Bush: Intelligent Design Should Be Taught

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

Tyler Morris wrote:It seems to me that there is a 12/8 signature...very similar to the obscure 6/4 and the 3/2 signatures :D (arent fractions fun?)
See, all of this time I've been treating 12/8 as a triple time version of 4/4 :P
If you go back a read a slide in 12/8 (I know, its a cardinal sin in ITM to actually READ a tune from a page :roll: ) as a 6/4 tune, you get an entirely different feel. Try playing some Turkish/Greek/Anatolian music. There you can get 9/8 as a bar of 3/4, with a 3/8 stretch beat on the end.
Completely off-topic, but I thought a tangetial strike would break the tension...
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

Tyler Morris wrote:[(arent fractions fun?)
OK, not a fraction, but in the words of Yogi Berra.

"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

dwinterfield wrote:Edging back to the original topic, I heard an interview with Rep. Senator Rick Santorum (PA) this morning on NPR. The interviewer asked him about Bush's comment that Intelligent Design should be taught along side Evolution. Surprisingly, Santorum disagreed or at least I think he did. He said that Intelligent Design should not be taught in science class, as it was not sufficiently developed to be offered to students as science.
Hmm... I guess that serves to illustrate the fundamentalist movement is not the throbbing Borg-like, culture consuming, single-minded entity I had imagined.

It's unfortunate I can't hear his name without giggling.

Then again, one could interpret that comment as meaning he doesn't think it should be taught in science class *yet* - not while it's such obvious malarkey, and that it ought to be made slicker and more scientific looking ("sufficiently developed?" What does that mean? Is it possible to "develop" a ridiculous idea until it becomes a reasonable scientific permise?)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:Hmm... I guess that serves to illustrate the fundamentalist movement is not the throbbing Borg-like, culture consuming, single-minded entity I had imagined.
It amazes me how narrow-minded so many people who consider themselves open-minded can be.
Denny

Post by Denny »

dwinterfield wrote:Edging back to the original topic, I heard an interview with Rep. Senator Rick Santorum (PA) this morning on NPR. The interviewer asked him about Bush's comment that Intelligent Design should be taught along side Evolution. Surprisingly, Santorum disagreed or at least I think he did. He said that Intelligent Design should not be taught in science class, as it was not sufficiently developed to be offered to students as science.
set up for a goverment grant to spiff it up a bit?
fiddleronvermouth

susnfx wrote:
fiddleronvermouth wrote:Hmm... I guess that serves to illustrate the fundamentalist movement is not the throbbing Borg-like, culture consuming, single-minded entity I had imagined.
It amazes me how narrow-minded so many people who consider themselves open-minded can be.
It amazes me how so many people can fail to detect self-depracating comic irony in intentionally exaggerated comments.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

It amazes and saddens me that I can't detect it unless you put the winky face. :(

Susan
fiddleronvermouth

susnfx wrote:It amazes and saddens me that I can't detect it unless you put the winky face. :(

Susan
:wink:

et voila. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
energy

Post by energy »

Bloomfield wrote: Mixing these two forms of discourse is the fundamental silliness of wanting to teach I.D. in science class, and it is why people worry that it will make the teaching of science impossible.
If we study history we discover that science seemed to do quite well under such circumstances.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

daveboling wrote: There you can get 9/8 as a bar of 3/4, with a 3/8 stretch beat on the end.
Completely off-topic, but I thought a tangetial strike would break the tension...
On yet another side note, an example of this form of 9/8 can be heard in Blue Rondo a la Turk by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Thought I'd share.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Just to say hi, Congratulations, and mention that I feel like I'm being spammed every time I see your nick. :lol:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

bend wrote:If we study history we discover that science seemed to do quite well under such circumstances.
I think many scientists would have said "in spite of". I doubt Galileo felt science was doing too well during his time.
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Bloomfield wrote: blah blah blah...

...Mixing these two forms of discourse is the fundamental silliness of wanting to teach I.D. in science class, and it is why people worry that it will make the teaching of science impossible.
I read your whole post. I won't argue with you because I agree with you. I probably misrepresented myself.

oops.

Anyway, I agree with all that stuff you said.
Everyone likes music
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Bible courses are taught in 312 public school districts in 37 states.
  • Bible Course Becomes a Test for Public Schools in Texas

By RALPH BLUMENTHAL and BARBARA NOVOVITCH
    Published: August 1, 2005
    HOUSTON, July 31

The National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools says its course "is concerned with education rather than indoctrination of students."

"As many as 52 Texas public school districts and 1,000 high schools across the country are using an aggressively marketed, blatantly sectarian Bible curriculum..."

"The distinction is between teaching the Bible and teaching about the Bible - it has to be taught academically, not devotionally."

"The central approach of the class is simply to study the Bible as a foundation document of society, and that approach is altogether appropriate in a comprehensive program of secular education," -New York Times
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

High schools in Utah used to give credit for taking an LDS seminary class (in buildings close to the schools but not on school grounds) during all four years of high school. A few years after I graduated they stopped giving credit for it. You can still take a seminary class during the school day (and many, if not most, LDS kids do), but receive no credit for it.

Susan