Everybody has an end of the world prediction but us

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Re: Everybody has an end of the world prediction but us

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My personal prediction is the World will end with a nuclear exchange after the rest of the world discovers just exactly how much of a mess London has made of the Olympics. So that would be sometime between 27th July 2012 and 12th August 2012. The rumour is that Chas and Dave are playing at the opening Ceremony. That should put most people in a frame of mind to welcome the end.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nuthin' wrong with Chas 'n' Dave. I hope they get Keith Chegwin to do some of the announcements ...
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The end has occurred. Earth was born anew and the inhabitants repopulated. Knowledge of this event would change the rebirth so all memories of the event were wiped.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Mon May 02, 2011 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

I.D.10-t wrote:The end has occurred. Earth was born anew and the inhabitants repopulated. Knowledge of this event would make change the rebirth so all memories of the event were wiped.
This is essentially what happens when I use my transporter, I wasn't aware the experience could be any different.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Innocent Bystander wrote:just exactly how much of a mess London has made of the Olympics.
I don't believe it. Not after all the self-congratulatory chatter last week that the Brits do pomp and ceremony better than anyone. In light of that success, I propose that Kate Middleton's wedding dress be made the official uniform of the Olympics, and horse-drawn carriages the official transportation. The sudden enthusiasm of 12-year old girls everywhere for the Olympic games will guarantee a successful outcome, no matter what.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Innocent Bystander wrote:The rumour is that Chas and Dave are playing at the opening Ceremony.
If you tell me who Dave is, we can probably have a decent set together by the Olympics.

I don't think the world can end till at least 802,701 . Either that or HG Wells got it totally wrong.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dwest

Post by dwest »

I'll be surprised if in the year 2525 man is still alive or that woman has survived.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Yes, but if they are they may find.

Find what? That's what I want to know.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Oh, they're going to mess up the Olympics, there is no prediction in that.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Wow, Mayan calendar, end of world. This explains everything about the Federal Reserve and the country's spending. :tomato:

What is world ends on December 22, 2012? - a day late, hmmm, after all - prophets are held to great accuracy - this would make them wrong. Ok, lets make that the 23rd so that they can't use the International date line and time zones as an excuse.

Ever notice that those site that suggest you buy six months in advance usually have a store to sell "survival" foods.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
dwest

Post by dwest »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote: Ever notice that those site that suggest you buy six months in advance usually have a store to sell "survival" foods.
It never hurts to have "survival foods" in the pantry, when you get a sudden unexpected break in work and you want to take a hike in the mountains, having some freeze dried Mountain House or Richmoor is just what you need. Ramps are up right now, they can really improve the flavour of freeze dried food.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

A low whistle shall call forth the end of times. Please do not let it be bagpipes or a concertina. Bagpipes would make some sense but I think folks would just laugh if it was a concertina. An ocarina would be old school but no one would know what it was. And the moment would be ruined by having to tell everyone, "You know, Zelda's Ocarina of Time thingy."
Last edited by mutepointe on Mon May 02, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Nothing like a nice subsonic whistle to make the Earth move under your feet.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

mutepointe wrote:I like the word "smite", let's try to fit that into the prediction somewhere.
Poetically, smite is sometimes used to describe the strike or touch of a musical instrument. I'm going to interpret this bit from William Cowper's "The Task" as a preference for, say, a whistle or flute at the end of days as opposed to something more crass.

Ah, tinkling cymbal, and high-sounding brass,
Smitten in vain! such music cannot charm
The eclipse that intercepts truth’s heavenly beam,
And chills and darkens a wide wandering soul.
The still small voice is wanted.

Of course, the word smite is also associated with the game of cricket. In "Life, the Universe, and Everything" Douglas Adams made it clear that the end of universe would come when the renegade Krikkit robots manage to reassemble the Wikkit Gate. Since a key component thereof are The Ashes, I propose that we form a C&F whistling vigil around the Marylebone Cricket Museum at Lords. A rousing rendition of The Peeler's Jacket should repel even the most hostile of aliens. I suppose that does mean we will have to keep paying our credit card bills.
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

chas wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:The rumour is that Chas and Dave are playing at the opening Ceremony.
If you tell me who Dave is, we can probably have a decent set together by the Olympics.

I don't think the world can end till at least 802,701 . Either that or HG Wells got it totally wrong.
I didn't know it was possible to separate them.
The "Dave" part is Dave Peacock. There already is a "Chas" part, known as Charles Hodges.

Herbert George got the nuclear bomb wrong... he described it as a kind of continuous explosion. And his machines from the "War in the Air" went "clitter-clock". Not "Brrrreeeeeeeyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!" There hasn't been an Air Conference in Basra yet, unless they're keeping it very quiet. Did he get anything right? Oh... the Morlocks thing I suppose.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!