My 12-year-old daughter ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Re: My 12-year-old daughter ...

Post by emmline »

NicoMoreno wrote:Image

http://www.xkcd.com/314/
This is excellent, btw, and I am interested to be able to prove mathematically, and far too late to be of any use, that it was creepy of the spouse-man to date me when the whole rigmarole began:
So, he was 35, and therefore eligible (35/2 + 7= 24.5) to date a person of 24.5.
Oops. I was only 21.
What should I do?
I know. I will post a creepy Facebook profile pic. Wait. I already did. Wheeew!

Out of curiosity, we will solve for x, just to see when we should have started dating (x being my age):

(x + 14)/2 + 7 = x (shiznit...I forgot how to do algebra...ok...wait...)

(x + 14)/2 + 14/2 = x

x + 28/2 = x

(&%$^#^...and some non-algebraic cheating....ok, I got it, I got it...no, seriously...I got it...)

x=28. yep. And again, oops. That's how old I was when daughter #3 was born. Serious creepage went down, but I
think the statute of limitations has expired.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

You might try my mother's technique -- a confidential warning to the young man's mother that insanity ran in the family.

When I moved to a different school where no one had known me before, she escalated her effort to a claim that I had just been released from "an institution." The mothers' emergency notification network did the rest, and I was rendered a social outcast until I left for college.
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Lambchop wrote:You might try my mother's technique -- a confidential warning to the young man's mother that insanity ran in the family.

When I moved to a different school where no one had known me before, she escalated her effort to a claim that I had just been released from "an institution." The mothers' emergency notification network did the rest, and I was rendered a social outcast until I left for college.
I like that. Wish I'd a thought of it. Hmmm, YES it would have worked!

Having been through that with both mine, you have my sympathy. Em's right, about two weeks is the length of each infatuation at that age. Of course you always have the horror stories in the back of your mind .... I know that when my two were that age and then when older and dating, most of the boys were truly scared of my dh. He had much more of a problem with them dating than I and said the reason was that he was that age once and he knew how he was....

Oh, and the only use for those shotguns is for a true "shotgun wedding".

On a serious note- you might want to give her, no, have her mother give her, Dr. Laura's 10 Stupid Things Women do to Mess Up Their Lives-no girl wants this book from her dad.
http://www.amazon.com/Stupid-Things-Wom ... dogpile-20
- (I don't agree with a lot of her stuff, but this one is pretty good.I'd have given it to mine had I had it back then. I gave it to my 30 yr old last year and we ruefully joked at the fact it was a bit late, since she'd managed to check off most of the list, but we also agreed it's never too late to learn something.)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

My husband asks the guys "How fast can you run?"...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
ElaineT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ElaineT »

cowtime wrote: On a serious note- you might want to give her, no, have her mother give her, Dr. Laura's 10 Stupid Things Women do to Mess Up Their Lives-no girl wants this book from her dad.
http://www.amazon.com/Stupid-Things-Wom ... dogpile-20
- (I don't agree with a lot of her stuff, but this one is pretty good.I'd have given it to mine had I had it back then. I gave it to my 30 yr old last year and we ruefully joked at the fact it was a bit late, since she'd managed to check off most of the list, but we also agreed it's never too late to learn something.)
I could have used a copy of that. I had to learn the hard way.

As for the 12-year old, chaperone, chaperone, chaperone. 12-year old kids who think they're "dating" do not need privacy.
djm

Post by djm »

hyldemoer wrote:Did I ever mention that when my daughter was a teenager all the guys she dated were confused about my Wicca religion and its relationship to Santeria?
I really like that song. Does that count?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

emmline wrote:Fyffer...my experience in these matters projects that to be "dating" someone at age 12 means, in layman's terms, that
you might walk to class together if your trajectories coincide...you might prevail upon a parent to take you and your bf to see Jurassic Park 3 (or current equivalent) during which you will awkwardly ignore each other...but mostly you will be able to claim the right--in conversations with peers--that you are "going out with" so and so. And that it will last roughly 3.5 weeks. maybe.
Don't worry. Yet.
Let me clarify: My daughter went to the movies on Friday last week with about a thousand of her friends. She sat next to her "boyfriend" and they held hands. She didn't want to tell us about him so we wouldn't think it was a "date". I said to her, I had no problem if she went on a "date" with a group of her friends. I also said that if she wanted to go on said "date" with just him, that would be OK as well, to which she replied with the requisite roll of the eyes, "Dad, that would just be awkward."
Thank God for small favors.

And Emm, we seem to be in a similar boat - the beautiful daughter problem. Gonna be fightin' 'em off with a stick soon, I know, but my girl's got a good head -- at least for now.
:)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
emmline

Post by emmline »

fyffer wrote: And Emm, we seem to be in a similar boat - the beautiful daughter problem. Gonna be fightin' 'em off with a stick soon, I know, but my girl's got a good head -- at least for now.
:)
Plan to give up the sticks once college starts. At this point you must wash your hands of it except in that
you (or maybe their mother) must do your best to offer non-judgmental counsel and support, hoping that your
support role will not turn out to be that of babysitter.
dwest

Post by dwest »

I met my wife when we were both twelve. :o I was a sweet innocent until she got her hooks in me let me tell ya. I was the only one out of all the boys who dated the girls in her family who didn't get taken to the basement for a "talk." I also was the only one who formally asked if I could take his daughter on a date, my mother didn't raise no fool, plus she told me I had to ask. I also asked his permission for her hand in marriage. Our priest thought that was so humorous he shared it with the whole parish, several times. But that was a few years after we were twelve. She's still just as cute though.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Well, my lovely wife and I have only just left the "creepy zone." After almost five years of marriage. shrug. :D
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
emmline

Post by emmline »

WyoBadger wrote:Well, my lovely wife and I have only just left the "creepy zone." After almost five years of marriage. shrug. :D
Yeah, well...sometimes you just have to embrace the creepiness.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

brewerpaul wrote:Tell her you like the boy: that'll put her off!
:lol: :lol:
And, yes, probably effective for some.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

Your daughter brings a young man home,
Says "Do you like him Paw?"
Just tell'er he's a fool and then
You've got a son in law...
...you've got a son in law...oooohhhhh...
Sure as the June comes right after May,
Sure as the night comes right after day,
You can be sure the devil's to pay,
The minute that you say no!