving over them (another understatement).
Davis, California - Frog Tunnel - An interesting item along I-80 is the frog tunnel. The city built a tunnel under Pole Line Rd and 5th street between the post office and an empty field on the other side of the road expressly so frogs could cross the road safely. [Lane, 01/30/2000]
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

15 minutes if I drive.

When my car was in the shop I had to take the bus - 1 hour. When I drive I can drive straight to where I need to go. If I take the bus, then I have to wait for it, take the bus downtown, and transfer, and that takes way too long for me. Besides, most of the people who ride the bus in this town are people who can't drive, mainly due to mental disabilities or drugs. I used to overhear them talking about how this was their day to report for treatment. There must be a few normal people who ride the bus, but they seem to be outnumbered. And it costs $1 each way - I don't think I use $2 worth of gas a day - I drive an old vehicle but I think I get better milage than that!

It's 5 miles one way, and at the age of 51 I'm not about to either ride my bike or walk there and then stand on my feet for 8 hours and walk home.
Charlene
Ann

Post by Ann »

Davis, California - Frog Tunnel - An interesting item along I-80 is the frog tunnel. The city built a tunnel under Pole Line Rd and 5th street between the post office and an empty field on the other side of the road expressly so frogs could cross the road safely. [Lane, 01/30/2000]
[/quote]

Very cool. The story says that the frogs ignore it though because it wasn't put a few feet from the correct spot. :( We'd need tunnels up and down the entire stretch of rt. 37.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Eddie -- why don't you run on out to R. 37 and see if we can't mebbe fix ourselves up some gumbo tonight.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I commuted 90 minutes each way for a number of years. It was a job I was extremely interested in and an unusual opportunity. To move would have meant a commute for my husband who had to work long hours and do work-related things on many evenings. I listened to NPR. I tried language tapes, and various things, but I couldn't concentrate. I didn't hate the time in the car, but I had no time to do anything else. Up at 5:30, got home at 6:30, bed at 9:30, in between dinner, next day's lunch, shower, that was pretty much it. Cutting down on sleep made me have trouble staying awake on the drive and being intelligent at work, so I had to make really strict rules about that. Everything had to be so regimented, there was no slack time. The driving was a total waste of time. Three hours of a day in which nothing of value or interest could be done. I suppose if some great opportunity to learn something came up I might do it again, but I sure would rather not. It sort of wore me down.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Ann

Post by Ann »

gonzo914 wrote:Eddie -- why don't you run on out to R. 37 and see if we can't mebbe fix ourselves up some gumbo tonight.
Sounds yummy, we could even have chocolate covered grasshoppers for dessert.

http://www.candydirect.com/specialty/Ch ... sects.html