Looking to learn a new instrument.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Which new instrument should I learn

Fiddle
35%
Harp
15%
Button Accordion
12%
Concertina
23%
Other/please name one
15%

Total votes: 26

Cork
antispam: No

Re: Looking to learn a new instrument.

Post by Cork »

Coffee wrote:...with training you should be able to get three-plus full octaves out of it.
A human voice, at 3+ octaves, now, that could call for some serious training, although it has been known to be done.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Thanks Izzy, now I have that on my mind. It's a better than the one it replaces that has been haunting me for the last three days, I've even been humming it at work- Les Toreadors from Carmen. It's on our summer concert and I can get the other tunes from Carmen, but that one is driving me crazy. My tongue is just too slow. :evil: I just finished practicing it for the ??time and I still can't get it fast enough. I've tried to learn double tonguing but that's not going well. Grrrrr
Yeah, that cool cat tune is much better, think I'll listen again.. humming "is you is... 8)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'd like to recommend mandolin. There are some really nice Asian imported ones that play well and are pretty inexpensive. The frets make perfect placement of the fingers less of an issue than on fiddle. Playing scales is pretty intuitive. Unlike the fiddle, there's no bowing involved, which would otherwise add a whole extra layer of complexity. The fingering is the same as fiddle, so if you ever get the urge to learn fiddle, you'll be one step ahead of the game. The mandolin and whistle play in roughly the same range, so everything you already know on whistle will be easily played on mandolin. At any given session, I play about half and half whistle and mandolin. Wonderful instrument.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Cork wrote:
Coffee wrote:...with training you should be able to get three-plus full octaves out of it.
A human voice, at 3+ octaves, now, that could call for some serious training, although it has been known to be done.
Heh, come to think of it I only have two octaves and up to soh of the third. So... my oops.

(*edit* I can finish the 3rd octave in falsetto. But falsetto doesn't count.)
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Cork

Post by Cork »

Coffee wrote:
Cork wrote:
Heh, come to think of it I only have two octaves and up to soh of the third. So... my oops.

(*edit* I can finish the 3rd octave in falsetto. But falsetto doesn't count.)
Good on you!

My singing voice, which doesn't amount to much, MIGHT get to an octave and a half, but only on a really, really good day.

;-)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I voted harp. That way you could go with either a harp harp or a harmonica harp. This was the instrument with which I have no experience.

I do like the idea of a double bass though.

We have a violin that I tried learning once and I think I'm going to give it a go again. I quit when I couldn't get over the strings being backwards from a guitar. This was way back before I learned how to play the whistle left-handed and then the simple flute and then the silver flute right-handed and then the simple flute ambidexterously. So I think I might be able to get over the strings being backwards.

We will want to know what you decide.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Cello. Or a cheap, screechy chinese fiddle strung with octave strings.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Concertina! You don't have to tune it, and it fits under the seat in front of you or in the overhead compartment.

Or nyckelharpa. Nyckelharpas are neat. But they have none of the advantages of the concertina listed above.
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Thanks for all of the advice; those were some good considerations. But, I think I might choose the fiddle. There are some great fiddlers around here who also teach. I think they are bluegrass style :shock: , but I just need to learn the basics. I did fine with learning by myself on the flute. Thanks guys. :D :thumbsup:
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

What I would suggest is having a bit of a play with each instrument that you are interested in; you may find that one 'speaks' to you more strongly than the others.

I've dabbled at piano, guitar, flute, clarinet, trumpet, saxophone, recorder, hammered dulcimer, bodhrán, even uilleann pipes...but the first time a concertina was put in my hands it was just instinctive to begin playing. Only anglo, mind; I've tried English and Duet since then but they didn't have the same spark for me.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

avanutria wrote:What I would suggest is having a bit of a play with each instrument that you are interested in; you may find that one 'speaks' to you more strongly than the others.

I've dabbled at piano, guitar, flute, clarinet, trumpet, saxophone, recorder, hammered dulcimer, bodhrán, even uilleann pipes...but the first time a concertina was put in my hands it was just instinctive to begin playing. Only anglo, mind; I've tried English and Duet since then but they didn't have the same spark for me.
That is a good idea, but I have no idea where I can borrow instruments, and I sure can't afford all of them. I had fun playing the accordion once, but that was so confusing for me. I used to play the violin and saxophone back in middle school, but I forgot all of it since then. I actually really enjoyed the violin most back then. Hopefully it might come back to me.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

The Whistle Collector wrote:Thanks for all of the advice; those were some good considerations. But, I think I might choose the fiddle.
hello, hydrocortisone! :party:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hppOzRGGe8

Not at his best...

Check out some of his many albums.

De man..absolutely.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hppOzRGGe8

Not at his best...

Check out some of his many albums.

De man..absolutely.

Slan,
D. :)
Look at the ROSIN on his fiddle!! :boggle: I get stressed when I have an overabundance on the strings, let alone on the fiddle itself.

Great stuff, as always, D :thumbsup:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Heck, I wouldn't care if I had rosin all over the dang thing if I could play such as that! On whatever instrument :thumbsup: /
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West