As God is my witness, I did not know peacocks could fly . .

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

lilymaid wrote:I had a traumatic experience being chased by a peacock as a child. I tended to be chased by angry poultry a lot, as a child, somehow.
I was chased by a swan when I was around five. Why it picked me out of a crowd is anybody's guess; I was not among those hearest to it. Hated the b*st*rds for years because of that, but I'm over it now.

I still would like to try swanburger. Too bad it's endangered.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Nanohedron wrote:among those hearest
Yea, verily.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, nearest. :lol:
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: lawsuits

Post by scottielvr »

WhistlinBob wrote:...we have more lawyers in this town than most other metro areas.and the main reason that judges don't put a stop to this problem is they don't want to, remember they were lawyers before
they became judges!and don't ask a politician for help in this area most of them were lawyers too.remember that this this group is why most can't afford to pay for insurance medical or other wise I dispise lawyers I putthem in the same category as used car salesman and realtors. :devil:
I’m in a devil’s advocate frame of mind today; so I'll put on my Nomex suit and in the interest of fairness and dislike of sweeping generalizations, set about the challenging and quixotic task of sticking up for the least-popular group on the planet.

First, lawyers don’t file lawsuits; plaintiffs do. The suit doesn't begin in a vacuum; it begins with an aggrieved party looking to sue someone. Lawyers carry an ethical responsibility to not file frivolous suits, and the court system has procedures to punish those plaintiffs and lawyers who do so anyway. The great majority of "wacky" cases similar to this one are dismissed at the very first court hearing, or settled for a (relatively) minuscule amount as “nuisance value.” The media don’t find such dismissals or settlements as titillating as the splashy or amusing stories when the suit is filed, so when it later dies a quiet death at the hands of an irritated judge, that’s seldom reported.

Of course, cases that may seem frivolous (such as this peacock case) do come to trial; however, there may well be some legal merit to the plaintiff’s claims, absurd monetary damage claims notwithstanding. Also, keep in mind that while lawyers will indeed argue vigorously for large damage awards, and in most personal injury cases lawyers’ compensation is tied to the size of the award, ultimately the decision to award damages is made by jurors, not lawyers. Further, excessively large jury awards are frequently reduced by judges after the verdict—another thing the media seldom find interesting enough to report.

This is not to say that there aren’t serious problems with the American tort system; but while it’s easy and popular to bash lawyers, not all of the problems are caused by them. Many persons make a kind of “career” out of filing lawsuits; many persons believe that for every perceived wrong, someone (else) must pay; and juries are often swayed by emotional appeals to set aside common sense. And then there are the insurance companies ...I’ll not even go there.

--And no, I’m not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. :wink:
missy

Post by missy »

scottielvr, I'll agree with all you wrote but this:
"First, lawyers don’t file lawsuits; plaintiffs do. The suit doesn't begin in a vacuum; it begins with an aggrieved party looking to sue someone"

Tom was in a car accident the last week of May. Thoughout the month of June we received, on average, 10 phone calls and one or two mailings each day from lawyers wanting to know if he was "ok", etc. He was ok, the other driver's insurance took care of fixing our car and the rental during that time. But even if we HAD needed the help of a lawyer, I certainly wouldn't use one that called us up by "ambulance chasing".
However, they must get business this way, or they wouldn't have bothered calling. The calls and mailing have finally stopped.
While, technically, yes - the lawsuit would have been started by "us" - it was being "prompted" by lawyers.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

nano wrote:I was chased by a swan when I was around five.
Well, I guess that explains it then. :lol:
Last edited by Cynth on Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: lawsuits

Post by Wanderer »

scottielvr wrote: First, lawyers don’t file lawsuits; plaintiffs do.
Except that in many cases, the plaitiffs ARE lawyers..

check this out :)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... rss_nation
LOS ANGELES, June 24 -- Federal prosecutors here have charged a retired Palm Springs, Calif., lawyer with taking kickbacks from a prominent New York law firm in exchange for serving as plaintiff in dozens of class-action and shareholder lawsuits that earned the firm $44 million over 20 years.
Lawsuits are an industry..
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

A neighbor friend had quiet a number of peafowl for many years. They just wandered all over his farm and yard, mingling with the dogs and the livestock. I never heard of them attacking anyone or causing trouble(other than the traffic that would slow down if a peacock was strutting his stuff).

They were awfully loud though.

I remember reading that they are the "watchdogs" of domestic farm birds and other species seem to rely on them to warn them of danger.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:
nano wrote:I was chased by a swan when I was around five.
Well, I guess that explains it then. :lol:
It was probably his socks.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Ohhhhh noooo, I never thought of that. :o :boggle:
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

cowtime wrote: I never heard of them attacking anyone or causing trouble(other than the traffic that would slow down if a peacock was strutting his stuff).
That's what they want you to think. Given half a chance those peacocks would kill an entire family.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Flyingcursor wrote:
cowtime wrote: I never heard of them attacking anyone or causing trouble(other than the traffic that would slow down if a peacock was strutting his stuff).
That's what they want you to think. Given half a chance those peacocks would kill an entire family.
... hmmmm, could this be the origin of the term 'yardbird'? :D
djm

Post by djm »

Mind you, moose bites can be pretty nasty ... oops! Sorry, wrong thread. :oops:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:Mind you, moose bites can be pretty nasty ... oops! Sorry, wrong thread. :oops:

djm
Aww, take off, eh. :P
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

When my wife and I were married we went to Cancun on our honeymoon. Every night when we'd come back to our 2nd floor resort bungalow, there'd be a peacock perched up on our balcony. I diddn't know they could fly either, but I was sure wrong!
I'll try and post pictures later.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown