Do you read music?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you read music?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:55 am

No, not at all.
4%
A little.
36%
Very well.
45%
Professional level.
15%

Total votes: 75

gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

What is the difference between ancient Greek and alto clef?

Some people can still read ancient Greek.

And I can read music much better than I can play it.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

BillChin wrote:I can work through it, but it is painful. I believe I am "dot dyslexic," and that a good percentage of the population is that way. That certain people just have a very difficult time processing the dots, just as some have a difficult time with printed letters.
Actually, often dyslexic people have no trouble reading music! (and chinese writing)
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

mutepointe wrote:my big skill in reading music is sight transposition. on the whistle and flute, i can read a piece of music in Ab and play it in G and Eb in D or C. i would actually have quite a bit of trouble actually playing the song in Ab. on a harmonica i have to transpose everything in my head to the key of C and use the harmonica in the right key. it's still too big a jump for me to get from G to C. when i play the guitar, i transpose the chords and have very little clue which key i'm going to. i just know the song is easier to play. why play something in C# when it can be easily played in C?

i play with a small group of folk musicians and sometimes we use different sheet music in different keys and we converge to one single key. sometimes we don't converge well. playing in 2 or 3 different keys at the same time is immediately obvious.

edited and added: and on the keyboard, i can play in what i call the opposite key. for example, sheet music written in the key of 5 b's can be played the same in the key of 2 #'s. i'm a slacker through and through.
Yes I see what you mean. D flat major becomes D major and A flat major --> A major. This is very convenient! I believe the trick to transpose music at sight is to pretend you are singing from sheet music. Not to think that a particular fingering on the whistle is a particular note but rather thinking "one fifht up" or "one minor third down".
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

With a great deal of shame I voted A Little. I am a little north of that. I can sight sing, but I have no idea if I'm on key or not. I can sight read simple tunes. Fancy time signatures throw me off. Too high or too low (too many bars under the note) really confuses me. I like to hear the music at least once in order to truly understand.

I used to be so much better. Who knew you could actually forget how to read music. I've had to claw my way back to as bad as I am. I'm good enough for the Irish stuff though.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
djm

Post by djm »

Diane, I just noticed your tag line and checked out some tunes. It appears you have very squeeky lips ... or perhaps a parrot, but I'm going with squeeky lips.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

djm wrote:Diane, I just noticed your tag line and checked out some tunes. It appears you have very squeeky lips ... or perhaps a parrot, but I'm going with squeeky lips.

djm
I have 3 parrots and 4 budgies. The one you hear is a blue crowned conure.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
djm

Post by djm »

Ah, I see. Two lips versus three parrots; I really didn't stand a chance, did I?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
evenstr

Post by evenstr »

If I have heard the song recently, I can sight read almost perfectly (although whether that's technically sight reading is beyond me). If I know the song, but haven't heard it within the last, oh, 24 hours, I can do fairly well. Without knowing the tune, I play the song all wrong, although it is an excellent way to write music. I picked "very well", because I did play in my school band for four years, but I truly was a bit helpless until I knew what the song was supposed to sound like.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

I said "very well", but I'm a bit below that... but definately not "a little". there's a HUGE gap between your "a little" and "very well"... I bet a lot of people are in between those two.
Caroluna
antispam: No

Post by Caroluna »

"a little"

This is something I've wanted to get better at, for years and years. Just like wanting to lose weight, or to organize the basement. Someday!

Definitely gets better if I keep at it very regularly.

The best I've ever been was when I was working on learning the alto part to Handel's Messiah (participating in a choir) and spent lots and lots of time listening to the CD while following the score. The patterns really started to jump out at me. During that time if I heard other music being played I would actually see notes streaming by-- just like in Fantasia.

Of course, who knows if they were the right notes or not :lol:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♫
Reasonable person
Walden
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My sight reading depends on the instrument- on piano pretty well, depending on the type music and degree of difficulty- on whistle I prefer to learn a tune by ear because it is often not written as it is played, but I can sight read it decently and the same is true for pipes. I'm currently learning to read drum scores because I'm playing percussion in the local orchestra for the first time and those squiggles and Xs are a whole new world for me. :P
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

Between "a little" and "very well", and it depends on the instrument I'm playing (recorder -- closer to very well, whistle -- somewhat south of that, harp -- down to "a little"). It helps if the tune only has quarter notes, no rests, and is in 4/4 time :wink:

The breakthrough on the whistle came when I realized that that covering six holes produces a D just like it does on the soprano recorder...
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

gonzo914 wrote:What is the difference between ancient Greek and alto clef?

Some people can still read ancient Greek.
:lol: I actually can read both alto and tenor clef--comes from my euphonium upbringing. Over the course of my college performance career, I had to become fluent in all four clefs, which comes in handy since I can now play most instrument parts on the euphonium, once I do the math and figure out which clef to read it in.

Tom (a certified music geek)
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I speak fluent tenor clef from my time as a bassoonist. :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up