The BEHEMOTH Everybody on the Forum is (or has) a Cutie-Pie

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Soineanta is a cutie-pie with a big heart!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Soineanta, while what you say sounds nice and would, in an ideal world, be a good thing to do, this is not an ideal world. Animals, like people, are a product of not only their DNA but of their conditioning, and some of the adult animals in shelters have had really rough lives with the possibility of abuse or having been ignored (and thus not developing positive interactive behaviors in the formative years), and if you want an animal to be a certain way as an adult (when it will be with you for years and years), the best way to make that happen is to raise it from kittenhood or puppyhood. Of course there are exceptions, but I would rather raise an animal to my liking than spend years trying to undo someone else's bad animal parenting.

~Jessie
klezmusic
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by klezmusic »

On 2002-11-22 13:37, The Weekenders wrote:
Dear Klez:
In your nucular arguments [...]
Yeah, I know. Just last Febuary, I bought a bokay of aluminium flars to put on the night table, the one that came with my bedroom suit, where I keep my whistle collection. Speaking of whistles, I've been experimenting with a different armature, but the results so far have been misconcerting.

Wendina

--
B sharp, C?
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Jessie, you have a good point there.. it is true that some of the adult animals you'll find have been stuck in this tiny area without much interaction their whole lives. But not often, because very unfortunately, many animals are euthenized if they've been there a long period of time without any prospect of being adopted. Alot of the time the adult animals have been given up by families who had to move somewhere they couldn't bring a pet, or the owner was old and died, etc. What I'd say is always ask the shelter about that particular animal's background and go from there. It just breaks my heart to see all of these older animals being the last ones picked, because they're often just as sweet as the littl'uns!
Just my ha'pence. :smile:

Edited to thank Marguerite for classifying me as a cutie pie!
without troubling of a star." (Madeleine L'Engle)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soineanta on 2002-11-22 16:47 ]</font>
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

JessieK and Soineanta (both cutie-pies) both have valid points.

If you want to know a bit more about an older dog's history, try adopting from a breed rescue group. I've had my eye on the NJ Schnauzer rescue folks on PetFinder for a year or so and often there's a poor doggie soul whose loving owner has died or been forced into a dog-hostile nursing home.

They're living with Schnauzer-savvy foster families until they find their "forever home."

A friend of mine who does a lot of volunteer work for our shelter says the cats are more likely to just up and die before they have a chance to be adopted. So I know where my next cat is coming from...

Have a great weekend, all you cutie-pies!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yes, it is incredibly sad that so many animals are killed. But, as you mentioned, many of the animals are there because people moved to places that didn't allow animals, making it clear that the people who gave up those animals didn't care much about them, and if they didn't care much about them, then they didn't put much effort into raising them, and therefore, the animals will not have developed well. People are the same. I would rather marry a man raised by two intelligent and caring people who loved him than someone raised by people who didn't want a child and didn't interact well with him. It's very sad how many animals are killed because people wanted them when they were little and cute, but not when they got older. I have NO respect for people who abandon their animals, and dropping them off at a shelter is abandonment. Still, that doesn't negate the animals' histories, and I still think that the younger you (you being someone who is willing to put effort into raising and caring for animals) get them, the better they'll turn out. Children who go to kindergarten without having had intelligent conversations with their parents do worse in school (and life) than their better cared-for counterparts. Such, in my experience, is the case with animals, too. Of course there are exceptions.

~Jessie

Edited for typo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JessieK on 2002-11-22 17:07 ]</font>
klezmusic

Post by klezmusic »

When I adopted my kitties (the ones I lost this year in the fire), they were both adults. Squeak had been found by rescuers in an abandoned building along with her litter, and all her kittens were adopted immediately. She had been in the foster program for over a year (PG County Humane Society has no shelter and adheres to a no-kill policy) and they were depairing of finding a home for her when I came along looking for a tortie kitty.

She was painfully shy, terrified of people, and hid constantly under the furniture, but she was so grateful to finally have her own home. Working patiently, I eventually won her over and she turned into the sweetest thing on four paws.

I didn't have as easy a job with Sashi, the Maltese doggy that Marguerite was referring to. Sashi was 9 when I adopted her from a family who was moving to another state and to an apartment that didn't allow pets. They had her since she was a puppy, and she was spoiled rotten. She still has to wear diapers because she does unacceptable things when she is displeased.
Wendina

--
B sharp, C?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2002-11-22 12:38, klezmusic wrote:

"Living room suits" is another favorite.
Seems to me that the British say "suites."
Reasonable person
Walden
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-11-22 17:04, JessieK wrote:
[snip]... many of the animals are there because people moved to places that didn't allow animals, making it clear that the people who gave up those animals didn't care much about them, and if they didn't care much about them, then they didn't put much effort into raising them, and therefore, the animals will not have developed well. [...snip]
~Jessie
I think you're being too hard here and perhaps over-generalizing. The people who die or are forced into nursing homes often have no control over whether to keep the animals or where they are placed. It's heartbreaking for them to give up their only companion.

Save your contempt for the people who dump dogs and cats along the road, in the woods, and on the shelter grounds. Or just poison or shoot them.

And as for children...I've not-so-privately maintained that anyone who wants to become a parent should SUCCESSFULLY take a puppy through obedience training. The love, tolerance, patience, and consistency required are very similar for both activities. :smile:

M

oops--forgot to call anyone a cutie-pie. Walden--tag, you're it!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mvhplank on 2002-11-22 18:34 ]</font>
amar

Post by amar »

Hey, Jessie, thanks alot :smile::-)
(for calling a cutie pie!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: amar on 2002-11-22 18:59 ]</font>
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

*Scratches head and wonders what all she missed...*
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I was not referring to people who die unexpectedly. And as for elderly people with animnals, that is a tough one, because I know that animals extend life, but I think an old sick person getting a kitten or puppy and not making arrangements for the inevitable is irresponsible.

Amar, just telling the truth.

:smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JessieK on 2002-11-22 19:10 ]</font>
Kai

Post by Kai »

Well, >AHEM<

My family and I had cats and kittens for years...and many cruel people thought that we would always take more, so they anonymously dropped them off by our house!

We have found some of the sweetest cats and kittens (mostly cats) dropped off at our house, loaded them with attention and good manners, and managed to either find a home for them or keep them when we found a home for another one, or when one disappeared.

I happen to think that sometimes, though no stats can possibly be given on this thread, I am sure, SOMETIMES you can find the sweetest adult animals at shelters and adoption programs. The risky thing is that they can act all sweet and polite and cute when you are looking at them there, but when you take them home...

Maybe that's the time when you find out that they go to the bathroom all over the place except where they should. Etc.

I wish there was some guarantee that if you try the animal out and it has a bad habit or problem, you can reconsider and take it back. But also, I think people who take their pets TO the shelter should be required to pay something and provide a truthful history of habits, sicknesses, mannerisms...

I am sure none of this helps, but I agree with both people about this...sometimes they are great pets, and sometimes you are not so lucky. Use your head, your heart, and your patience to decide if you can teach and love an animal out of bad habits into new ones. It CAN be done...but only if you have the time to spend.
Kai

Post by Kai »

I forgot to say that the picture of the German band on that other link (Christian) was a very neat picture. I would have to ask my husband to translate (he's half German), but I could read your name and see which instruments you play!

Thanks for postin'!
Kai
~
Music is more than music.
amar

Post by amar »

Jessie, and the truth shall set you freeeeeeeeeeeee

got carried away there..