Scatological...and sometimes salacious

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

susnfx wrote:It's one thing to say the forums are for adults, but there's a lot more to this site than just the forums and it's a shame to have it blocked for kids who'd like to learn about the whistle.)

Susan
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

What's fascinating to me is the trend away from the written word and the intrinsic power of language to evoke and inspire imagination, and the surge towards the use of graphics in its place.

In my childhood, the book and the radio drama were the staples of our imagination. We'd go out and play "Ivanhoe", "The Famous Five", and countless other games based around worlds that words, written and spoken, had conjured in our minds. It was only much later, when my folks could afford TV, that my brother and I played "The Man From UNCLE" (he always got to be Napoleon Solo, which meant he always got to rescue the girl next door while I kept watch for baddies).

I never cease to be amazed by the works of Dickens, and his ability to describe incredible detail with the shortest of sentences, simply by selecting 'the right words'. On reflection now, I can't recall him ever using an expletive, and yet some of his characters were among the worst that might be scraped from a London gutter. He didn't need to, I guess.

But today, it seems, no-one has the time for books. Radio plays are passe. Video is king, and video games are The Way. There's something rather frightening about millions of teenagers bathed in an eery blue light in an otherwise darkened room, hunched in front of computer screens wreaking 3D carnage on realistically-rendered "enemies".

I wonder if language, or more specifically vocabulary, and imagination are indeed linked? And which comes first?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Your avatars MOVE? :o I never knew. I thought some seemed odd, now I know why. It must be some kind of blocker thingy here at work just lets me see a still image. :sniffle:
Waitaminnit! Am I the only one with a non-moving avatar? I'm so embarrassed. :oops: I bet you've all been having a good laugh at me and my avatarial stillness haven't you. :x I bet you all....
Er, do these emoticon doodads move too? I gotta get my home PC fixed. I think I'll go lie down in a darkened room (one that doesn't move).
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

GaryKelly wrote:bathed in an eery blue light in an otherwise darkened room, hunched in front of computer screens
You have a camera in my house, don't you!!!!!!! :boggle:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

GaryKelly wrote:What's fascinating to me is the trend away from the written word and the intrinsic power of language to evoke and inspire imagination, and the surge towards the use of graphics in its place.
Yet another reason my wife & I limit the amount of TV our kids watch. IMHO, reading books will fire the imagination far more than having it all pushed at your eyes and ears from a TV screen.

Cheers,
David

P.S.
jbarter wrote:Your avatars MOVE? :o I never knew. I thought some seemed odd, now I know why. It must be some kind of blocker thingy here at work just lets me see a still image. :sniffle:
Waitaminnit! Am I the only one with a non-moving avatar?
It would be pretty cool if your avatar did have motion, John. Perhaps a loop of a double-step. Too bad the jingle of the bell pads couldn't be added as well :-)
What club do you dance with (or "team" as we say over here)?
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I'm about to write something that may get me banned permanently:

RECORDER! :twisted: :P :o :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Gary, I remember reading in Mark Twain's autobiography about his respect for and amazement at his mother who could rise up in indignation at poor treatment of the downtrodden (people and animals) and chastize an offender, making them apologize and grovel, all without ever raising her voice or using a word of profanity.

We really have lost or are losing our ability to express ourselves intelligently.

Susan
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

susnfx wrote:
We really have lost or are losing our ability to express ourselves intelligently.

Susan
Took the words right out of my mouth again! It's like living with my wife, Susan . . . soon I won't need to say anything. :D

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Will O'B wrote:
susnfx wrote:It's one thing to say the forums are for adults, but there's a lot more to this site than just the forums and it's a shame to have it blocked for kids who'd like to learn about the whistle.)
Took the words right out of my mouth.
I'd agree with this, except for the fact that chiffboard.mati.ca and chiffandfipple.com are
very different URLs, and blockers really wouldn't confuse the two. The board may be
blocked, but that should not block the main site.

On a more (off-)topical note,
I've always wondered why we are so upset by swearing. Most of the original meanings
that made the words taboo have been lost over time (unless you are specifically referring
to excrement or a sexual act). Some folks say that it is unChristian-like to cuss, but the
only words with any religious connotation are "Damn" or "Hell", and many people
consider these the mildest of curse words. (My wife finds it funny that, when a song is
censored for radio, and it contains the word "G-ddamn", they will usually bleep out the
"G-d" and leave in the "damn".)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

BrassBlower wrote:I'm about to write something that may get me banned permanently:

RECORDER! :twisted: :P :o :lol:
MY EYES!!! Brass, edit that IMMEDIATELY!!!! I'm shocked and angry (which is better than shocked and awed anytime :wink: )

:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'll just interject here (mainly because it's in my nature to sound off for no better reason than to hear myself talk, if you don't mind me putting it that way) that in the 3D, I frequently swear like a stevedore, and can be REALLY offensive if the mood strikes me. Why, then, am I put off by unmodified vulgarities here? I suppose it has to do with what I see as an overall tendency among board members to communicate either creatively, thoughtfully, wittily, earnestly, or intelligently, with such attributes singly or in combination, each according to his or her way, and with a general reasonableness that strikes me as wonderful each time I read discussions here. It's the sort of result that's simply better than just a cut above the rabble. This perception of mine makes the occasional baldfaced profanity just seem unworthy of the board and of us all, period.

Thank you. I'll sod off, now.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote: It's the sort of result that's simply better than just a cut above the rabble. This perception of mine makes the occasional baldfaced profanity just seem unworthy of the board and of us all, period.

Thank you. I'll sod off, now.
You sod off with my compliments Nano. You're very smart, even if there is an air of limburger about you. :wink:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Ah, now, see that's interesting...

When I was a boy, I once told my brother he was a 'stupid sod' and received a mighty thick ear from my father (much to my brother's amusement). It wasn't until later, when I consulted the Wise Ones in the school playground, I discovered that 'sod' was a Very Rude Word Indeed, referring as it did to either a) an illegal (at the time) sexual practice (as in 'sod off') or b) one who practiced such illegal sexual acts (as in 'you sod').

Attempting to reassure my father later that I had been referring to a clump of grassy earth fell on deaf ears and merely earned me a gentle clout on the back of the head for telling lies.

Yet today, 'sod' would appear to be practically benign, and indeed I believe that sodomy is no longer unlawful between consenting adults in the UK.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

GaryKelly wrote:I discovered that 'sod' was a Very Rude Word Indeed, referring as it did to either a) an illegal (at the time) sexual practice (as in 'sod off') or b) one who practiced such illegal sexual acts (as in 'you sod').
GARY! Now I am NEVER going to be able to rough house on our front lawn ever again. I'll feel just sooooo dirty afterwards. :boggle:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
emmline

Post by emmline »

GaryKelly wrote: Yet today, 'sod' would appear to be practically benign
as are many other formerly naughty words. yep. One must consider chronology and context. I still think Nano's point is a valid one...but your point is exactly why I personally don't cringe too much at the scattered profanity here.

I do think if common, vernacular crudity were the norm here, the overall iq of this forum would seem substantially lower, and I, who am both attracted to and intimidated by the intelligence here would lose interest.