Explain your avatar.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

Mine is a picture of me -- I really am a 12-ft tall, wood praying mantis. But on the internet, no-one can tell.

More here.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Mine is a French bulldog. We had some quiz here to determine what sort of dog personality we had. I came out "French bulldog". I forget why.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Hunter S. Thompson.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Paddy Kavanagh bench,

Grand Canal,

Dublin.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Me and my granddaughter, Maggie, "playing" whistles. She's actually holding an old plastic recorder, upside down. After about 30 seconds she was on to some other interesting game like sitting upside down on the couch.
Mike
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Mine is fairly self-explanatory.

I remember that General George A. Custer made a personal flag for himself.
Not that I am a fan of his, but it set me wondering what type of flag I would design. Disliking how complex the Minnesota flag is, I thought a tri colored flag would be best, much like Germany, France, and Belgium. These flags are beautifully simplistic and recognizable from a distance for who they represent. So I was trying to think of a simplistic design

It seems though that many things have been polarized to being black and white these days and that seems to be on the surface of most debates, so I decided to include those colors on the top. Mean while there seems to be a middle ground that is not explored. Most people would refer to this as a gray area, but this would only allow for a one-dimensional process of finding the appropriate midpoint to old black and white debates. So I figured that the third corner should be a color to represent something outside of the shades of gray and below the black and white top to show that the color is deeper and not superficial.

But which color? I figured that it should be one of the additive primary colors. Blue seemed to be too calm of a color to represent the often disruptive thought process that it would be representing and green seemed too close to camouflage that some animals use. Red seemed like the bold forward color that should represent the third side.

The blending was used to represent that this was not just an either or situation and that many shades of black white and red must coexist.

Its either that or an attempt at abstract art representing a crow and a dove flying out of fire much like the phoenix.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:Mine is fairly self-explanatory.

Well, I had no clue until you spelled it out for me! :lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:Paddy Kavanagh bench,

Grand Canal,

Dublin.

Slan,
D.
Well, at least yours isn't the Tart with the Cart :lol:

Mine is Miss Scarlett, just because I've heard tell that I tend to act like her a bit :P But mostly it's because I like the hat.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
rh

Post by rh »

Shen Nong, The Divine Farmer, patron deity of Chinese herbalists.
there is no end to the walking
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Mine's an abstraction of a scene in the Simpson desert. The colours are all the same but the wrinkles in the sand are gone. The typography is a meld of the moon, bones and a type of pure-white barked tree that grow's near there. The bones/tree thing also aludes to tradition and roots. The moon is also a fruit. Stillness, simplicity, joy, mystery, timelessness.

ImageImageImageImage
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

ID.10-t's avatar puts me in mind of that Soviet Abstract: "The Red Wedge".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Lissitzky
And I've seen a few Anarchist flags which are black and red, so it makes me think: "He's an Anarchist... on the point of surrendering."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Mine is a hawk (red-tailed, I think) that was in my back yard last spring. My old one, and one that I think I'll start using again soon, is Catbus with Mai and Satsuki, from the Miyazaki movie "My neighbor Totoro," one of the best movies ever made.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Self-explanatory. . .

I've been in stripes since the early days of the public internet, not as an expression of personality (much) but rather as a token of my commitment to save the Great Cats from extinction.

Its probably one of the oldest avatars on the board, as I have never changed it.

Sincerely,
Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

dubhlinn wrote:Paddy Kavanagh bench,

Grand Canal,

Dublin.

Slan,
D.
I'm going to Dublin for the first time next month and I want a picture of me sitting next to him. Is that allowed?
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I like cows.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.