Polluting/spamming the forums

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Denny wrote:would be a downside to becoming an advanced person! It becomes harder to find people signifgantly more advanced to mentor you.
You know, I hadn't noticed that there really was a bright side to being bad! :lol:
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cynth wrote:
Denny wrote:would be a downside to becoming an advanced person! It becomes harder to find people signifgantly more advanced to mentor you.
You know, I hadn't noticed that there really was a bright side to being bad! :lol:
How better to notice that there *is* a bright side, than to inhabit the dim one? :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cynth wrote:
Nor I! :D
Denny

Post by Denny »

anniemcu wrote:How better to notice that there *is* a bright side, than to inhabit the dim one? :lol:
Do ya really think the bad ones can tell the difference?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Cynth wrote:I think the original post was refering to The Pub, but the word "forums" was used and references to instruments and practicing were made.
No, it had even less focus than that. We got a list of places you can hear ITM if you don't have a record collection. What's that got to do with the Pub? (And while you're at it, why not a list of kwela records?) Also there was a reference to how much better it was 3 years ago. There was no pub three years ago.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: Wombat, think of this thread like this place.
ImageUnless your father has appeared to you in a dream and told you to meet him down there, I would RUN!!!!
Alan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Just a couple of comments.

For some time I had been using the 'View posts since last visit' link, viewing all the posts displayed together, which gave the impression that the Pub, being such a hotbed of activity, dominated the boards. While the Pub might be the main interest for many members it is not for me so I went back to viewing each forum individually and find myself far less vexed.

I don't ignore the Pub but give it a look on each of my frequent visits. It is rather like traveling along a road with numerous billboards advertising a bewildering array of 'products' the vast majority of which don't appeal to me but on occasion one interests me enough to venture in.

For the most part I find my compulsion to be frivolous and to pun, best served on the hapless denizens of the chatroom to the elicitation of much groaning and eye rolling which doth make me mighty merry... oops, sorry... I have been reading the Diary of Samuel Pepys online.

Guess that's it for now... carry on!
Alan
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Alan wrote:Just a couple of comments.

For some time I had been using the 'View posts since last visit' link, viewing all the posts displayed together, which gave the impression that the Pub, being such a hotbed of activity, dominated the boards. While the Pub might be the main interest for many members it is not for me so I went back to viewing each forum individually and find myself far less vexed.
That's a valuable perspective. I myself just looked at the whistle forum. THe one listed at the BOTTOM of the page was created on August 24. Today is August 28. Not bad.
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Yowza. What a heck of a thread.

Do I play an instrument? Yes, several. And I've been playing one instrument or another since the age of nine (I'm soon to be 34). I *am* a musician. Am I proficient enough on flute or whistle to contribute brilliant posts on topics of whistles and flutes, or on the depths of ITM? No-- I'd much rather leave that to those who are.

But, I do have to say that I have developed a fondness for many people here, and like to keep up on their lives and interests. I love the humor (or humour, even) on the board... the wittiness... the intelligence... the friendliness of those who post here. Do I like political discussions? No, so I skip them. :)

My postings have dropped dramatically over the last few months because, frankly, I have no time to spend here on the board. It makes me sad because I miss being here. Perhaps for some of you it is a relief to not have to deal with an excess of fluff, smilies, and avatar-changings! ;) But, as with everything in life, there are ebbs and flows. There will hopefully be a time when I can hang out a bit more... right now, it's not that time. There may be a time, at some point, where there are less random postings... right now, perhaps it's not. Ebb and flow, ebb and flow. This is The Way of Things.

Life is short, peeps. Just enjoy each other-- differences and all. You never know what you may get from someone, when you least expect it, in a manner least expected.

The Chiff board is a great place, perceived flaws and all.

