JFK assassination

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

I was almost 9 (I'm 50, my birthday is in January). We were living in Michigan then at Selfridge Air Force Base just outside of Detroit. My mother was all upset when I got home from school. She didn't usually watch TV in the middle of the day, but she was recovering from surgery so she was watching the parade and saw the shooting.

What I remember most about the following few days was, as someone else mentioned, all my favorite TV shows were pre-empted (on all 3 networks and even the Canadian station we could pick up!) No cable TV, no Internet, too cold to play outside, so I had to read (not a hardship :D )or play games inside (which was harder, since being an only child I had to either have my friends over, which I couldn't do because the noise upset my mother while she was recuperating, or go to their house, which upset my mother because she couldn't watch me every second, or play board games with my parents.)
Charlene
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

I was sitting in 8th grade shop class at Jefferson Davis Junior High School in North Little Rock, Arkansas. I remember the North Little Rock city commission met in emergency session to rename a stretch of main drag John F. Kennedy Blvd. They had to move fast because there was an agreement between North Little Rock and Little Rock not to duplicate street names, and NLR wanted to go first and call dibs.

I wish I could say I stayed glued to the television set for the next three days, but I was outside doing whatever the hell eighth grade boys do when in a group with no direction -- and enjoying the three days off from school. So I missed the live action l.H. Oswald shooting.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

JFK wasn't shot, he now runs a chip shop near me with his business partners, Elvis and Lord Lucan.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I was angered afterward that Captain Kangaroo was preempted for the funeral procession.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Flyingcursor wrote:I was angered afterward that Captain Kangaroo was preempted for the funeral procession.
Me too. As I mentioned, I was home convalescing from an appendectomy so I couldn't go anywhere or do anything and all that was on the stupid TV was shots of the coffin and commentators and then the funeral. I was embarrassed to have felt that way (still am), but I guess I can be forgiven for acting like a kid when I was just a kid.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi