Many Uilleann pipers have lost their only contacts w/others

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Beauford T Rosemondt III wrote:
mukade wrote:
Royce wrote: On the bright side, I just got a Mack Hoover PVC whistle in high D and it's a honey. I'm just waiting for my David Daye practice set....
As you seem to have some of the strongest views about the forum, I would like to hear your opinions.

What kind of discourse would you like to see if the forum returns?

Mukade
My opinion is that anyone who feels compelled to either assert an opinion or to solicit an opinion upon the advance of said forum, or any need for there to be any debate or discourse about the type, tone, or content of discourse in the formation or operation of any open, public group dedicated to the discussion of any topic whatsoever should stay the hell away from any uilleann pipe community on any level.

Other than that I'm open.

(Copyright (P) (C) 2005 BT Rosemondt

eeeeehhhhh...but a forum is not a scripted "rant" session à la Denis Leary, but a discussion. One shouldn't confuse "a free exchange of ideas" with "a free exchange of language" - in a forum (be it on the internet or in person) 'ideas' (even critical ones) are fine, but they must be framed in language that engenders a respectful exchange, not that simply berates, intimidates or ridicules a person...that (esp. intimidation) is as antithetical to "free speech" as less veiled forms of censorship.
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: ....................

Post by NicoMoreno »

Wanderer wrote:
biliii wrote:hi

i've taken all my content off the cnf's non-uilleann forums, once the uilleann forum terrorism is over i'll remove the rest.

pepsi sucks

bye
I think you missed a few..
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/search.php?se ... hor=biliii
Doesn't look like it to me...

Just the Pipe forum ones...

Sorry, just found one (1) on the flute forum
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

NicoMoreno wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
biliii wrote:hi

i've taken all my content off the cnf's non-uilleann forums, once the uilleann forum terrorism is over i'll remove the rest.

pepsi sucks

bye
I think you missed a few..

He musta gone in and cleaned them up..there were a bunch still in the flute and whistle forums. If you look, many of them have an edit date of 8-something in the morning, and many of them at 12:50-something...so I hope I helped him out.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Wanderer wrote:
NicoMoreno wrote:
Wanderer wrote: I think you missed a few..

He musta gone in and cleaned them up..there were a bunch still in the flute and whistle forums. If you look, many of them have an edit date of 8-something in the morning, and many of them at 12:50-something...so I hope I helped him out.
I was just ribbing you... ;)
biliii

Post by biliii »

Last edited by biliii on Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caj »

Peter Laban wrote:
Caj wrote: However, I think Dale was misinterpreted. I don't think he was planning on moving all these posts to another website or otherwise repurposing them.
There was not a lot of room for misinterpretation there, although it's not the first thing he's thinking of at the moment. We will (or won't) cross that bridge when we get there
You're right, my mistake.

That couldn't practically happen, because as another poster observed, you'd have to transfer account information too, like passwords, so people could edit their posts.

Caj
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

I'm quite amazed at how infectious it all is...we've got three posts running here on religion and not one argument has popped up even though I don't think any three people involved come from the same philosophy on the subject.

yet a thread about the UP forum descending into fighting and whatnot, descends into fighting itself.

curious.

just for the record, as the 'victim' mentioned earlier (I just now read this whole thread) that I never filed a complaint with dale or any other moderator and never asked that anyone be refused access. I hadn't even realized that it had happened and did respond in trying to explain myself, tho not in kind to what I received.

i don't know who complained originally, or if it was simply caught during a periodic check. nor did i complain when they came back with two other names.

my sole contention, and i believe this to be dale's philosophy as well, that there is an effective way to have an exchange of information and an ineffective way. the effective way is built on respect and empathy while the ineffective way reflects poorly on the community and subject (in this case UP) as a whole to anyone passing thru, as well as undermining what should be a sense of brotherhood (or sisterhood)...

pipers are few enough without new ones being scared away, and the instrument is difficult enough without ridicule in place of constructive criticism (and "give up" is not 'constructive criticism') from those with years or decades of experience
         \\
           \\
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

DaleWisely wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
DaleWisely wrote: Oh. Which one(s) would you like me to eliminate?

Dale
The pipe forum.
Don't tempt me.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

I.D.10-t wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:
Cranberry wrote: The pipe forum.
Don't tempt me.
I really think the number of forums is a great asset to CnF. Not that I'm looking to make work for Dale, but a fiddle forum would be cool to round things out. I know that it would greatly exceed the original purpose of CnF but a forum for each of the major Irish instruments (UP, whistle, flute, fiddle, boxes, and even TradFrets and bodhráin) + the ones for general Trad stuff and general stuff stuff would provide a unique repository of knowledge for trad musicians of all stripes. CnF is in a unique position to do this effectively.

However, the creator's stated interest is in whistles, so I doubt the motivation or desire are there...after the UP stuff starting another forum no matter how well intentioned could probably be called some form of masochism...

-2¢
         \\
           \\
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Dale has stated in the past that the reason there is no concertina forum is because there's a rather fantastic one already at concertina.net . I think as a kind of professional courtesy he's not encroaching on Paul's little corner of the web. Sounds quite fair to me.

I imagine the same idea applies for fiddle; I understand there are several good sites filling different fiddling needs.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

true, and I must say I haven't frequented the other forums much until mine was locked, but there is something to be said for having them all in one place, with one combined search engine.

ah, well, it's dale's baby...what can you do?

:party:
         \\
           \\
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

NicoMoreno wrote:
Wanderer wrote: He musta gone in and cleaned them up..there were a bunch still in the flute and whistle forums. If you look, many of them have an edit date of 8-something in the morning, and many of them at 12:50-something...so I hope I helped him out.
I was just ribbing you... ;)
Heh, that's what happens when I post at work, neck deep in code. I get all literal minded ;)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Antaine wrote: a forum for each of the major Irish instruments (UP, whistle, flute, fiddle, boxes, and even TradFrets and bodhráin) + the ones for general Trad stuff and general stuff stuff would provide a unique repository of knowledge for trad musicians of all stripes. CnF is in a unique position to do this effectively.
I don't think a further expansion of what I already there would be a good idea. I don't know what makes you think this forum would be unique enough to pull it off. A good and sensibly informed discussion of 'general trad stuff' is unfortunately a rarity. It's good fun and all that but Royce (or one of his alter ego's) does have a point at times when announcing his lates whitecap purchase. If you simply look at the irish trad forum here, quality of the posts has gone down the tubes considerably in recent times in favour of those who want to ramble a bit more about the next Corr album.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

eric wrote:I could be wrong, so this is something for the admins to check, but I understand transfering a PhPBB forum to another site also involves user acct information stored in the DB, including passwords, IPs, hidden email addresses, etc. So, if people are concerned about a certain level of privacy, transfering involves more than just the content of posts.
People like yourself and Peter Labam, who are actually able to think clearly, have made it clear that what seemed like a simple matter really isn't and probably, if the board were to be permanently locked, the posts would just have to languish there.

I am very confident we'll be able to unlock the board. To use the passive voice, it's being worked on.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Make it so daddy... please make it so.