moth balls or something similar

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: moth balls or something similar

Post by MTGuru »

dwest wrote:Moth balls do work to keep the borers out of the peach, plum, and nectarines trees. We also have a whole fleet of them floating in the rivah here.
Why are your fruit trees floating in the river? :twisted:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

dwest wrote:I like to use cheap Brooks cycling jerseys as a sacrificial offering to protect my Moltenis. :lol:
Over my dead body!!! :-)
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

MTGuru wrote:
dwest wrote:Moth balls do work to keep the borers out of the peach, plum, and nectarines trees. We also have a whole fleet of them floating in the rivah here.
Why are your fruit trees floating in the river? :twisted:
I think those are called rafts???
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

djm wrote:The trouble with cedar is that it eventually dries out and stops working.

djm
That is what I have read, you can buy the volatile cedar oils and use those for prevention.

Air tight containers should work if the garment is bug free.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

Having grown up in a family of spinners and weavers I do know a thing or two about wool. There are two terrestrial arthropods one has to be concerned about regarding wool and other natural animal fibers. The first of course is the wool moth the second and my personal favorite is the dermestid beetle, a species I have currently living in my mudroom inside several large jars where they are contracting with me for the bird bone cleaning work.
Fiber hygiene is the most important aspect to keeping these fellows away from clothing. All natural fibers need to be kept very clean, the dermestids get attracted to food particles/stains on clothing. Additionally the dust bunnies hopping around homes are to be eradicated with extreme prejudice. Animal hair is floating in the air of every home. When it settles into the nooks and crannies of your house, and coalesces into dust bunnies, it provides the prefect habitat for moths and dermestids. They particularly enjoy the places where walls meet, corners, ceilings, baseboards, etc.
My wife who was a complete innocent, non-weaver, before she met my mother and sisters has more wool in our home than a sheep ranch yet we have never had a wool moth, unlike my mother's home or my sister's homes. We have had the occasional dermestid, who likely was an individual failing to honor his/her contract with me, but I have usually found them on a curtain or something before they could cause any damage.
I do use cedar, Juniperus virginiana. Cedar can be "renewed" with a light sanding, even really old cedar or you can purchase cedar oil. There is some evidence that humans and animals can develop respiratory sensitivity to some cedars, especially cedar beds for pets, so it is best to keep it confined to airtight spaces unless it is sealed in which case it doesn't have any repellant qualities.
We even sleep on a wool bed, like a feather bed only better, that is several generations old that has never had any signs of moths or dermestids. I own a wood trunk that was built by my great-great grandfather in Co. Limmerick that contains a coverlet woven by my great-great grandmother when she was 65 and a coverlet woven by my great grand mother when she was in her fifties. As far as I can tell the trunk is pine, likely Pinus sylvestris but it is very tightly made so not even a little dermestid could squeeze inside.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

dwest wrote:the second and my personal favorite is the dermestid beetle
I did snip that mercilessly...but this little tidbit just hit me weird. I guess I just can't imagine having a "personal favorite" beetle :lol:

The rest of your post was great...I also have a spinner in my house, and I didn't realise these insects like the dust bunnies. I guess that'll get her to clean her room, huh? ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
dwest

Post by dwest »

izzarina wrote:
dwest wrote:the second and my personal favorite is the dermestid beetle
I did snip that mercilessly...but this little tidbit just hit me weird. I guess I just can't imagine having a "personal favorite" beetle :lol:

The rest of your post was great...I also have a spinner in my house, and I didn't realise these insects like the dust bunnies. I guess that'll get her to clean her room, huh? ;)
I can get you an address or two to form your own colonies if interested? :lol: Beetles are extremely important animals and some are incredibly beautiful, the dermestid not so much. But they are good workers and I only have to pay them with dead bodies. And I get the bones left over which go into collections at museums and universities. These colonies I have are the descendants of a colony I started in Arizona in 1972, they're family! :lol: :wink:
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

dwest wrote:I can get you an address or two to form your own colonies if interested?
We'd be interested in that-- it would be a great homeschool project!

There was an episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe where they were cleaning off big mammal bones to prepare them for museums. They used the dermestid technique too, as a final step. Out of consideration for Izzy I won't describe the previous steps!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Caroluna wrote:
dwest wrote:I can get you an address or two to form your own colonies if interested?
We'd be interested in that-- it would be a great homeschool project!

There was an episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe where they were cleaning off big mammal bones to prepare them for museums. They used the dermestid technique too, as a final step. Out of consideration for Izzy I won't describe the previous steps!
Best not to mention brain syringes eh? Now I don't know these businesses and you might have better luck contacting a local ent. society, local natural history museum, or find a body. :) I have recuited for my colony when it was low, plus I needed some fly species for breeding, by using mice carcasses. http://www.dermestidbeetlecolonies.com/
http://www.skulltaxidermy.com/kits.html