Veni. Vidi. Vici.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Veni. Vidi. Vici.

Post by cowtime »

Well early congratulations to you too, sir.! :thumbsup:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Wooooooo Davy! Mine won't be official until late may or early june either. But I have passed all my classes and assigments, so the diploma is on the way!
T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Congrats! How long did it take, in all?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
oregonden

Post by oregonden »

Congratulations, Tom and Davy! Lots of commitment and academic study on your part. I remember some years back, it took me 5 1/2 years to earn my BA Magna Cum Laude at a young...gasp...fifty-two years of age. Well done, gentlemen. :) :party: :thumbsup:
Make It Fun!
Dunphys Hornpipe
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Many congratulations to you both!
Ro and Lesley
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

To answer a couple questions:

Simon, it took me about a year and three quarters, finishing one three-credit class every eight weeks.

Doug's question is harder. If I had it to do over again, I might go for a summer program in music ed. The online option is wonderful for those of us who live in rural areas far from universities (the nearest one is a four hour drive away). That, and the flexibility of being able to study while working full time, are the main advantages. Disadvantages include not being able to simply talk to your professor/classmates; everything is asynchronous and there is no social aspect. In other words, all the bad stuff of college and none of the good stuff. :)

Many of the advantages of online education are rather overblown, in my opinion. You might hear alot about the increased individualization of education. I thing that at most schools, that is baloney. They talk about differentiation, but in practice they use the cookie-cutter model for the same reason everyone else does: It is cheap and easy for the school. The flexibility thing is somewhat overstated, too. Sure, the classes aren't at a set time. But that is mostly because there ARE no classes, in the traditional sense. You are pretty much on your own to teach yourself. And dealing with the book store, library, business office, financial aid, and so on are even less fun online than in real life.

I'm still digesting everything, but my overall feeling is that I learned a great deal, but it was almost more in spite of my university than because of it. And let me tell you, after going home from a hard day of teaching little kids, reading out of an education textbook for two hours is the LAST thing I want to do.

So yes, I advise it if it is the best way for you. In my case, it was the only way. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity. Now that it's done. :D
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Wyobadger

You did it quicker than me - 2 academic years for the academic stuff, plus a further 9 months on the research topic and thesis.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps