Bush: Intelligent Design Should Be Taught

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
IRTradRU?
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IRTradRU? »

TomB wrote:Excellent, thanks. That's still wrong, though. If they made you read the Koran, the Bible, etc., it would be better.
Well, Holy Amazing Grace! Yes, we agree - it IS wrong. But it became "law of the land" thanks to an activist judge in North Carolina.

Perhaps it would have been more appropriate for you to say, "Try getting a Bible class taught in a publicly-funded school and see what happens".

However, I still haven't seen any examples of The Bible being taught for it's religious content.
TomB

Post by TomB »

[quote="IRTradRU
University of North Carolina, in 2002, had a "required summer reading program" for all incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students. The required reading was: The Koran.

Several people sued to get it stopped. They lost. The Koran was made required reading.[/quote]

Hmm, are you sure this is correct? I did a quick internet research and from what I found they had to read a book ABOUT the Koran, not the Koran. That's kind of different.

You may be right, though, I had not heard of it earlier.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

IRTradRU wrote:Bloomfield: You got something constructive to add?

Sheesh. You ask for the weirdest things. :roll:
/Bloomfield
TomB

Post by TomB »

IRTradRU? wrote:
TomB wrote:Excellent, thanks. That's still wrong, though. If they made you read the Koran, the Bible, etc., it would be better.
Well, Holy Amazing Grace! Yes, we agree - it IS wrong. But it became "law of the land" thanks to an activist judge in North Carolina.

Perhaps it would have been more appropriate for you to say, "Try getting a Bible class taught in a publicly-funded school and see what happens".

However, I still haven't seen any examples of The Bible being taught for it's religious content.

Well, then in my view, you didn't read the article correctly.
TomB

Post by TomB »

missy wrote:Tom - I didn't mean that as criticism or a put down - I just meant that for ME, I need to have more details than this article represents. It's just my "anal" nature.

Sorry if I came off sounding superior - that honestly was the farthest thing from my mind. :oops:

S'ok. I tend to agree with you, one needs details on things, and that without taking such a class we can't be sure. I tend to want to err on the side of excluding it, for that very reason.

All's well. Tom
Last edited by TomB on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

TomB wrote: Hmm, are you sure this is correct? I did a quick internet research and from what I found they had to read a book ABOUT the Koran, not the Koran. That's kind of different.

Tom
Correct - not the Koran, but a book "on Islam".

So Freshmen and Transfers were required to read a book --- about a particular religion.

I don't see that as 'different'. It's wrong, and is so PC-based as to be well beyond the pale.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

TomB wrote:Well, then in my view, you didn't read the article correctly.
I wasn't referring to the article - I was referring to your comments.
TomB

Post by TomB »

IRTradRU? wrote:[Well, Holy Amazing Grace! Yes, we agree - it IS wrong. But it became "law of the land" thanks to an activist judge in North Carolina.

Hey, wait a minute, isn't Amazing Grace Holy by it's very nature?

I don't like the whole "activitist judge" thing. Seems to me, the entire judicial system is activist.

Tom
TomB

Post by TomB »

IRTradRU? wrote:
TomB wrote: Hmm, are you sure this is correct? I did a quick internet research and from what I found they had to read a book ABOUT the Koran, not the Koran. That's kind of different.

Tom
Correct - not the Koran, but a book "on Islam".

So Freshmen and Transfers were required to read a book --- about a particular religion.

I don't see that as 'different'. It's wrong, and is so PC-based as to be well beyond the pale.
Again, I tend to agree with you. I guess if we were having trouble with Israel, then they may have to read a book on the Torah, (but not the Torah..Torah..Torah).

Tom
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

TomB wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Actually, I took a world religion class in high school. Learned about most of the major religions EXCEPT Christianity. The reason was that it would not be possible to give a history of the majority’s religion without controversy. Later I found that many of the “facts” in that book were wrong.
Again, this compells me to bring up the bootstraps factor. At least you went so far as to find out that education doesn't necessarily mean accuracy of material, but then, what little I know about you has early on demonstrated that you're not given to taking things at face value. Good for you.

Gee, ID. Maybe we can meet up and you can teach me some critical thinking skills. I apparently, do not have any.
I must say that I'm a bit uncomfortable seeing the inclusion of my post in your ironic delivery above. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were feeling a bit touchy all around today. I certainly hope you realise that my comment was levelled solely at I.D.10-t and with no underhanded implications for anyone else about it.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

TomB wrote:Hey, wait a minute, isn't Amazing Grace Holy by it's very nature?

I don't like the whole "activitist judge" thing. Seems to me, the entire judicial system is activist.

Tom
Only when the "A" and "G" are capitalized. I'm waiting for the inevitable lawsuit that will come when a pipe band is "caught" playing the tune on a city street or in a city park. (only partly sarcastic there, it could happen).

I don't paint the entire judiciary with that wide brush - there are some astute judges who actually make rulings based on the law... but there are many more that put their own agendas into rulings that defy existing law, there's no doubting that.

The last thing I want in public schools (universities / colleges included) is for them to assume the role of teaching religion. It's bad enough that taxes are forced from my income to support the social feel-good hooey that passes for education these days - but it's gone too far lately. Kids today can barely write a coherent paragraph, and the education system wants to add in all this rigamarole in areas where they have no business entering (Air Guitar course, anyone?).
Last edited by IRTradRU? on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

TomB wrote:

Tom
I agree! This whole buzz word, spin phrase of "activist judge" raises my hackles beyond belief.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Teri-K wrote:
TomB wrote:

Tom
I agree! This whole buzz word, spin phrase of "activist judge" raises my hackles beyond belief.
You have to realize that "activist" as used by Brian and his ilk to refer to judicial decisions means "I didn't understand it" or "I don't agree with it," or (usually) both.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
TomB

Post by TomB »

Nanohedron wrote:
TomB wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: Again, this compells me to bring up the bootstraps factor. At least you went so far as to find out that education doesn't necessarily mean accuracy of material, but then, what little I know about you has early on demonstrated that you're not given to taking things at face value. Good for you.

Gee, ID. Maybe we can meet up and you can teach me some critical thinking skills. I apparently, do not have any.
I must say that I'm a bit uncomfortable seeing the inclusion of my post in your ironic delivery above. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were feeling a bit touchy all around today. I certainly hope you realise that my comment was levelled solely at I.D.10-t and with no underhanded implications for anyone else about it.

Nano: Sorry, Yeah, I guess I got a bit set-off there, but I did not think that your post made any implications towards me at all. I was just continuing with my being upset and grouchy. I'm over it now, though. Still, maybe I should just go home. I can delete my post to your's, if you'd like. I didn't mean anything else by it.

Tom
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

TomB wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
TomB wrote:

Nano: Sorry, Yeah, I guess I got a bit set-off there, but I did not think that your post made any implications towards me at all. I was just continuing with my being upset and grouchy. I'm over it now, though. Still, maybe I should just go home. I can delete my post to your's, if you'd like. I didn't mean anything else by it.

Tom
Nah. We're gettin' all warm and fuzzy now. Why spoil it? :D