When you can't sleep...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Thomaston
antispam: No

Re: When you can't sleep...

Post by Thomaston »

dubhlinn wrote:
Thomaston wrote:I usually end up here!

I know.
I've often seen you here at silly hours.
Apart from the refuge of the Chiff I tend to get out of bed and read something heavy and complicated..that often works.

Slan,
D.
:) I work a night shift job that's often very boring, so that accounts for a lot of it, too.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

I count sheep. I mouth the "baaaaa" sound and see the little sheep faces, and that amuses me. I count 1 to 9 then start back at 1, or start at 9 and count down to 1 then start back at 9. That way it isn't discouraging after a long count.
djm

Post by djm »

Keep that damned racket down, will you? What are you doing to those sheep to keep them making all that noise, anyways? :x

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

djm wrote:Keep that damned racket down, will you? What are you doing to those sheep to keep them making all that noise, anyways? :x

djm

You still awake?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Well, tonight I can't sleep because the wind is blowing so hard it sounds like my house is about to come apart. Hard to do much about that except wait it out.

Also: Happy new year! :boggle:

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

If I had nothing to do the next day I'd probably put in earphones and go round tidying the house, or sit and watch a movie if I was feeling lazy.

To get to sleep I usually listen to audiobooks, spoken word not dramatised. As long as I know the story it sends me to sleep rather than keeping me awake. Music never works for me as a soporific.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks everybody. This is what I ended up doing:

It took five hours, but it passed the time quickly. :)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

That is a very cool pic, Jack.

I read whatever novel or short stories I've been currently reading. My tastes run to all sorts of things. The Saki recommendation is a good one.
I keep going back to Sherlock Holmes. I'm currently reading a Robin Cook novel. Kinky Friedman is a hoot (but with his stuff, I'm likely to wake up my wife with my laughing). Ditto for Dave Barry.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks Paul. I call it "leaving the Mothership." :)
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Chiff: The Final Frontier.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

I usually wait for half an hour or so, in case sleep suddenly sneaks back. If it doesn't, I get up, so that I don't disturb Ro. I make coffee, like James, go into the sitting room and read, listen to music or play quiet whistle. I read whichever book I am currently reading.

If I am worrying about something specific I will deal with it, either by doing whatever it is or making notes for the morning. If it is just general "stuff", I usually relax enough eventually to go back to bed. If I don't have to work the next day I treat the extra time as a bonus, when I can get all sorts of things done, or go outside and look at the stars, which restores a sense of proportion. If I have to work it is more stressful, as I know I will not be at my best, but it is only one night, after all! The next one will be better!

Lesley
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Sleeplessness is not a problem for me. Emergencies will awaken me, but I go right back to sleep. I have slept through actual hurricanes. The last time I had a problem sleeping was in that hotel in Orlando -- the one with that thing in my room. Whatever it was. <Brrr!>

If I'm keyed up, I might have trouble actually getting to sleep. In that case, I simply read something work-related, preferably something that has a deadline attached to it. I'll be asleep within a paragraph.

The Silmarillon, as well as any and all books written about Tolkein, are equally soporific.

I second the recommendation to try meditation. You'll either go to sleep or have a successful meditation, both of which are ok.

As for reading in bed when you're not trying to sleep, I highly recommend the Saki! Also, P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves stories.
Cotelette d'Agneau
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

the one with that thing in my room
I don't catch the reference; I must have missed that story.

Sounds interesting, though...if you'd like to write about it, I'd like to read about it. :wink:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
djm

Post by djm »

Or you could pray. I've always liked this one from Humperdinck's Hänsel und Gretel:

When at night I go to sleep,
Fourteen angels watch over me:
Two are here beside me,
Two stand there to guide me,
Two are on my right hand,
Two are on my left hand,
Two more come to wake me,
Two more come to take me,
Two more gently call to me and light
The path to heaven.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I have a tech manual that was written in the early 70s. Its heavy, both content and weight, and it will put you to sleep one way or the other. The sheer weight of it means you can't use your arms to prop it up so it has to be read on its side.