Cursing/Swearing without really Cursing/Swearing

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

The lyrics of West Side Story might be a good place to look for Cursing/Swearing without really Cursing/Swearing.
Reasonable person
Walden
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i've got a dvd by billy connolly, in glasgow apparently they say (like when you stub your foot hard):
JESUS SUFFERING f

U

C

K
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

When something went wrong, my ex-husband would exclaim "Son of a horse-thieving snake driver!"
~JessieD
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

dlovrien wrote:I understand that instead of "Go jump in the lake" or "Go fly a kite" the French say "Go cook yourself an egg." No of them make any sense.
Correct. Though there's a French alternative: "Go get seen by the Greeks". Nothing to do with the modern Games, more with antique morals.

And Russians send you "to the sauna".
A common euphemism they use now is punctuating with "Blin" (pancake) instead of Bl**' (Magdalena's colleague)

Phonetically close to it, a British friend of mine uses a one-does-it-all euphemism, so the kids don't hear bad words: "bleep" (bleepin', etc.).

In Tunisia, some still send you "to Tataouine". Used to be the Foreign Legion disciplinary (ball and chain) camp, which makes it understandable.
Musical_Midnight

Post by Musical_Midnight »

One that my parents have used: "Schwartz!"
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday....Was it worth it?
----------
Music is the traveller crossing our world, reaching so many people, bridging the seas.
---The Moody Blues
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

In Tunisia, some still send you "to Tataouine". Used to be the Foreign Legion disciplinary (ball and chain) camp, which makes it understandable.
I bet that's where George Lucas got the planet name from.

My wife and I have always made it a point to not cuss in front of the kids. We both figured it's a bad habit to develop as it reflects ill on the cusser (as does gossiping). I have to admit, every now and again, I'll hear of someone's behavior that's so outrageous and repulsive to me, that a polite remark seems evasive and irrelevant. Then, calling someone by an anatomical reference of the alimentary class seems the only appropriate response.

As a rule, at our house, we opt for comedy: exagerated facial expressions, eyes rolling back in the head, with sound effects like the shuddering exhalation of breath, ala Simpsons, or comicbook style snarls and roars. It diffuses/defuses bad moods at the same time.

Oh! And how could I forget??? When my mom would get really to the end of her rope with us, she's say, with total sincerity (and vehemence), "God, grant me patience!" I like to use that one now and then.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

TonyHiggins wrote:"God, grant me patience!" I like to use that one now and then.
Tony
I always added to it, and grant it to me NOW!
jenaceae

Post by jenaceae »

When my uptight grandfather would get super super mad he would exclaim vehemently : "HELL'S BELLS AND PATHER'S PAWS!!!"

I dunno 'bout you, but that just doesn't do it for me....

J
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

My Grandfather could put more feeling into the words "jumpin' sweet stink" than any amount of expletives. If you got in his way you could expect to hear "Get from under mi maulin' splutherin' feet"
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
TerryB

Post by TerryB »

dlovrien wrote:

I understand that instead of "Go jump in the lake" or "Go fly a kite" the French say "Go cook yourself an egg." No of them make any sense.

In southern Brazil, they have a couple of good equivalents if someone is getting on your nerves:

Go brush the monkey.

Or

Go look in the corner and see if I'm there.

Terry
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Go beat a bodhran
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

"Gordon Bennett" was one of my dad's favourites, along with "Shave off."

These days I am fond of "Stoat off, weasel."

Although it must be said that "bollocks" is a jolly good epithet which fulfills many a need.

A sad but true tale: Whilst shopping in the local supermarket over the weekend I heard a young mother scream at her mewling offspring (who was perhaps 4 years old and was shrill in his demands for sweets) "Adonis, will you shut the f*ck up!"

At first I pondered the state of our nation and the general collapse of standards I've witnessed over the past four decades.

Then I simply stared agog at the mind-numbing surreality of a Swindon slapper barely in her twenties naming her kid "Adonis". Perhaps the after-effects of a Club 18-30 package holiday in the Greek Islands... who knows...
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

GaryKelly wrote:Although it must be said that "bollocks" is a jolly good epithet which fulfills many a need.
That's what I'm trying to use as my catch-all now that I have a 3-year old who's becoming pretty good at repeating things she's heard once. I picked it up from the great Diana Trent.

I'm surprised nobody's cited "tartar sauce," the multipurpose interjection from Spongebob.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

GaryKelly wrote:
A sad but true tale: Whilst shopping in the local supermarket over the weekend I heard a young mother scream at her mewling offspring (who was perhaps 4 years old and was shrill in his demands for sweets) "Adonis, will you shut the f*ck up!"
That's just stupid. I mean, first off, she named the kid <i>Adonis</i>. How can she expect him to be anything but spoiled? I sure as heck hope that kid grows up to be really good looking or he's going to get picked on something fierce...
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Good looking? With a name like ADONIS?! He'd better be the biggest, toughest, meanest kind on the playground or he'll get his a$$ kicked every day. Children can be such vicious little sh!ts.