My best to all,
~Ad/Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

(Alan, that's ten posts in just a couple of weeks for you. I think you're completely out of control!)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

ennyn wrote:My postings have dropped dramatically over the last few months because, frankly, I have no time to spend here on the board. It makes me sad because I miss being here. Perhaps for some of you it is a relief to not have to deal with an excess of fluff, smilies, and avatar-changings! ;)
As I'm sure you well know, my LLT, I am very sad as well that you haven't been here as much. I'm not even as inspired to change my avatar nearly as much :( But I know that eventually you'll make it back here. I'm glad that you are posting today! :) It's good to see you! Have a drink on me, ok? We'll toast to the "good old days"

:party:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Walden wrote:Personally, I have no problem with folks posting off topic or on topic, political, religious, or otherwise. It is the hostile threads that I find tiring. Threads started because of evil this person or that person. Threads about evil presidents or evil states. Threads about evil Muslims or evil Christians. I mean, fine, express yourself, but there is an awful lot of hostility being vented. Maybe get some counseling... something. I just can't see that posting thread after thread after thread of how awful those who don't agree with our own philosophy are, will do anything but make matters worse.
Fair comment mate. One disappointing thing about "the pub," as with any pub when I come to think of it, is that it's still very difficult for me as a militant atheist leftie to say what I really think about an awful lot of things that come up here that make me want to produce an instant pavement pizza. I just instinctively don't want to offend the establishment religious or political right. Received wisdom rules OK. The easiest thing is to just butt out of the threads. I'm still an exceptionally human being! This just isn't the place though.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

SteveShaw wrote:I'm still an exceptionally human being!
Steve, I just don't understand what you are saying right here. I think you are an exceptional human being :) . But as far as being an exceptionally human being, I just can't quite get it.

It is true that a person can get into a big mess by expressing an opinion. I think one does have to decide when it is worth the time and mental anguish, and when it isn't. Naturally, others are going to disagree and one does have to support what one says----or at least I think so. That way you aren't just saying something is wrong, you are showing there is some thought behind it. I think it is probably true that you can't just say something and have everyone go "Thank you for sharing with us." and be able to walk away :lol: . Someone is always going to see it a different way. I think it is possible to conduct a debate or disagreement in a pretty civilized way---although things can fall apart. And it is also possible to conclude that the discussion is not going anywhere and just say that and leave. If both parties have put forth their points and it is clear there is going to be no meeting ground, then you can just agree to disagree. There are a number of issues though where one can't be a moral person and take this stance and that is when it gets difficult I guess.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Cynth wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:I'm still an exceptionally human being!
Steve, I just don't understand what you are saying right here. I think you are an exceptional human being :) . But as far as being an exceptionally human being, I just can't quite get it.

It is true that a person can get into a big mess by expressing an opinion. I think one does have to decide when it is worth the time and mental anguish, and when it isn't. Naturally, others are going to disagree and one does have to support what one says----or at least I think so. That way you aren't just saying something is wrong, you are showing there is some thought behind it. I think it is probably true that you can't just say something and have everyone go "Thank you for sharing with us." and be able to walk away :lol: . Someone is always going to see it a different way. I think it is possible to conduct a debate or disagreement in a pretty civilized way---although things can fall apart. And it is also possible to conclude that the discussion is not going anywhere and just say that and leave. If both parties have put forth their points and it is clear there is going to be no meeting ground, then you can just agree to disagree. There are a number of issues though where one can't be a moral person and take this stance and that is when it gets difficult I guess.
There is no way I could claim to be an exceptional human being. I am one of life's hairy-arses I fear! On the occasions I've allowed myself to get heavy on internet forums I've generally gone to bed feeling bad about it. I love to argue face-to-face about all and sundry with all and sundry, but I need that face-to-face dimension for the heavy stuff. I do get myself involved sometimes but I usually end up regretting it. I should hire a Cornish castle, lay in a few barrels of Doom Bar and get y'all down here for a good argue!

Cheers Cynth - you're a true brick.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
emmline

Post by emmline »

SteveShaw wrote: I should hire a Cornish castle, lay in a few barrels of Doom Bar and get y'all down here for a good argue!
If you build it, I'll be there!